Eagles Vs. Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Visro

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2000
I know some people may think this a little bit early but my reasoning was, after seeing how some of the players played yesterday, would you still put them in the team come Brisbane? Anyway, the team I would play:

FB: Glass McIntosh Carroll
HB: Collica Jakovich Pe Matera
C: Morrison Kerr Braun
HF: Embley Gaspar Williams
FF: Ph Matera Cummings Merenda
R: Gardiner Cousins Kemp
B: Haynes Taylor Wirrpunda Hunter

There is no way that the side above should be thrashed usually. I dropped Harding, Wilson, Fletcher and Jones. There were others that I thought should be dropped as well but just couldn't take them off due to how they "could" play. This team will probably change during the week mind you as I find out that some of those players are injured or someone played a blinder in the WAFL.

Vis

My .02...

FB: Collica McIntosh Carroll
HB: Wirrpunda Glass Pe Matera
C: Taylor Kerr Morrison
HF: Embley Gaspar Williams
FF: Ph Matera Cummings Merenda
R: Gardiner Cousins Kemp

B: Jakovich Haynes Braun Hunter

I would be tempted to drop Braun and Kemp down to WAFL for a week so they could find their legs again, bringing Fletcher and Jones in for them. Both are talented but need certain roles to do their best work (Jones is an excellent negator of running opponents, Fletcher very good when we get some run into the forward line). We should also be grooming Glass as a regular CHB, give Jako a bit of a scare in the process.

Probably a little early for me to name the team I'd put in.

Unfortunately for us, as I said in another topic, I think this is gonna be a 'stats game' for Brisbane anyway.. :(

I would drop half the side after that performance. But this would be my side.

Collica McIntosh Glass
Morrison Jakovich Pe Matera
Taylor Braun Wirrpunda
Williams Gaspar Embly
Matera Cummings Merenda
Gardiner Cousins Kemp

Kerr Hunter Carroll Jones

Fletcher should get a wake up call by being dropped and Willow should go back to the reserves and kick a bag to get his confidence up. Dont know what Humm did on the weekend but surely he should get his first run for the Eagles soon. Haynes i thought was pretty useless against Carlton and twice in a minute he did horrible errors in trying to kick the ball into our forward 50.

Give the youngsters a go and drop Morrison(his bad disposal is pissing me off), Wirrpunda(something has to be wrong), Braun(maybe he forgot how to play), Fletcher(needs others playing well to play well himself), Wilson(promised he would split a pack this year, i'm still waiting) and maybe Jones, though he hasn't had too much game time yet and should be given until the split round to prove himself again.

Thats my 2cents

Out - Wilson, Fletcher, Hunter (Needs a full game with Swans)
Doubtful - Kemp (Quad) Joey(Buttock), Wirra (Something wrong?)
In - Chambers, Taylor, Glass,
Close - Green, Humm, Buszan (Should we let Cummo have a run with Swans whilst he gets back some form and fitness and test this young bloke out?)

Cox is still working on his overhead marks in the WAFL. Gardiner desparately needs help but we need not destroy a good young prospects confidence in continuing to play him before he is ready.

Braun is still finding heis feet after playing very little footy in the last 12 months. He is to good to play WAFL.

Harding seems to improve each week.

There are a lot of young guys that we just must persist with so they gain experience. eg Gaspar, Embley, Haynes

When will McIntosh be back. Trent Carroll needs replacing.

GO EAGLES.

Well this is the team that will take on Brisbane tommorow night. Fingers crossed we can get a win.

FB Wirrpunda Jakovich Embly
HB Collica Carroll Williams
C P Matera Cousins Wooden
HF Kerr Gaspar Jones
FF Wilson Cummings Matera
R Gardiner Taylor Braun

Int Cox Humm Chambers Merenda.

Jako at FB is interesting, he'll be matched on Lynch and will probably play on him wherever he goes. Williams and Embly i would rather see forward as they can both be goal kickers. Wooden into the team i think is a good move and hopefully he will inject a little heart and passion. Gaspar at CHF is good, hopefully he can develop into that position and solve our HF problems. Humm on debut, good luck to him.

Personally I think he's dropped the wrong players.

It's good that he's finally started to get tough when it comes to selection, but is it really fair to drop arguably our most consistant player over the last 2/3 seasons when he's returning from injury? And a little guy who while not skillful enough makes up for it as he always has a go?

If he was really serious about sending a warning that 'reputation means nothing', he shouldve bitten the bullet and dropped Wirra, or even Kempy or Jako...... maybe thats going too far though?

If I were Chaddie I feel mighty pissed off right now :mad:

STRONGLY DISAGREE

Morrison has been pathetic in his atitude this season. He wont support his fellow players, lets his opponent run free, never shepherds and wont put his body on the line. He has talent but is not bothered playing.
After seeing him laughing and joking with Carlton players after last weeks slaughter I wanted to see him dropped. He clearly wants to be traded and will go at the end of the season. His body language is just like Gehrigs last season.
I would not like him to go but it will take a change in coach to turn him round

I think Morrisons problem is that he only tries if he thinks the eagles will win. Otherwise he sees it as a waste of time.

He's the type of player that plays good in a good team, but if the team isn't doing to well he drops off aswell.

If his WAFL team wins on the weekend his attitude might change.

Confidence will be the key when the West Coast Eagles take
on the Brisbane Lions at Subiaco on Saturday evening. The
Eagles have named a number of youngsters in their side, so
at least they should be enthusiastic.

Despite speculation during the week, sources at WAFL club East Perth do not
expect Dean Buszan, who kicked nine goals against West Perth last week, to be
promoted from the Rookie list to the senior squad any time soon.

However, several other youngsters will get their chance. Jeremy Humm has been
named for his AFL debut - the fifth Eagles debutant this year.

Josh Wooden is also in for his first game of 2001, along with returning players
Callum Chambers, Dean Cox and Richard Taylor.

Greg Harding is out with a foot injury, while the axe has fallen on Chad Fletcher,
David Haynes, Chad Morrison and Adam Hunter.

The Lions should be full of confidence after beating Premiership favourites
Essendon last week, while it would be difficult to imagine a team with less
confidence than the current Eagles who suffered the club's third worst ever loss to
Carlton.

Brisbane are a team which runs on confidence - so they are either very good, like
last week once they realised they were effectively stopping the Bombers machine, or
they are pretty average.

The other characteristic of Brisbane in recent years is their wasteful kicking at goal.
Many times we have seen games which should have been all wrapped up remain
wide open as the Lions kick more behinds than goals.

These are the keys for the Eagles this weekend. We must put on the pressure right
from the start so they cannot get their confidence up, and take advantage of the fact
that the Lions may well keep us in the game with inaccurate kicking.

Of course, to do this, our players will need to show more confidence than they did
last week. The sort of commitment we saw against the Bulldogs may well be
enough to get over the Lions.

On top of that, we need to kick more goals. Either Troy Wilson or Scott Cummings
must start producing some decent bags if we're going to be competitive. Against
Brisbane it's probably reasonable to expect to need at least 14 or 15 goals to win
the match.

The Record: West Coast have played Brisbane (as both Bears and Lions) 22 times,
the Eagles winning 17, Brisbane winning 4, plus one drawn match.

http://westcoast.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1523&p=2&stid=8129799

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back