AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn’t she allowed to play?

I don’t know to be honest mate. I’ve spoken to one of the coaches and they said it has to be a like for like replacement, which I don’t get, because she’s already replaced a “like” type player on the list. Maybe someone like Jatz might know more about the rules for injury replacements and can explain more, but it baffles me that she can’t just play once she’s been added to the list. What’s the point of an injury replacement who can’t just play when we want them to?

AFLCA VOTES RND 2

West Coast v Fremantle:

10 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
8 Katie-Jayne Grieve (FRE)
5 Evie Gooch (FRE)
3 Chantella Perera (WCE)
2 Philipa Seth (FRE)
1 Janelle Cuthbertson (FRE)
1 Jasmin Stewart (FRE)

EAGLE AFLW TOTAL

Dana Hooker - 7
Emma Swanson - 5
Chantelle Perera - 3

Parris Laurie got a start in team of the week :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mikayla Bowen - Loving the way she goes about it at 18yrs of age. Early call - she'll skipper WCE in a few seasons.

Even just the one change sees the team better balanced imop. We lose height, but she wasn't really effective anyway. Better a smaller player that is at least effective.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree Dana should have been the Captain.

Think the Club missed on that call, I don't buy the overload theory, pretty simple .... you want your team lead the best it can be, then put your best leader in charge as Captain.

Watched the Dockers V Pies game yesterday and it was obvious that these two teams are going to feature in the finals, so that puts our girls start to the season in perspective.

The standard and quality of the structures and ball movement of the two teams yesterday, highlighted the two key areas of the game that our girls need to work on. The other glaringly obvious need for our list managers is to find players in the next few drafts who are capable of taking an overhead mark.

Oh and Roxy Roux ........... from right under own recruiters noses ......... how did we miss her ............ going to be a Purple star.

Our first two games have been a harsh baptism of fire as we have been up against two very mature ,composed and quality teams ,on form hard to imagine a tougher start to the season for a new side than the hand we have been dealt.

Side Note : Thought that the Dockers were lucky to get away with the win yesterday, there were a few obvious free kicks to the Pies, late in the game, in front of goals, that the umps were to scared to call, that said both teams played well and it was as high a quality game as I have seen in AFLW yet.
The skills and performances are very much on the improve across the competition from the more seasoned teams.

Hopefully the naysayers can see this ....... patience grasshoppers patience.

Last edited:
Oh and Roxy Roux ........... from right under own recruiters noses ......... how did we miss her ............ going to be a Purple star.
We didn’t.

She was in our academy.

I believe we traded our higher picks for more established players I believe

Super gutted we missed her, she’s been a star since the early days

Found this- Traded: First-round selection (now pick 17) to Brisbane for McKenzie Dowrick

I think we went up thedraft as we signed Freo players ( below)

Signed: Ashlee Atkins (Fremantle), Kate Bartlett (Western Bulldogs), Mikayla Bowen (u/18), Melissa Caulfield (Fremantle), Maddy Collier (Greater Western Sydney), Cassie Davidson (Fremantle), Rosie Deegan (u/18), McKenzie Dowrick (Brisbane), Kellie Gibson (Fremantle), Brianna Green (Fremantle), Courtney Guard (nee Stubbs; Fremantle), Dana Hooker (Fremantle), Alicia Janz (Fremantle), Grace Kelly (Ireland, rookie), Niamh Kelly (Ireland, rookie), Parris Laurie (Fremantle), Belinda Smith (Western Bulldogs), Emma Swanson (Greater Western Sydney).
Traded: First-round selection (now pick 17) to Brisbane for McKenzie Dowrick. Pick 86 to Fremantle for Cassie Davidson. Pick 90 to the Western Bulldogs for Kate Bartlett.
Expansion Signings/Delisted: N/A (expansion club)

Last edited:
Doing some numbers while bored on our forward woes. We’ve kicked 5 goals (unsurprisingly worst in the league) from 58 forward entries (third worst). That gives us a conversion rate of 8.6% of forward entries resulting in goals, which is also the worst in the league - well below the league average of 17.9% and only Richmond and Melbourne are also below 10%.

So we have issues actually generating opportunities for the forwards, but the bigger issue I think is the inability to convert those opportunities.

Which was probably obvious even without going into stats, but it’s nice to see they agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back