Eagles Thrashed Again

Remove this Banner Ad

EaglesFlyingHigh.com

Senior List
Apr 19, 2001
Perth
The West Coast Eagles had a golden opportunity to break their losing streak and regain some respect against Collingwood
tonight. In the end, though, they just showed that they really aren't up to it.

Collingwood 26.17 173
West Coast 14.8 92

With as close to a full list to pick from as they're likely to see this year, the
Eagles had to show the desire to win. That they failed so badly to match it with
opposition as mediocre as Collingwood just demonstrates further how low they
have sunk.

The game started promisingly, with a see-sawing first quarter. The Magpies got
away to a couple of goals lead early on, before Phil Matera and Glen Jakovich
goaled to bring it back. A sequence of four uncontested kicks and marks ended
with a goal to Travis Gaspar from the pocket, and it appeared that the Eagles
were really going to have a go. The flow was interrupted when Peter Matera left
the ground with a torn hamstring, but the Eagles should have been confident as
they led by four points at quarter time.

During the break, Eagles coach Ken Judge could be seen stressing to his
players "Don't drop off". Either the players missed the word "don't", or Mick
Malthouse thought of something even more inspiring to tell his Magpies, as the
next three quarters were as one-sided as we've got used to seeing in Eagles
games this year.

Collingwood kicked the first six goals of the second quarter to break the game
wide open, and from there it was just a matter of how much they would win by.
More injuries killed any hopes of an Eagles comeback, as Michael Braun and
Dean Kemp joined Matera on the bench by half time, with a damaged knee and
concussion respectively.

But the injuries were not the difference in this match. The skill levels of the
teams does not account for the final margin either. The Collingwood players
simply wanted to win more than the Eagles.

By the end of the match, Collingwood had recorded both their highest score
and biggest winning margin against West Coast. They had also ended a run of
ten losses to the Eagles, stretching back to 1994.

Once again, Ben Cousins led from the front with a best on ground 34
possessions. But the Eagles problem is that he just doesn't get enough
support. Only ten of the West Coast players recorded ten or more touches. In
contrast, twenty of the Collingwood twenty-two reached double figures.

The Eagles take on an out of form Melbourne at Subiaco next weekend, in yet
another game they could and should win. But after this performance, on top of
so many others this year, it is difficult to have any confidence that they can
play enough good football in one day.

http://westcoast.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1523&p=2&stid=8136565

I really don't know.

They need McIntosh back. The backline just isn't solid enough. with McIntosh back as the central pillar the inconsistency of players likes Wirrpunda and Carroll won't be as glaring.

But up the front - who knows? Cummings just isn't showing any signs of firing, and Wilson is inconsistent. At the moment I can't see any reason to keep either of them on the list next year.

Overall there are too few trying to do too much. Cousins is getting 30+ possessions every week, but nobody else is getting a regular 20.

The only way we'll win a game this year is if we have a good game (such as against Buldogs and Brisbane) against a weak team (and at the moment the only team weak enough to be vulnerable to us is Freo).

You idiots. Collingwood isn't mediocre. You were thrashed (yet again) by a team that thoroughly outclassed you in ALL areas of the ground. West Coast are pathetic, you know, tonight was the first time I have ever felt sorry for a West Coast team.

I know what its like, however that does not deny the fact that it is a very sad state of affairs over there.

I guess that makes Carlton mediocre does it? After all, we didn't lose to them.

------------------------------
Play on says the umpire
------------------------------

Hey Joel and other Collingwood scum

Go back to your own board and tell them how great you think Collingwood are............the Eagles are at rock bottom now and beating us by 81 pts isnt exactly S P E C I A L as bruce would say.......frankly I couldnt give a **** about the teams that beat us, being a diehard EAGLES fan want our forum to be for Eagles supporters to talk about what is important to us. We have been beaten by much better teams than the pies this year so, (and this is the 10+ beers and a couple of bourbons speaking) FU*K OFF and gloat to someone that gives a fats rodents clacker.

Eagles fans - UNITE! The first quarter was great tonight - I had a bit of hope for awhile there.....unfortunately we could not keep up - and yes collingwood are mediocre in the grand scheme of things - so that shows how low we have got to be beaten by such %^&) heads.

I recall one particular game fondly(??) in 1989 where I sat in the pouring rain to see Nth Melb flog the Eagles at the WACA - I guess my point is things WILL get better. If we suck up the bad times, absorb the pain, and stick with the team the good times (in about a year or 3) will be all the better.

Some good points tonight were - Ben Cousins is getting better every week, didnt give up all night a great effort - he has taken the next step to be a vey good player. Some of the young guys put in - Kerr, Gaspar, Glass etc all tried - they were just outclassed on the night. Gardy was great in first half, Cox tried in 2nd half. Jako was great at CHF - I cant work out why Judge took him off in 2nd quarter he didnt deserve to be off the ground. Taylor plays with passion - he can pay the penalty but he puts in 100% and I admire that in any player.

Some downers include Kempy, Roo and Brauny injuries. I think Kempy is gone for good now - unfortunately if he gets concussion playing with a helmet he is in real trouble - it is wrong to risk him in that condition. Roo is also too injury prone and Brauny has had rotten luck (I think a knock from Gardy actually hurt his knee!)
Milly is probably in his last year - too many years of hard yakka have taken their toll. A low finish on the table will help us in the long term - look at Josh Fraser at 19 - first draft pick and an extremely talented player - we need some picks in the first 5-6 to get the top young guys in next draft.

I was disappointed in Ken Judges message at quarter time. The boys had put in their best 1/4 in ages and he was saying "dont drop off!" not "great effort guys - keep up the great work". Maybe a subtle difference but one is a negative reinforcement and the other is a positive.

On the positive it was good to have Dermott Brereton on the commentary of the game - he actually mentioned that Kempy has been under rated by the Vics his whole career and gave Cousins some votes even though we were flogged.

Sorry for the long, long post but I have had 3 too many and am in dribble mode....Final positive - it is good to know there is a supporter group out there that care about the team - I dont post a lot but I often check these boards to see the comments of all you Eagles supporters out there. We all need to stick by the mighty Eagles at the moment and look forward to the future - however distant that looks to be.....

We'rrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

THE EAGLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (cant wait to hear that song again...)

Phucking injuries

Why the hell can't we just have one sodding game without a host of players limping off the damn field? :mad: :mad:

Bloody hell, the midfield was the one place we could have taken the game up to them and before half time we end up with 2.5 (well, Roo isn't only a midfielder) injuries in it.

I know the draft is meant to level things out between teams over the years, but I never heard anything about the footballing gods getting involved in that caper too!!!

First of all, Collingwood is not a mediocre outfit this year, they will make the finals easily. Secondly I agree with most things said so far, good first qrt then crap from then on not helped by 3 injured on the bench. I really do not know what to say and I dont have time to say it anyway. I expected to lose but not by 80 points. After seeing Fraser (#1) and Tarrant (#7) tonight, two top ten draft picks are looking very nice :(

Originally posted by Visro
First of all, Collingwood is not a mediocre outfit this year, they will make the finals easily. Secondly I agree with most things said so far, good first qrt then crap from then on not helped by 3 injured on the bench. I really do not know what to say and I dont have time to say it anyway. I expected to lose but not by 80 points. After seeing Fraser (#1) and Tarrant (#7) tonight, two top ten draft picks are looking very nice :(

Finally - Visro, you have got to be the smartest West Coast supporter (football wise) posting on Bigfooty.

Look, I don't want to bag you because I know how it feels BUT that does not mean we can't brag if Collingwood win - afterall, you would have done it.

Secondly, Collingwood is NOT mediocre, we have beat both Carlton and Port (who are both currently above us), and we lost close games to Essendon and Hawthorn, we beat the Bulldogs by 72 points, we beat Melbourne by 77 points, and we have beaten you by 81 points. If that is mediocre form then Carlton and Port must be absolutely ****ful. Get some perspective on things and then tell me what mediocricy is.

All the best for the future - you are going to need it.

Mick's doing all the right moves at Collingwood - I predicted them to sneak into the 8 this year and so far they have proved me right.

Great post Pauljam, nice to see a little passion.

Whoever said Collingwood was mediocre is kidding themselves. The Pies were awesome and the only reason they wont win a flag in the next five years is because Ess will win them all. I envy Collingwood...a team that good and that young...Damn!

Anyways a week is a long time in football so look for a win against Melbourne at subi this weekend :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel,

OK, you have convinced me...Collingwood arent THAT mediocre! They were actually very good on Friday night (which p*ssed me off even more!)

Also I am sorry I went off at you personally - when I reread my post this evening it was too rough. I hope you can accept my apology. You actually seem to be a decent bloke (although obviously loopy if you support Collingwood!)

The Eagles have got a long way to go up and I believe that a few early draft picks and some astute recruiting will help us get back in the finals in the next 2-3 years.

It is encouraging to see a team like Collingwood that were down the bottom half not that long ago come good - I admit I would love to see anyone beat Essendon this year (although its unlikely). You guys have got a great coach now, one of the top 2 or 3 going round - I am not sure Judgey is better than average but we'll see by the end of the year I guess.

So best of luck to the pies as well - you guys look good for a spot in the eight this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back