Strategy Eagles Strategic Changes in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm calling it now, West Coast to be bottom 6 in 2018.
You act like thats a bold call, it really isnt.

Plenty of people have us dropping off in 2018, it's expected to happen.

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Carlton, and North will all be below us.

Saints, Fremantle, Melbourne, Bulldogs and Essendon should be around our mark between 9th-13th

Last edited:
Strategy of 2018.

1. Duggan wins the ball.
2. Duggan snarls at opposition players.
3. Duggan shrugs 5 tackles and runs through 4 players.
4. Duggan hits JK on the chest.
5. Every single lady and man in the crowd becomes aroused.

Yeah.... I might be crushing on Duggan a bit
Duggan gets given the ball, tries to outstep an opponent and gets caught
Duggan receives the ball from another player, tries to step around opposition and gets caught.
Duggan chip scabs another possession and tries to pirouette around another opposition player and yet again gets caught.

This Duggan character thinks he's Shuey when he's clearly more like Stewie (Dew) when he was 160kg.

Crumbers at the drop of the ball please. And this is not restricted to the inside 50. Coming out of defence our dropped marks on the wing and hff always seem to be gathered by the opposition and run back into our defence. Turn those contests into even a ball up and it puts us in a better position, but having some speed coming past the marking contest looking for a handball.. Sploosh
Simpson is going this way
'Too many mids': Eagles change forward mix - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-06/too-many-mids-eagles-change-forward-mix

Strategy of 2018.

1. Duggan wins the ball.
2. Duggan snarls at opposition players.
3. Duggan shrugs 5 tackles and runs through 4 players.
4. Duggan hits JK on the chest.
5. Every single lady and man in the crowd becomes aroused.

Yeah.... I might be crushing on Duggan a bit
avishka5 paying others to pump up his sponsored player, this requires an internal investigation, surely that's against the rules.

You act like thats a bold call, it really isnt.

Plenty of people have is dropping off in 2018, it's expected to happen.

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Carlton, and North will all be below us.

Saints, Fremantle, Melbourne, Bulldogs and Essendon should be around our mark between 9th-13th
It's a pessimistic call, we have a great group of core players with a great deal of experience (Shuey, Kennedy, Hurn, McGovern, NN, LeCras, Redden, Gaff, Sheppard, Darling, Jetta, Cripps, Yeo). Add a few players in that have been added recently (Vardy, Ah Chee, Rioli, Ryan) with a few years in a system already, along with some young talented draftees and we've got a good mix of experience, talent and youth. Similar to Richmonds profile in 2017.

There's no reason we can't push top 4, especially if NN stays fit and firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duggan gets given the ball, tries to outstep an opponent and gets caught
Duggan receives the ball from another player, tries to step around opposition and gets caught.
Duggan chip scabs another possession and tries to pirouette around another opposition player and yet again gets caught.

This Duggan character thinks he's Shuey when he's clearly more like Stewie (Dew) when he was 160kg.

You're gonna be so embarrassed when Duggan becomes the first player to win the brownlow and Ninja Warrior in the same year

I hope we don't actually copy their game. We need to step above that. Hope the pressure is a thing
Don't worry we won't copy Richmond's game. We have more key position forwards for one thing. Simpson never said we are going to copy Richmond anyway. He said, like everyone else, they will take a little bit away from Richmond and Adelaide's game plan.

Then the news writers got busy and embellished the story to say:

upload_2017-12-4_16-57-22.png

Load of shite.

Last edited:
Don't worry we won't copy Richmond's game. We have more key position forwards for one thing. Simpson never said we are going to copy Richmond anyway. He said, like everyone else, they will take a little bit away from Richmond and Adelaide's game plan.

Then the news writers got busy and embellished the story to say:

View attachment 442955

Load of s**t.

Exactly.

Could just mean we got from LeCras, Cripps and Partington to LeCras, Cripps and Ryan.

I think part of our strategy in 2017 involved targeting an attack from the half back line - and I can understand why that would be the case.

Remember 4-5 years ago, we used to cringe at how often we'd win the time of possession, but just continually bomb it high into the forward 50. I think we went too far the other way and almost allowed the opposition to maintain position while we corralled the ball until it reached the opposition 50 so that we could generate a slingshot style attack into an open forward 50. One of our strengths was clearly our defensive intercept marking. The weakness of the web was when the opposition gained quick entry to their forward 50. So I suspect our gameplan was based around slowing the opposition movement through the midfield and allowing nothing over the back. Then picking off the final long kick into a congested defensive 50. Our defence held up great at doing this. It genuinely played to their strength.

The problem is that you can't go too far the other way - and I think we did just that. I think our focus on corralling and avoiding overcommitting to the ballcarrier made us too passive in our approach and we got killed in the contested possessions. You can't just flick a switch between an aggressive "see ball - get ball" approach and a controlled "don't give up a big play" mentality. The approaches are essentially mutually exclusive and there is a trade-off to each. I think we gave up too much easy possession through the midfield so that we would avoid anything clean over the back.

I'd be really interested in being able to actually was game tape showing the whole oval and see how many numbers we had behind the ball rather than getting numbers attacking the contest and compare that to league averages. With a slower midfield and elite tall defenders, that game plan does make sense.

With a bit more speed in the midfield, perhaps we can take a few more risks and tighten up the zone around the ball and just outside our attacking 50. With a bit more X-factor amongst the small forwards, we may be more inclined to tighten the zone just outside our attacking 50 and force turnovers for repeat 50 entries even if they're entries into a congested forward line. With Naitanui returning, I hope we add just a little natural contested ability to our game to just rip the ball away from the opposition.

So I don't have any particular insights into how we may adjust our game plan. But I'm hopeful that the gameplan last year was not too far off the market and with a few tweaks (to personnel and to the gameplan) we're right in the mix.
I agree that it's not that far away from being a very strong gameplan. Thinking back to the geelong game earlier this year and that is probably the benchmark of how we want to play it and how it looks with quicker players.

With everyone having the pace and stamina (not having to cover for slower players) to keep up with their own man it stopped the over the back stuff and allowed us to push right up the ground.

Gov played ruck that day and was pretty much parked between both 50s for the entire game, roaming around. Obviously we don't want him playing ruck long term but that's the part of the ground where we essentially want him. Moving the web up 50m and picking off the ball at the centre circle rather than 30m out from the opposition goal. Little bit of a mix between our 2012 forward press and the web.

Will look a lot better with quicker players and if we fix up the fumbling. Also will be able to go back to tackling without fear of overcommiting and being caught out the back.

Optimistic about 2018. A lot of other clubs will improve also but we can be glad we aren't Freo or North.

Does anyone actually know if Venables is going to be a fulltime mid? or more of a toby greene type

Remove this Banner Ad

Back