AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually had a quick look last night, a few thoughts...

- Golly, Grace Kelly has some skills. She mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw her miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that Atkins split her time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingwoman role in 2020. She was her usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Guard in a forward role.
- Niamh Kelly is very fast - Gibson was in most of the drills with her and couldn't keep up.
- Swanson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFLW player.
- There was a big shiela who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma’s wife, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- McGuire was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- No sign of Janz, Dowrick or Caulfield. Couldn't tell you why.
- Gibson kicked on her right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Bonser looked a class above the other midfielders bar Bowen. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Hooker was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Smith. Doesn't bode well for her captaincy credentials, maybe she doesn't want the gig?
- Bowen looked on and was hitting targets left and right. Set for a huge 2020.
- Laurie went up against Pisconeri in the ruck contests and I'd say that Laurie has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Orme looked as though she'd enjoyed the pre-Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled her aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Kate was sent to do instagram-updates for the rest of the session. Good news for Tester, I suppose.
- A lot of running work again, clearly a focus even in the heat.
- Bullas looked like she was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Green in particular seemed to be following her around.
Gee, feels good to be back in preseason

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Nice to see the Girls going to the fans after training thanking both of them for coming down to watch .
Nice point you raise, are Eagles fans shallow corporates, and not traditional footy club fans?

I am not sure of the answer, what's your take?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Im not sure of the question
It's simple. I played footy all my life. If you supported the club, you turned up. You turn up for Colts, for ressies, for seniors. If the club held a snail race, you turned up. If you couldn't, that was ok, it wasn't compulsory, but to express an utter lack of interest might see you being asked quietly if you really wanted to be at the club.

Clubs like Richmond and Collingwood have supporters that follow the club, they turn up for training, for parades, for events. The women's team has an open training session, they turn up.

The criticism of the Eagles is, it's supporters are consumers, more than they are supporters. They buy a membership,which is really only a seat allocation, watch the game, then go home. Or, they turn on the game on tv, when it's over, they switch off. They consume football as a product, and think that is being a supporter.

Consumers do not do things like, turn up to watch the women's team train, that's something supporters do.

Are Eagles fans consumers or supporters, in your view. What do you see yourself as?
The Eagles women's team is part of the club. It isn't as important as the mens team, but it is part of the club.

A complete lack of interest would certainly imply a culture of football consumerism masquerading as support.

DJMac

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
West Coast, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
It's simple. I played footy all my life. If you supported the club, you turned up. You turn up for Colts, for ressies, for seniors. If the club held a snail race, you turned up. If you couldn't, that was ok, it wasn't compulsory, but to express an utter lack of interest might see you being asked quietly if you really wanted to be at the club.

Clubs like Richmond and Collingwood have supporters that follow the club, they turn up for training, for parades, for events. The women's team has an open training session, they turn up.

The criticism of the Eagles is, it's supporters are consumers, more than they are supporters. They buy a membership,which is really only a seat allocation, watch the game, then go home. Or, they turn on the game on tv, when it's over, they switch off. They consume football as a product, and think that is being a supporter.

Consumers do not do things like, turn up to watch the women's team train, that's something supporters do.

Are Eagles fans consumers or supporters, in your view. What do you see yourself as?
The Eagles women's team is part of the club. It isn't as important as the mens team, but it is part of the club.

A complete lack of interest would certainly imply a culture of football consumerism masquerading as support.

I guess that means that to be a supporter you have to attend training and games for the AFL men’s team, the AFLW women’s team and the WAFL men’s team. It’s going to keep people busy.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I guess that means that to be a supporter you have to attend training and games for the AFL men’s team, the AFLW women’s team and the WAFL men’s team. It’s going to keep people busy.
Not at all. People prioritise, that's life. But how many Eagles supporters live within a 5 or 10 min drive of the ground.

How many of them didn't have anything in particular on.

If none of them thought, I might just take my footy mad daughter to check out the new team training, then that says something about Eagles fans wouldn't you think.

In any case, it's a moot point as the Eagles posted a crowd of a few hundred.

My initial response was to a comment someone thought a witty put down of the Eagles women's team, in itself an odd thing for a fan to do, but which was really a put down of Eagles fans if you thought about it.

I was looking for an expansion of thinking on the subject.

I think the Beagles and the AFLW team are great additions to the club. A really good way for the club to engage with fans who have given up on ever getting a seated membership for the Mens team. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how the women's side goes this season and the WAFL boys.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think the Beagles and the AFLW team are great additions to the club. A really good way for the club to engage with fans who have given up on ever getting a seated membership for the Mens team. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how the women's side goes this season and the WAFL boys.
It brings a more traditional footy feel to the club. It was always a disadvantage imop that the only way you could really engage the club was via a membership or the TV.

The option of being able to check out the Beagles, or women adds to the experience.

Even if not many do at any 1 time.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes

Not being able to take my family to footy games because the stadium is too small hasnt helped. 20 year member and only 2 memberships . 7 kids and only the girls would come to the game . The family days used to be good for them . Free choc milk and icecreams and stuff . Just when I was about to let the memberships go my wife started coming with me as she could drink and as she said its the only time we go out . We used to leave 2 hrs before bounce at subi but now we have to leave 3 hrs before bounce . It becomes a long day . The kids like the Eagles but would rather play computer games . They are different to me . But to answer your question its corporate and we are too big a fan base . If you live across from the footy oval at lathlain it might be different .

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Not being able to take my family to footy games because the stadium is too small hasnt helped. 20 year member and only 2 memberships . 7 kids and only the girls would come to the game . The family days used to be good for them . Free choc milk and icecreams and stuff . Just when I was about to let the memberships go my wife started coming with me as she could drink and as she said its the only time we go out . We used to leave 2 hrs before bounce at subi but now we have to leave 3 hrs before bounce . It becomes a long day . The kids like the Eagles but would rather play computer games . They are different to me . But to answer your question its corporate and we are too big a fan base . If you live across from the footy oval at lathlain it might be different .
I'm not even in Perth, so going to the footy is a whole day trip

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Not at all. People prioritise, that's life. But how many Eagles supporters live within a 5 or 10 min drive of the ground.

How many of them didn't have anything in particular on.

If none of them thought, I might just take my footy mad daughter to check out the new team training, then that says something about Eagles fans wouldn't you think.

In any case, it's a moot point as the Eagles posted a crowd of a few hundred.

My initial response was to a comment someone thought a witty put down of the Eagles women's team, in itself an odd thing for a fan to do, but which was really a put down of Eagles fans if you thought about it.

I was looking for an expansion of thinking on the subject.

Generally I dont like womens sports where it is brutal or contact sport . I trIed to get into it , watching the girls train . The video showed only 2 people getting autographs after the training . Its in its infancy . They wear an eagles guernsey but if thats the only appeal to watch I probably wont watch . Maybe I will but dont get angry when they serve up a meal and its bland at this stage and my taste buds arent accustomed .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back