Eagles vs dees 2018 almost identical to 1994 as was the Pies game

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
We lost by 57 pts to Freo in 2006 R21 but won the flag
Smashed by the Dogs and Blues too. Held goalless until the final minutes where you rattled on 3 goals, you're only 3 for the match. Mitchell White got a goal on the siren to ensure it wasn't your lowest ever score ( the 1.12 against the Bombers in 89 )

1994 against the Blues you got a pasting. 11 goal loss, this memorable moment.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I was at that game - thanks for unlocking some repressed memories.

Although I was also at the GF later that year so on balance, feeling bloody good about '94!
Blues went out in straight sets, you went on to win the flag.

Blues also lost their last home and away game of the season to Essendon who didn't play finals. That loss knocked them out of top spot, and you guys took full advantage. You almost lost to the Pies a week later mind you ( mentioned in this thread for historical and now famous reasons:) )

Brer Bear

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
In all 4 of West Coast's premiership triumphing seasons, they have lost their second last game of the year.

1992 - Footscray
1994 - Carlton
2006 - Fremantle
2018 - Melbourne

hmmmmmmm. Lose to Richmond, and the flag is yours.
Hope you're right!

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
In all 4 of West Coast's premiership triumphing seasons, they have lost their second last game of the year.

1992 - Footscray
1994 - Carlton
2006 - Fremantle
2018 - Melbourne

hmmmmmmm. Lose to Richmond, and the flag is yours.
All I can think about is this stat.

Oh please be right

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Even in your losing Grand Final years of 2005 and 2015 you lost your second last games of the year. Away to Geelong and Adelaide. 1991 that wasn't the case.

Yesterday was a good omen perhaps. You don't win the 2nd last game of the year when you win the Prem. I think the loss may actually be good in that the hunger will burn and it will make you even more weary from here on in. I think you will beat Richmond if you met them in the Grand Final.

IMO a rematch with Collingwood is one to avoid and the worst possible match up. Anyone else and the flag is yours. The Pies I'd have to think about before I give a definitive answer.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Give me a stat I can cling to Macpotata. 😢
Not to worry. You were supposed to lose your second last game, as you always do when you win the flag. Besides, win this week and you'll be right on track.

15-6-1 in 1992
16-6 win loss record in 1994
16-6 in 2018
16-6 in 2019 if you beat the Hawks

When you lose 6 home and away games or win 16 games, you win the flag:)

( just not in 1990 )

Gaffy Duck

All Australian
May 12, 2019
Fight Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Not to worry. You were supposed to lose your second last game, as you always do when you win the flag. Besides, win this week and you'll be right on track.

15-6-1 in 1992
16-6 win loss record in 1994
16-6 in 2018
16-6 in 2019 if you beat the Hawks

When you lose 6 home and away games or win 16 games, you win the flag:)

( just not in 1990 )

Watch us spud it up this weekend then

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Watch us spud it up this weekend then
It's hard because already mentioned in this thread, it has shades of 2007 written allover it ( as well as an Eagles Prem )

Coming down to the last game on a Saturday at Subi.
The hot out of the water interstate side that has surprised many ( see Port in 2007 who pipped you by percentage, and they played Freo in their last game )
Cats finishing top and also a bolt out of the blue and unexpected rise
The Crows having to win their last game in Melbourne/Victoria against a Vic side to make the 8, and grab that last place

Percentage could * you again. As you did in 07, you might have to travel away to the surprise packet 2nd placed interstate team ( Port07/Lions 2019 )

West Coast 06

Premium Platinum
Jun 5, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast
It's hard because already mentioned in this thread, it has shades of 2007 written allover it ( as well as an Eagles Prem )

Coming down to the last game on a Saturday at Subi.
The hot out of the water interstate side that has surprised many ( see Port in 2007 who pipped you by percentage, and they played Freo in their last game )
Cats finishing top and also a bolt out of the blue and unexpected rise
The Crows having to win their last game in Melbourne/Victoria against a Vic side to make the 8, and grab that last place

Percentage could fu** you again. As you did in 07, you might have to travel away to the surprise packet 2nd placed interstate team ( Port07/Lions 2019 )
Look, I don’t know what you are doing here, but it seems to be undoing some of your good work....

West Coast 06

Premium Platinum
Jun 5, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve said all along this year has a very 07 feel about it. Let’s hope it ends better than that
It’s nothing like 07.

In 07 there was a massive dark cloud hanging over the club. The playing group was fractured, Cousins was about to meet his demise and Judd was about to leave the club.

We played that final against Port without Kerr, Judd on one leg in the goal square and Cousins pinging a season ending hammy in the game. If my memory serves me correctly we then lost Waters and Hansen before the second final against Collingwood (although admittedly I do try and forget the whole thing).

Nothing like this year at all. The players are a tight knit group with strong leadership and a belief in themselves. We can make history here.

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
We played that final against Port without Kerr, Judd on one leg in the goal square and Cousins pinging a season ending hammy in the game. If my memory serves me correctly we then lost Waters and Hansen before the second final against Collingwood (although admittedly I do try and forget the whole thing).

I remember that game at Footy Park vividly. The Ben Cousins hamstring was heartbreaking. We have never gone back to back. In 93 we lost the final game of the round and let results go our way just to make the top 6 and in 95 we had to face North away from home despite finishing higher than the Roos due to a contract saying that the MCG must host a final which was abolised after season 2004.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember that game at Footy Park vividly. The Ben Cousins hamstring was heartbreaking. We have never gone back to back. In 93 we lost the final game of the round and let results go our way just to make the top 6 and in 95 we had to face North away from home despite finishing higher than the Roos due to a contract saying that the MCG must host a final which was abolised after season 2004.

1995 wasn't actually due to the MCG contract. We did finish higher than North (us 5th, them 6th) but we lost our first final, they won theirs. The way it worked back then four qualifying finals in the first week - two highest winners go to host prelims, next two winners host semis and play the two highest losers for the right to go to prelims.

1996 and 1996 were our ****ed by the MCG contract years. And technically, you could argue 1988, 1990, 1991 we were also ****ed by having to play in Melbourne but it took until 1991 until we were allowed to host a final, and we only were allowed one (anyone have any idea if they would have let us host another had we won our first final that year? My recollection is we were only allowed one in the first week due to finishing 1st?).

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
You guys are in trouble. You have your customary 5 or 6 goals against the Hawkers in the first half in your premiership years. You rarely lead them too. That's all I can give you at this stage and it's no special omen.

You have to win or your title is gone.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
there's a good start. I just switched stations and missed that goal.

Cameron's going off in the other game and leads the Coleman. He should finish with 10+

Eagles back on track

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
15-7 like in 2007. You ****ed your last game there against the Dons where you lost percentage. That was at Subi, even though you won.

This game crushed you tonight, as did last week. But so too did the 1 point loss to the Pies which would have seen you go 2 games clear of the next teams in the 4.

Game over boys. Just not your season. Like the others as defending champs just way too much inconsistency.

Back