Eagles Salaries.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst Nic Nat took a contract for less money ( fair enough he hasnt played much ) I didnt see that same attitude with Lycett , Gaff and McGovern . All wanting big bucks . Well I may be wrong but I sensed some of our boys a bit money hungry . Not sure where this talk recently about pay cuts comes from (Hopefully from many not just a few )to get Kelly in but in the long run success will bring its own financial rewards .

Gaff was being offered much more elsewhere but re-signed with us for less.
Pretty sure McGovern was being offered big bucks elsewhere also and re-signed for less.
Kelly also was being offered more by Geelong (and I assume would've got more at Freo) but signed with us for less.
As you stated NicNat took a pay cut for the team.
They got big bucks but accepted less than they're worth.

And I'm pretty sure Yeo, Shuey and Darling are all at well below market rate.

I think it is safe to say the whole reasonwe were able to get TK is because players are taking unders for the team - and TK himself took less than what was in offer elsewhere.

It’s more like would you work for slightly less in a job that is more enjoyable and has greater personal rewards, as well as providing better long term prospects.

Here's an article saying that some players took a 'financial sacrifice' to bring Kelly in. Whether that's just NicNat getting a lesser deal to the giant one he had previously had or other players accepting less, we'll never know. Delisting Masten helped open up a chunk of room also.

It's also weird to know that 16 years has passed since this message and the threads original post.

I don't get the "he took unders" thing.

Yeo, Shuey, Gaff, McGovern, Darling and now Kelly are probably paid like top 6 players. Why would other clubs necessarily offer more? I know media love a beat up about salaries from Norf etc, but how much more can they actually offer without destroying their salary cap - look at what Buddy & Tippett have done to Swans.

What I think the Eagles have achieved is spread of career stages.
Hurn, JK, Schoey & Nic Nat (injuries not age) are now rolling into cheaper contracts.
Every year a solid contributor comes off the books - Priddis, Lecras, Masto etc.
Enough good young players who are paid less than their ability as they need time to earn the credits - Ryan, Barrass etc.

Yeo, Shuey, Gaff, McGovern, Darling and now Kelly are probably paid like top 6 players. Why would other clubs necessarily offer more? I know media love a beat up about salaries from Norf etc, but how much more can they actually offer without destroying their salary cap - look at what Buddy & Tippett have done to Swans.

Because believe it or not some lists are better than others.

If you have a lesser list then instead of paying your players overs you may as well try an snag an elite player from another club with a Godfather offer.
This isn't rocket science.

Cousins would have been very wealthy if he pumped his money in property around 2003 and selling at the height of the boom instead of pumping it into drugs.

Cousins would have been very wealthy if he pumped his money in property around 2003 and selling at the height of the boom instead of pumping it into drugs.

He did.

It's easy. "Unders" simply means agreeing to a contract potentially worth less than another contract that was potentially on offer that was potentially worth more. There is zero transparency.

Pick a player, any player. I'll go with McGovern as an example.

McGovern as a then 26 year old two time All Australian who had played 90 odd games was out of contract and eligible for free agency. As an accomplished key position player in his prime he was worth an above average contract. No one knows the exact figures, but player managers and list managers all talk to each other and it's easy to frame a rough guide. He's a $700k-1m player at market value. You're unlikely to sign/keep him for less, and if you are paying more it's a strategy to buy his services above the market rate. All we know is that he signed for 5 years.

So as a journo you find someone to talk to. Shouldn't be too hard to find out which clubs are interested or not and whether any numbers are being thrown around. A bunch of clubs being interested around the same contract amount isn't newsworthy. The Herald Sun ran with 4 years @ $800k as our initial offer which was enough to see contract talks put on hold until the end of the season (which they weren't, he re-signed in July last year). How accurate is that? Who knows. It was then reported that he was offered 6 years @ $1.2m a year to leave. How accurate is that? Who knows. Easy from then on. 4 x $800k as the minimum, 6 x $1.2m as the max. From there you just pick something in the range you are happy with. You just need to say 'believed to be worth' whenever you get into specifics.

It's easy. "Unders" simply means agreeing to a contract potentially worth less than another contract that was potentially on offer that was potentially worth more. There is zero transparency.

Pick a player, any player. I'll go with McGovern as an example.

McGovern as a then 26 year old two time All Australian who had played 90 odd games was out of contract and eligible for free agency. As an accomplished key position player in his prime he was worth an above average contract. No one knows the exact figures, but player managers and list managers all talk to each other and it's easy to frame a rough guide. He's a $700k-1m player at market value. You're unlikely to sign/keep him for less, and if you are paying more it's a strategy to buy his services above the market rate. All we know is that he signed for 5 years.

So as a journo you find someone to talk to. Shouldn't be too hard to find out which clubs are interested or not and whether any numbers are being thrown around. A bunch of clubs being interested around the same contract amount isn't newsworthy. The Herald Sun ran with 4 years @ $800k as our initial offer which was enough to see contract talks put on hold until the end of the season (which they weren't, he re-signed in July last year). How accurate is that? Who knows. It was then reported that he was offered 6 years @ $1.2m a year to leave. How accurate is that? Who knows. Easy from then on. 4 x $800k as the minimum, 6 x $1.2m as the max. From there you just pick something in the range you are happy with. You just need to say 'believed to be worth' whenever you get into specifics.
Didn't Nisbett say at the time of his signing, we were waiting on third party deals to be approved?

Didn't Nisbett say at the time of his signing, we were waiting on third party deals to be approved?

Possibly, I don't remember personally.

Point being it's all speculation. It's not like the NBA where you can look up any team's roster for the current season and next few seasons and see who they have signed up and for how much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back