AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isnt a fair way to do it realistically. There is little interstate movement of players in comparison to the mens, and it has been a 1 team state. The burden was always going to fall mostly on Freo, and the same thing will happen in Qld. For them, the upside is it only happens once. Vic teams are not as hard hit, but they got hit last year, this year, and will get hit again in a year or 2.
Freo had first stab at all the WA players, so the equalization had to happen. With the 1 year contracts they use in AFLW, you could argue we should be able to get half of their squad, so really 8 seems like an ok compromise. But yeh, it will hurt Freo - this year was their best chance to win a flag, at least short term.

Wouldn't have been a problem if they just gave us both licenses to start with like they should have. Both Freo and West Coast initial submissions were apparently better than the Victorian teams that got licenses.

Freo had first stab at all the WA players, so the equalization had to happen. With the 1 year contracts they use in AFLW, you could argue we should be able to get half of their squad, so really 8 seems like an ok compromise. But yeh, it will hurt Freo - this year was their best chance to win a flag, at least short term.

Wouldn't have been a problem if they just gave us both licenses to start with like they should have. Both Freo and West Coast initial submissions were apparently better than the Victorian teams that got licenses.
The marquee player signings helped to dilute the benefit of having a single state to source from.

Too many WA Women are good footballers. So many are playing over east.

Oh well. Maybe we'll destroy them in a AFLW State of Origin.

I’m glad the women are playing a sport they love to play and getting so much enjoyment out of it, but I haven’t been able to get into it. Having our own team to get invested in will make a difference, pretty excited now.
This. I tried to get around Adelaide but it just isn’t the same. Very keen to have another Eagles team to support next year.

This. I tried to get around Adelaide but it just isn’t the same. Very keen to have another Eagles team to support next year.
Absolutely, Im already checking out the kicking style of all the little girls in the family :D

Seriously thought she’d be WCE captain next year. But good for her for her loyalty to Adelaide. Although I guess it’s an easier decision when your team is far and away best in the comp.
I wonder if Phillips going down was a factor? She may have felt like leaving would be a desertion.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yash, she would have been my first choice, with Miller second. Don't think we are a shot at getting Duffy.

Pretty sure I saw an Instagram post from Miller at an Eagles game last year, decked out in Eagles gear, so think it's a good shot.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

932e69c292ead7082815097cee1e65f3.jpg

The AFLW jumper has some seriously deep wings.

Welcome Dana! Is she the first player to ever go between the two WA clubs? (Ignoring Grey as he's only a WAFL player)
Trent Carroll, David Hynes, Greg Harding and Daniel Metropolis have all played for both clubs off the top of my head

Edit : and brendon fewster above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back