Strategy Eagles Strategic Changes in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
In 2015, the Eagles introduced the Team or Zone Defence or as Gerard Healy called it, the Eagles Web.

In 2016, Western Bulldogs had the handball/throw to excess and focus on speed and the contested game.

In 2017, Richmond again focused on speed but prioritised manic forward pressure.

What will Simpson and his merry men be dreaming up this summer? To answer that, we look at who has come off the list, who has come on the list, who we get coming back from injury and where we will be playing.

12 off the list:
  • Those lacking speed - Priddis, Mitchell and to a lesser extent Petrie
  • Those lacking clean skills - Wellingham
  • Those lacking consistency (week to week as well as 4 quarters) - Hill, Lamb
  • Those who's were ready to retire/leave for whatever other reason - Giles, Butler, Tunbridge, Snadden, Gorter and Brophy

10 on the list:
  • A couple of KPP players that we could not resist and a project rusk: will take some years before ready - Brander, Allen and Olango
  • Those with speed - Petruccelle, England and Burrows (plus Watson promoted to be able to play in 2018 as a rookie not cat B)
  • Those with skills for the midfield - maybe Allen but realistically being Ah Chee, Ainsworth and Brayshaw
  • Someone to kick goals and replace Le Cras - Ryan
Big expectations for both NicNat and Lycett. Vardy and Petrie were serviceable but time to start winning the contest at stoppages and centre clearances. How mush faster will our midfield look when NicNat taps it to them as they run past!

A new stadium that will be wider but a bit shorter than Subiaco meaning we need to be able to use it wide and we need to spread so that we can use the central corridor for speed and with confidence. That means we will need to improve in endurance, be able to run out 4 quarters and again prioritising using the ball to effect and not turning the thing over.

The recruitment team have had their say. In the draft, they went for speed and endurance as well as clean skills (priority by foot). I guess Ainsworth was prioritised to Constable who lacked speed and endurance and Worpel who can be ugly in disposal and not fast.

I expect the brains trust will be hard at work to come up with a brand of football that will take the club forward.

If we are planning this newer style, we need to be patient as I believe the high number of changes to the list will mean new people learning to play together as well as learning a new strategy. In addition, we have the most number of players yet to play at AFL meaning they are less experienced and need time to settle.

So some early tell signals that I will be watching out for:
1. Who gets prioritised in the pre-season to be included. I expect Ryan and Venables but the rest will be pretty open.
2. Whether the old crew of Le Cras, Masten and Mackenzie get an automatic gig (that crap of back in your players with credits in the bank)
3. Whether the youngsters that get a game are given a block of games or only a sniff (in 2016 I called Nelson the vibrator as he spent the season going in and out at rapid speed)
4. Our structure - will we be fast enough to adapt to smaller forward line oppositions or will we insist on playing with 3 talls indefence
5. How we go about with centre clearances and stoppages so that we will it more often and then get it to advantage. Examples: - (a) Redden and Sheed act more as first ball get, (b) Redden, Ah Chee and Nelson play more the blocking role for Shuey, Venables and our speedier mids, (c) Jetta and Yeo coming off the back of the square and hitting the contest at speed and expecting to be engaged early by the clearance team.

So with that in mind, I will catch up with Keys and Monocle on Wednesday morning and shoot the breeze as we take in the training session.

One other thing I'd add to your extensive blurb is that all the players recruited are at minimum solid overhead.
I suspect they'll be lowering their eyes a fair bit (Especially in the back 2/3rds) and using a lot of link play on the occasions we're unable to rebound and transition quickly.

One thing for sure we've now got the cattle for a dynamic style of play...I can't wait for season 2018.
Bring it on!!!

We need to kick it long more often.
No - we need to hit targets in an forward direction with fast ball movement. Too many targets have been when we are kicking it backwards.

Blazing away long is not the answer. It my be OK occasionally if you back in our marking options and assuming we are not out-numbered, but we are the masters of intercept marking and if we have a lose man in defence, where do you think their lose man is situated?

No - we need to hit targets in an forward direction with fast ball movement. Too many targets have been when we are kicking it backwards.

Blazing away long is not the answer. It my be OK occasionally if you back in our marking options and assuming we are not out-numbered, but we are the masters of intercept marking and if we have a lose man in defence, where do you think their lose man is situated?
Sorry ATG I thought you were better than this :)

That went straight over your head.

One other thing I'd add to your extensive blurb is that all the players recruited are at minimum solid overhead.
I suspect they'll be lowering their eyes a fair bit (Especially in the back 2/3rds) and using a lot of link play on the occasions we're unable to rebound and transition quickly.

One thing for sure we've now got the cattle for a dynamic style of play...I can't wait for season 2018.
Bring it on!!!
True and are more adept at laying and breaking tackles. It gives me hope for the future.

One thing I would like to see us bring is the manic pressure up forward and try and retain the ball inside 50 at all cost. This part of game really dropped off in the last two seasons.

Given the players we have recruited/drafted, I think improving our forward line and the pressure provided by them will be a major focus. A couple of years ago, we had no real depth at any forward position. Now we have Waterman, Allen, Brander, Venables, Petrucelle, Ryan, Karpany, Rioli, Brayshaw, and maybe Parto and Mutimer (I think these last two are more pure mids than HFFs). Some of these guys have pretty good speed. I'm hoping that we'll finally see JJK get some decent support.

be in for a drop i reckon , not much hope on the horizon

expect some hard times ahead

its unfortunate that josh and naitanui will retire without a premiership meddalian , very sad indeed

while pav didnt get the medal though , hed still be the best forward your club has ever seen

its unfortunate that josh and naitanui will retire without a premiership meddalian , very sad indeed

while pav didnt get the medal though , hed still be the best forward your club has ever seen
Riiiiight

I don't even...

* off ya muppet

On SM-G610F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ban this campaigner

Not sure if there that AFL X thing is being talked about anywhere on our board but I'd love to use it for our depth players and those on the verge of the 22. Guys like Nelson cole partington waterman watson mutimer, Karpany, Ryan and rioli to show their worth. Add to this fringe seniors like lecras masten and schofield to see how much hunger they have. Whatever changes to the game plan are made this preseason should be implemented by these guys and whoever shows anything get the credits in the bank going into the jlt series in which I think our new best 22 should be decided as we will want team cohesion asap going into the season proper.

Troll level 0

Haha unlike you guys we are actually mature enough to recognize a talent when we see one (no matter who the opposition is) Pav was a great that's for sure. However, if he'd been an eagle his career would not have lasted so long as he was basically on one leg for his last few seasons. Just too bad that now you dont have any decent KPPs. I guess winning a few derbys and reaching the granny one time is satisfying enough for you.

Difference between the eagles and dockers...

Simmo: "season wasn't good enough we didnt win the premiership"

Rossy: darts eyes about "good season we won a derby and tanked real good and now we can draft some more mids with our top 10 picks, then some more hacks and we might think about some shitty talls with picks 70+"

Not seeing that we will fall too far. I’d happily miss a year of finals to be long term better

Just hoping Simpson and Co give enough young guys a decent stint

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Finish 10th but 22 games into Sheed, Duggan, Venables, Watson ect with a new game plan wouldn't be the end of the world

2/10

Poor across the board. Similar to Freo 2016/17

I was going to write that it's unfortunate that a Dockers player has not retired with a premiership medal. But it's not unfortunate, it's hilarious!

Go back to your board, troll.

Sorting out the right mix/combination in our midfield is paramount to our success going forward, this combined with a more pressure based game plan with a smaller line up i believe can be really potent.

Where do we start? This will probably be one of the most challenging seasons in our history because we have no idea where we're at.

With the new dimensions of the new stadium, I feel like we are in for 12 months of discovering ourselves.

Stage 1: Train on new ground and convince ourselves current game plan can be adapted to suit.
Stage 2: Have a run of ordinary results and as we approach the mid-season bye's realise game plan needs a complete overhaul.
Stage 3: Play like rubbish as the players play half old-style and half new-style. Still beat up on weak teams.
Stage 4: As season draws to a close, things click and team strings together a bunch of wins.

Then there's the challenge of introducing new blood (16 players yet to debut).

We have enough quality on our list to make finals, so long as we don't drop games with last quarter fade outs in the same manner as 2017.

In 2015, the Eagles introduced the Team or Zone Defence or as Gerard Healy called it, the Eagles Web.

In 2016, Western Bulldogs had the handball/throw to excess and focus on speed and the contested game.

In 2017, Richmond again focused on speed but prioritised manic forward pressure.

What will Simpson and his merry men be dreaming up this summer? To answer that, we look at who has come off the list, who has come on the list, who we get coming back from injury and where we will be playing.

12 off the list:
  • Those lacking speed - Priddis, Mitchell and to a lesser extent Petrie
  • Those lacking clean skills - Wellingham
  • Those lacking consistency (week to week as well as 4 quarters) - Hill, Lamb
  • Those who's were ready to retire/leave for whatever other reason - Giles, Butler, Tunbridge, Snadden, Gorter and Brophy

10 on the list:
  • A couple of KPP players that we could not resist and a project rusk: will take some years before ready - Brander, Allen and Olango
  • Those with speed - Petruccelle, England and Burrows (plus Watson promoted to be able to play in 2018 as a rookie not cat B)
  • Those with skills for the midfield - maybe Allen but realistically being Ah Chee, Ainsworth and Brayshaw
  • Someone to kick goals and replace Le Cras - Ryan
Big expectations for both NicNat and Lycett. Vardy and Petrie were serviceable but time to start winning the contest at stoppages and centre clearances. How mush faster will our midfield look when NicNat taps it to them as they run past!

A new stadium that will be wider but a bit shorter than Subiaco meaning we need to be able to use it wide and we need to spread so that we can use the central corridor for speed and with confidence. That means we will need to improve in endurance, be able to run out 4 quarters and again prioritising using the ball to effect and not turning the thing over.

The recruitment team have had their say. In the draft, they went for speed and endurance as well as clean skills (priority by foot). I guess Ainsworth was prioritised to Constable who lacked speed and endurance and Worpel who can be ugly in disposal and not fast.

I expect the brains trust will be hard at work to come up with a brand of football that will take the club forward.

If we are planning this newer style, we need to be patient as I believe the high number of changes to the list will mean new people learning to play together as well as learning a new strategy. In addition, we have the most number of players yet to play at AFL meaning they are less experienced and need time to settle.

So some early tell signals that I will be watching out for:
1. Who gets prioritised in the pre-season to be included. I expect Ryan and Venables but the rest will be pretty open.
2. Whether the old crew of Le Cras, Masten and Mackenzie get an automatic gig (that crap of back in your players with credits in the bank)
3. Whether the youngsters that get a game are given a block of games or only a sniff (in 2016 I called Nelson the vibrator as he spent the season going in and out at rapid speed)
4. Our structure - will we be fast enough to adapt to smaller forward line oppositions or will we insist on playing with 3 talls indefence
5. How we go about with centre clearances and stoppages so that we will it more often and then get it to advantage. Examples: - (a) Redden and Sheed act more as first ball get, (b) Redden, Ah Chee and Nelson play more the blocking role for Shuey, Venables and our speedier mids, (c) Jetta and Yeo coming off the back of the square and hitting the contest at speed and expecting to be engaged early by the clearance team.

So with that in mind, I will catch up with Keys and Monocle on Wednesday morning and shoot the breeze as we take in the training session.
Great analysis, I've managed to find a picture of our project rusk:
stock-photo-one-crispy-rusk-on-white-545637439.jpg

Hope he comes on as expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back