Rumour Eagles to keep Mitchell

frothin

Debutant
Jul 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast want to keep Mitchell for the remainder of his contract (2 more years) they have offered him him a role based out of Melbourne in the past couple of days so he can still be home with his family.

Attachments

• heh.jpg
    heh.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 90
Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Contract is a contract at the end of the day. I'd be pretty disappointed if I were the Eagles.

This isn't a troll btw

He's been good for them and has two years left. He's played/coached for almost two years now in WA. There's no compensation for losing coaches is there? They're more open-market than players

kriles76

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2003
37° 44′ 00″ S, 144° 51′ 59″ E
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Keilor Bowls Club
Contract is a contract at the end of the day. I'd be pretty disappointed if I were the Eagles.

This isn't a troll btw

He's been good for them and has two years left. He's played/coached for almost two years now in WA. There's no compensation for losing coaches is there? They're more open-market than players
I agree with you. You don't bail on a contract.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
West Coast want to keep Mitchell for the remainder of his contract (2 more years) they have offered him him a role based out of Melbourne in the past couple of days so he can still be home with his family.

How do they expect him to Assistant Coach from Melbourne...my idea of an Assistant coach would be to be hands on with the players.

I can understand it if he's in a football management type role but he is an Assistant Coach

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Tell him he's got 2 options:

1. Pay out rest of his contract so he's out of pocket probably a million or more
2. Stay and complete his contract

None of this live in Melbourne crap which will affect the teams performance

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Id be all for the Eagles holding him to his contract. He signed it in full knowledge of what was required. If a job at Hawthorn is not on the table then he won’t really mind.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
He will take a job anywhere in Melbourne...he is coming back to Melbourne
Well wherever/whatever that job, if it is with another AFL club then I would not have a problem with the Eagles holding him to his contract. They basically extended his career and eased him into coaching - sucks for him to just leave and the Eagles time, effort and money benefits some other club.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well wherever/whatever that job, if it is with another AFL club then I would not have a problem with the Eagles holding him to his contract. They basically extended his career and eased him into coaching - sucks for him to just leave and the Eagles time, effort and money benefits some other club.

What time effort have they really put in though?? He hasn't learnt anything being at the Eagles in terms of coaching?

I don't disagree that bailing on a contract is a s**t thing and acknowledge that he would not,have played last year if they knew he was going back home straight away

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
What time effort have they really put in though?? He hasn't learnt anything being at the Eagles in terms of coaching?

I don't disagree that bailing on a contract is a s**t thing and acknowledge that he would not,have played last year if they knew he was going back home straight away
They could’ve had someone else learning the Eagles systems the past two years.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought the idea of bringing him in was to add new things to the Eagles system that hadn't quite got the job done.

The role of assistant coaches is surely to bring in different approaches
That may be the case but regardless the Eagles have invested two years and whatever dollars when they were expecting four.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Tell him he's got 2 options:

1. Pay out rest of his contract so he's out of pocket probably a million or more
2. Stay and complete his contract

None of this live in Melbourne crap which will affect the teams performance
LOL! Good luck with that. Would get laughed out of court.
They haven't paid him those dollars yet for the rest of his contract, so nothing to pay back.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
LOL! Good luck with that. Would get laughed out of court.
They haven't paid him those dollars yet for the rest of his contract, so nothing to pay back.
Actually most workplace contracts will have some sort of compensation for quitting early. He wouldn't be made to repay it all but he could very well be made to give the eagles some form of compensation

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Actually most workplace contracts will have some sort of compensation for quitting early. He wouldn't be made to repay it all but he could very well be made to give the eagles some form of compensation
Disagree. Most employment contracts (and I've seen my fair share) have a stipulated notice period, but rarely do they have clauses where one party must pay the other an amount of money, particularly after 2 years into the employment contract.
Some contracts have a bond for things like training costs, which needs to be paid pack to the employer if the contractor leaves before a certain time, but I've never heard of a 2 year bond, it's usually shorter than that.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Disagree. Most employment contracts (and I've seen my fair share) have a stipulated notice period, but rarely do they have clauses where one party must pay the other an amount of money, particularly after 2 years into the employment contract.
Some contracts have a bond for things like training costs, which needs to be paid pack to the employer if the contractor leaves before a certain time, but I've never heard of a 2 year bond, it's usually shorter than that.
You're talking about on going contracts though. Contracts where someone signs up for 4+ years are a bit different. And the eagles could probably reasonably argue that Mitchell has been in training for these 2 years.

Back