Game Day Eagles v Dogs @ Optus Stadium 3:20 AEST - Rd 15 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot see why the dogs cannot spend there time in regional Victoria on the surf coast in freedom have a break. There has been no cases since last October then fly to WA. Is not they are not regularly tested. McGowan is a bigger control freak than Dan so it will not happen.

Outs Mitch Hannan never again, Crozier, Naughton inj, Roarke Smith.

Ins Martin, Wood, Garcia, Wallis

I'd be tempted to just forfeit this game to be honest. Our players need their days off. We held off on having our break so that we wouldn't waste it being in lockdown. Now that Melbourne is out of lockdown they want to fly us to Perth and lock us in a hotel all week. fu** that. Forfeit this one, give the players the time off they have earned and we can go hard to finish off the season, starting with another percentage boost against North.
Would we not get in trouble with the aflpa or Afl themselves for not giving the players their bye time off?

Does anyone know the rationale for the team having to fly to Perth over the next couple of days rather than, say, the day before the game? I must have missed something, seems odd.
WA currently have border restrictions that anyone travelling from VIC has to quarantine for 2 weeks. They have ‘compromised’ with the AFL that we only need to quarantine for 1 week.

The game should be moved.

I'd be tempted to just forfeit this game to be honest. Our players need their days off. We held off on having our break so that we wouldn't waste it being in lockdown. Now that Melbourne is out of lockdown they want to fly us to Perth and lock us in a hotel all week. fu** that. Forfeit this one, give the players the time off they have earned and we can go hard to finish off the season, starting with another percentage boost against North.

I'm with you Scrag. This game is basically unwinnable if all of Naughton, Treloar and Dunks aren't available.

I'd be resting a stack of our most valuable players (both in terms of quality and structure) and giving one final chance to some of our fringe players to see what they are made of.

Won't ever happen but this is what I'd do.

Outs
Naughton (inj/rest), Libba (rest), Keath (rest), English (rest), Bont (rest), Macrae (rest), Williams (rest), Daniel (rest)

Ins
Martin, Lipinksi, Garcia, Schache, Sweet, Wood, Young, Wallis

This isn't a piss take post. I'd genuinely do it. Use it as a last chance saloon type game for all of Rourke Smith, Hannan, Schache, Lipinski, Wallis, Young, etc. Hunger games style.

Our season would go up in smoke if one of those outs I've listed suffered a long term injury in what is basically unwinnable game. It would be far more devastating than a drubbing.

Ed Richards looked good in the VFL. Would consider him in for Crozier.

Tim English might need to find some form, hasn't been great since coming back but deserves the chance to find form and there isn't a lot in the 2's to fill his role.

Mitch Wallis was invisible after coming on at halftime. Papers stamped.

Out: Crozier, Hannan
In: Ed Richards, Stefan Martin
Have you been watching the games? English was great in the ruck last night

I'm with you Scrag. This game is basically unwinnable if all of Naughton, Treloar and Dunks aren't available.

I'd be resting a stack of our most valuable players (both in terms of quality and structure) and giving one final chance to some of our fringe players to see what they are made of.

Won't ever happen but this is what I'd do.

Outs
Naughton (inj/rest), Libba (rest), Keath (rest), English (rest), Bont (rest), Macrae (rest), Williams (rest), Daniel (rest)

Ins
Martin, Lipinksi, Garcia, Schache, Sweet, Wood, Young, Wallis

This isn't a piss take post. I'd genuinely do it. Use it as a last chance saloon type game for all of Rourke Smith, Hannan, Schache, Lipinski, Wallis, Young, etc. Hunger games style.

Our season would go up in smoke if one of those outs I've listed suffered a long term injury in what is basically unwinnable game. It would be far more devastating than a drubbing.

I'm actually advocating for something more dramatic. I'd just tell the AFL that we refuse to play this game in Perth if we have to be imprisoned for a week to do it. Their options then become: let us forfeit the match - west coast get the 4 points and we move on, reshuffle the fixture so we play west coast there later in the year, or we play the game somewhere other than Perth. I don't like the idea of just resting our best players. All of our players need their midseason holiday, not just the stars.

Has any other team this season been expected to quarantine for a week prior to a game? Seems completely unreasonable and would warrant the game being moved elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thought we really missed Woods leadership in the backline last night.

An experienced head would have been useful at the end. Other than duryea, our backline IS inexperienced.

Bit disappointing to see a few of the boys go to Cordy after the game and let him know where he should have kicked it.

Pick him up, and talk about it when the dust has settled.

Also, I don't agree re comments gardner not going hard enough at the final ball. Looks like he recognised he was out numbered and tried to corral or slow down the geelong player. He was in a 3 on 1, his teammates should have been better set up. Where were they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It also shows how overrated hitout stats are. English had 13 hit outs to advantage last night which I’d say is by far a record for him. I thought he had minimal impact in that regard throughout the game.
I thought our clearance rate was significantly better when he was in the ruck.

Wood may come in but then the backline starts to look pretty slow:

Wood
Gardner
Keith
Cordy

Team as a whole gets slower toi if Martin in.

I'd throw JJ back for a week for a bit of run at Optus

Kind of tempted to take a reserves team over there as some have suggested. Schache, Wallis, West, Garcia, Young for Keith, Bedendo.

Rest Libba, Macrae. Then go hard from then on.

So because we need 7 days in Perth under strict quarantine that means Bev basically has to pick the squad today to fly out tomorrow.

Not ideal at all. Seems Astro certainly won't play then if it means a plane trip tomorrow.

Although Sam edmund saying we expect him to be on the plane tomorrow. Hopefully it was more precautionary.

Out the first 22
In the seconds.
Give the players a rest. * WA and the AFL.

Seriously.

Martin or Sweet need to come in. I think English was fine last night but two rucks just makes us better structurally.

I’ve been a Hannan believer but he needs to go back to Footscray and bang the door down. Not really sure what he’s adding at the moment.

Going to assume Naughton misses, looked very sore. Schache was brilliant yesterday but I still don’t trust him at senior level. Play Wallis as the third tall with English and Bruce.

I’d also bring in Garcia for some more grunt next to Libba. Daniel has been playing a lot of mid time, move him predominantly back again for Crozier.

Think we’ll keep the 3 tall defenders in for the Eagles which could mean Wood misses out again.

JJ holds on for now but thin ice.

IN: Martin/Sweet, Wallis, Garcia
OUT: Naughton, Hannan, Crozier

We are so much a better team when English plays as a forward/ruck not sole ruck. Therefore, one of Martin or Sweet have to come in particularly if Naughton is out injured.

English played well individually last night we just lost our advantage with him as the solo ruck and also lost structure each time he had a break.

Wood to come in for leadership down back and an option for Liam Ryan.

Schache, don't think he we will ever make it but his form dictates he should be in.

Richards and Garcia also in the mix.

Outs would be Hannan to play some full VFL games and earn his spot back with form.

Crozier similar.

Outside of that whoever ensures we have have well balanced team for West Coast

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No babies need to leave the bath water- we should have won and tough game against Geelong who are fit, firing and home. At marvel or mcg we win. Naughton stays fit during the game and we win. Don’t panic.

We have a few out of from but mostly we have quality talent coming back that are going to push out players that probably don’t deserve to be dropped.

To come back in soon.

- Martin or Sweet
- Red - still has disposal issues but just need to watch a few minutes to see why he is regularly picked - powerful and attacks.

Kids pushing:

- García was outstanding - just too good to be out and Daniel in the midfield is good for you his development but he is AA in the quarterback role and needs to go back. Wallis and BSmith under most pressure.
- Khamis is going to be hard to keep out - he works his way into games and just has great positioning. Crozier will be under the most pressure.

We are seeing some players stepping up in close games and others seem to struggle. B.Smith, Hannan, West, Young. Others seem to lift Libba, Duryea even Cordy and surprisingly Scott.

Hannan is probably the clearest concern - Panics and either doesn’t attack the contest or makes a bad attempted disposal.

Changes - I don’t expect all these will happen - we weren’t bad.

Schache deserves to play irrespective of Naughton’s injury. Watching him closely he is absolutely getting better consistently. He is finding his way - he is not the bull we seem to want him to be but an excellent tall flanker who is very hard to match up on. Just let him run he will add something new. Young is also improving slowly - still have hope but not ready yet - will only come in for injury at this stage - is not knocking the door down yet.

Out: Hannan
In: Schache

Bailey Smith appears to be example of this - blind look away handpasses going nowhere when he used to attacks and fend but he has really dropped off after that flog Brereton challenged him on his mental health. He of all people should know the damage that could cause and he had that exact impact. Bailey has lost his spunk and Brereton should be ashamed of himself. Not sure of what would help him - VFL is where he should be on form but I think a full support and a few weeks off might be what he needs? He is a generational talent and we need to protect him.

Lipinski has done all that could be asked and is in the top few in the club for skills under pressure-this will stand him in good stead on the finals. He has completely dominated VFL. I expect he is only there to work on his tackling and defensive pressure. Couldn’t really see the need for this in yesterday’s VFL because they were chasing him. He needs to come back in.

Out: Smith (managed)
In: Lipinski

Crozier is one of my first picked when in form but he is not at the moment.

Wood was great and looks fit.

Out: Crozier
In: Wood

If Naughton is out then Martin or Sweet comes in. I though English was good but is also the best replacement for Naughton and Martin or if injures Sweet are needed against West Coast. Will need to come in anyway.

Out: Naughton if injured or R. smith (has been very solid but may have to miss out. Note - expect Schache will play the third forward role.

Does anyone know how bad Mcleans injury is? I would suggest he would be in doubt.
If you look at the photo he just put up on Instagram you’ll see his right quad is quite red. From what I saw during the year, I think he got someone’s boots across that part of his body which can be extremely painful.

So because we need 7 days in Perth under strict quarantine that means Bev basically has to pick the squad today to fly out tomorrow.

Not ideal at all. Seems Astro certainly won't play then if it means a plane trip tomorrow.

Although Sam edmund saying we expect him to be on the plane tomorrow. Hopefully it was more precautionary.
Yeah with the quarantine it means we're going to have to fly about 28 blokes over which obviously means less game time for the blokes who can't get back for the VFL.

23 that played yesterday plus Martin, Wood, Garcia, Richards and Lipinski looks possible imo. There's a chance we drop Hannan straight away and bring Schache as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back