Game Day Eagles v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Percentage is HUGE. I have very bad memories of 2007. We have to be ruthless at this time of year.

I still get Vietnam flashbacks about Scott Lucas but that was 12 years ago and only one of the players then are playing now.

I wouldn't worry about it (and I know Simmo and the rest aren't worried about it) until the last round. Just do what you can to win and manage the squad in the run in to what really matters - winning finals.

EagleJack42

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Roger Federer
And what happens if we lose to Richmond at the MCG?

Then percentage could very well be the difference between 2nd and 4th.
As Ep has already pointed out. Geelongs % is unreachable and Brisbane have GC so we we're never going to catch either anyway. We earn top or 2nd by winning games and right now we're doing that.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Stoked with the win.

Come on here and read the most petulant sooking ever.

Remember when we were "flat track bullies"? We put teams to the sword back then and how did that work out for us? No harm in taking the foot off when the games over. Win our last 3 and top 2 is ours regardless
How is it sooking to point out that we didn't put them away and in fact got outscored in the last quarter?

Where do we finish if we drop one on the road to Richmond?

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
As Ep has already pointed out. Geelongs % is unreachable and Brisbane have GC so we we're never going to catch either anyway. We earn top or 2nd by winning games and right now we're doing that.
We'd be every chance of staying ahead of Brisbane on percentage if we actually put teams away.

Yes Brisbane play GC. But who are their other two games against?

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I still get Vietnam flashbacks about Scott Lucas but that was 12 years ago and only one of the players then are playing now.

I wouldn't worry about it (and I know Simmo and the rest aren't worried about it) until the last round. Just do what you can to win and manage the squad in the run in to what really matters - winning finals.
Ah ha ha Vietnam flashbacks

EagleJack42

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Regardless of the ladder, I'd back our boys in to take out a young Brisbane side in finals pressure at the Gabba in week 1 if we need to anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We've always known we have to rely on Brisbane to drop a game (and us to win everything from here). Brisbane winning or losing to Geelong is perfect both ways because we'll go second (so long as we win). Brisbane probably won't be Richmond either so we could even go to first.

Seems pretty crazy to have to rely on it, but that's the way the year has gone for pretty much everyone

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We've always known we have to rely on Brisbane to drop a game (and us to win everything from here). Brisbane winning or losing to Geelong is perfect both ways because we'll go second (so long as we win). Brisbane probably won't be Richmond either so we could even go to first.

Seems pretty crazy to have to rely on it, but that's the way the year has gone for pretty much everyone
It could easily come down to percentage between WC, Brisbane and Richmond.

EagleJack42

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Roger Federer
I'm quite sure come season's that 2nd and 3rd will be decided by win/loss not % based on the big games left. It may decide 1st and 2nd though. If Brisbane lose even 1 game and we win out then we're good. If Brisbane lose 2 and we loss to Richmond then we're good. If Geelong fall off a cliff then we're good. If anything we should be lamenting the Collingwood game. We'd be in the driver's seat right now if that hadn't occurred.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
It could easily come down to percentage between WC, Brisbane and Richmond.
If we have to rely on % we won't get there, our run home and ability to put big scores on this year just isn't there like last year (it feels like). We'll win games no problem, but thrashing teams isn't really a thing this year (fremantle aside lol)

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
If we have to rely on % we won't get there
That was not a given and still isn't a given but easing to four-goal wins over Carlton will make it harder. Hence the irritation by people who have spent too much time on the ladder predictor, like me.

Anyway, this one is done and dusted.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Right, so maybe we are a chance of matching their percentage after all? Particularly if we run out games.
Not the way Brisbane are playing today. They’ll already have a nice gap before playing Gold Coast next week. Don’t think the extra 2-3 goals today are going to realistically matter. Just need to focus on our games and keep winning, that gets us top 2. If we win every game from here on by 1 point I’ll take it.

If we’re going to pick up things where we’ve gone wrong it should be where we’ve dropped games we shouldn’t have, rather than being annoyed at %. Looking at the Collingwood game specifically plus maybe the other two we dropped at home to Port and Brisbane (although we had a hangover so those ones are probably not as relevant).

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
WTF!!!!!!!

1992 Premiership year for the Eagles.......

Beat the Blues by 24 points, exactly 4 goals in Melbourne

And even crazier I just remembered, they kicked 15 goals and 11 goals each, like today!

WTF!

edited 2.6 in the 1st qtr 1992, today they kicked 2.5!!!!!!

Last edited:

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Not the way Brisbane are playing today.
All the more reason to go on with it when we lead Carlton by 40 halfway through the last term.

The difference between winning by 60 and winning by 24 may be the difference between 2nd and 3rd or even 2nd and 4th.

Anyway, moving on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back