Strategy Eagles Strategic Changes in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe don't play so many talls and wonder why you're the worst 4th quarter side in the comp?

Maybe don't play so many talls and wonder why you're the worst 4th quarter side in the comp?
Problem wasn't necessarily having too many talls, although it didn't help. Biggest issue imo was having two of the slowest midfielders in the league playing in same the team. It forced the rest of the midfielders to have to cover for them defensively which meant that we ran out of steam in the last quarter. Would expect that our 4th quarter fadeouts won't happen as often in 2018, whether we're still ahead at 3/4 time as often as last season remains to be seen.

Why are we having a influx of opinions from the south side on our board of late?

Did we poke them over on their board or something?

Last edited:
I love the optimism about Venables, but aren't we all getting way ahead of ourselves? Medical teams from all clubs have typically had a lot of trouble getting players right and on the park from foot injuries. I love all the hype, but i wont hold my breath until i see this kid actually out on the field and in our best 22.
Well if he's a Shuey clone, the injury issues will continue into next season but will be a gun in 2019 and just miss out on the rising star. On a more serious note, the injury he had was due to a coach standing on his foot (or was that rumor?) so would prefer that to soft tissue injuries.

For me the midfield is mainly a function of development and tactics at this point, which is not our strong suit.

Our midfield currently is two phased with the removal of Priddis and Mitchell, with no midfielders 29 or older.
Established (24-28)
Masten 28
Jetta 28
Shuey 27
Redden 27
Hutchings 26
Gaff 25
Yeo 24
Ah Chee 24

Developing (18-22)
Sheed 22
Nelson 21
Duggan 21
Partington 20
Mutimer 20
Cole 20
Venables 19
Ainsworth 18
Petruccelle 18
Brayshaw 18

There is nowhere near enough quality in that established group. I don't think Masten or Hutchings are ideally in our best 22, and Redden and Jetta are average players. Shuey and Gaff are quality and Yeo and Ah Chee still potential as midfielders. With that in mind we need to plow games into players in that developing group. Sheed, Duggan, Partington, Venables and Cole would be playing every week in my team, plus Oscar Allen up forward drifting through.

Duggan and Yeo are cop outs playing off half back, as good as they are. You don't win flags with great HBFs and no midfield. Both have good skills, athleticism and game breaking ability. If we want to drift in and around the 8, keep them there. Otherwise, find out a way to get them working in the midfield, or throw the 18 years old in there. Having Masten, Hutchings and co through the middle, Yeo and Duggan at HB and the youth in the WAFL is no way to move forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One bold strategy I would like for next season is not to persist with senior players playing with injuries that are effecting their output at the expense of giving them a rest and getting some games into healthy younger players.

Redden 2016 and Cripps and Lecca this year was frustrating.

I think ALL players coming back from injury should play WAFL to get some run.

Redden 2016 and Cripps and Lecca this year was frustrating.

I think ALL players coming back from injury should play WAFL to get some run.

Yeah that and also reading the NN article on afl site that Gaff played most of the year with a ankle or foot (?) injury as well. Combining that with the other 2 you mention and on the back of not debuting or giving younger players more games and its just a bizarre combo.

I was going to write that it's unfortunate that a Dockers player has not retired with a premiership medal. But it's not unfortunate, it's hilarious!

Go back to your board, troll.

In fairness a few Dockers players have retired with a premiership medal. Winston Abraham and Peter Bell.
Then there were a few from the last 2 WAFL premierships.

One other thing I'd add to your extensive blurb is that all the players recruited are at minimum solid overhead.
I suspect they'll be lowering their eyes a fair bit (Especially in the back 2/3rds) and using a lot of link play on the occasions we're unable to rebound and transition quickly.

One thing for sure we've now got the cattle for a dynamic style of play...I can't wait for season 2018.
Bring it on!!!
Well done ArdentEagle. Quite the visionary. Great overhead and lowering eyes to hit up a target by foot it was. And what a glorious strategy it was!

Well done ArdentEagle. Quite the visionary. Great overhead and lowering eyes to hit up a target by foot it was. And what a glorious strategy it was!
giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back