Certified Legendary Thread Eagles - Potential Premiers 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you got your own problems sunshine

I expected reasoning or a legitimate argument supported by facts & statistics at a minimum, not a hostile, childish,
arms crossed and pouty response.

You mistake me for one of these ''Us vs Them'' morons.
I do not subscribe to that footy club vs footy club BS.

This makes no sense at all, of course i am able to (just like you) select individuals from a list
that i believe do not belong in that list to object their inclusion.

What are you even trying to say?
Is there a second forward in the league who has kicked 45 goals a year as consistently as Darling ? he isn't an elite KP first forward but close to elite second forward.

Honestly, how this thread (which is taking the piss) has survived is hilarious!
C'mon Vardy, Darling, Lycett ''Elite''?

Think the op missed a full stop there after Naitanui and sure Darling isnt elite yet but its not a stretch at 24 he will get better.

As for 'taking the piss' after the past two flags anyone with a half decent list with a good solid game plan and the required mental application and a bit of luck can snatch a flag.

This makes no sense at all, of course i am able to (just like you) select individuals from a list
that i believe do not belong in that list to object their inclusion.

What are you even trying to say?
The group is elite, not necessarily each individual. Do you lack basic comprehension skills?

Good Morning,

Yes that's my thread title and where I think the Eagles could be headed this year. There won't be many people on the MB agreeing with me, but I feel that you have a list almost ready to explode if things can click. I'll give you my reasons.

KPP - Elite. JK, Darling, McGovern, NN, Lycett, Vardy, McKenzie and Schofield comprise a very capable group. Agreed they all won't play together, but there is depth.

Midfield - This is where I think you're underrated. Shuey, Gaff, Cripps and Yeo put a very good quartet together. I am not sure how Sheed, Redden, Rioli, Venables, Jetta, Hutchings and Karpany are tracking, but there are some players there that I really rate.

The question - Your interstate plan. You start improving that and I think you'll gain unstoppable momentum. I think the key to that is Sam Mitchell coaching alongside Simpson. I reckon he has the ability to assist in breaking down the mental barriers to getting on a plane and transferring your game.

Your finals record is good.
2012 = 5th
2013 = 13th
2014 = 9th
2015 = Grand Finalists
2016 = 6th
2017 = 8th

If Richmond can roll into a premiership off the back of finals in 13-15, I reckon your list is more than capable of going the extra mile or two this year.

I'd like to know your thoughts, I seriously think WC have the capability of doing it this year.
Midfield and small forwards are the weaknesses. Rioli should replace LeCras as LeCras is useless in big games and he and Cripps essentially play the same role too. The midfield will only improve if Venables slots straight in and dominates - other than that Gaff is outside, Yeo is used as a utility and the others aren't good enough, especially the inside mids.

Elite as in the totality of the group. Darling is a more than capable and handy second tall forward, Lycett provides everything you want from a guy his size and that’s a good contest every time and Vardy showed enough last year to suggest good depth.

With a fit NN, you’d probably pick Lycett as your second ruck, and hopefully for the sake of WC he can get back to being his best again.

Midfield and small forwards are the weaknesses. Rioli should replace LeCras as LeCras is useless in big games and he and Cripps essentially play the same role too. The midfield will only improve if Venables slots straight in and dominates - other than that Gaff is outside, Yeo is used as a utility and the others aren't good enough, especially the inside mids.

Jury is still out on Sheed, Partington, Mutimer, Ah chee and Venables as inside mids. Ainsworth and Brayshaw are 19 year olds and obviously yet to debut.

All we need is to break even in the midfield not dominate. We have thw forwards and backs to compete against the better sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the footballing community have greatly exaggerated how big a loss Priddis and Mitchell are and know next to nothing about our kids coming up. Its very simple logic (lost 2 brownlow winners, must drop) Ryan and Rioli are wildcards and could be anything, Venables could have a break out year, Sheed could go up a string, and NN could be an elite or a dud this year. I personally would not be surprised if we finish 5-8 again.

Last edited:

I don't think you or anyone else could debunk it. Can you imagine the trolls that would have attacked a Richmond flag thread a year ago? or a Dogs thread a year before that? In other words, you know about as much as anyone else. And what are you doing on a WC board anyway?

Our forward line will be interesting this year.

It's shaping up to be a good mix of bigs and smalls, might have the luxury of a dangerous resting-ruckman again.

I think the footballing community have greatly exaggerated how big a loss Priddis and Mitchell are and know next to nothing about our kids coming up. Its very simple logic (lost 2 brownlow winners, must drop) Ryan and Rioli are wildcards and could be anything, Venables could have a break out year, Sheed could go up a string, and NN could be an elite or a dud this year. I personally would not be surprised if we finish 5-8 again.
Not really. We are a poor contested footy side, and Priddis was our strongest contested player. The logic isn't that we lost a Brownlow player but rather that our weakness has become even weaker.

Expecting Venables to have a significant impact is a huge ask given he hasn't completed a full season before.

Priddis was pretty cooked but the logic makes sense. We need a new midfield mix to step up and gel as quickly as possible

Not really. We are a poor contested footy side, and Priddis was our strongest contested player. The logic isn't that we lost a Brownlow player but rather that our weakness has become even weaker.

Expecting Venables to have a significant impact is a huge ask given he hasn't completed a full season before.

Priddis was pretty cooked but the logic makes sense. We need a new midfield mix to step up and gel as quickly as possible

Heading towards the end of the year Redden was out doing Priddis in contested possession, in what was a pretty poor year overall for him. I'm expecting him and Sheed to cover him.

With priddis gone I think you will see redden step up as the inside mid, may not dominate but should provide a solid contest.

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back