AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Not that I am aware of. The last young ruck mentioned as being any good is McAuliffe, and she is pretty so/so with the Dockers. The fact the Dockers took an undersized Laurie may mean the cupboard is pretty bare.

Dorizzi is still around and she was a ruck in juniors, but she is really undersized by AFLW standards. She got away with it by being athletic.

I think it will be a problem area.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The Dockers took Laurie and chose to play her despite being shorter than most rucks because everything else she offered around the ground, not just her ruck work. She reads the play well and has great hands around the contest from what I’ve seen in the games she played for Freo this year. A lot of Freos scores came from Laurie’s handballs out to players in good space.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

If you can't find anyone locally. Norwood SA has Leah Cutting 27 year old 184 cm former swimmer. Played the trials in 2016 but overlooked has been in SANFLW for the 3 years. Adverstiser Team of the Year in 2018

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
jatz14 thoughts on McKenzie Dowrick with Brisbane who we supposedly have made an offer to. Did not watch any of their games so she is not familiar to me.
Didn't start all that well but grew into the season. Has a solid game, decent mark, gets a bit of the footy.

The big plus to her game is she has a thumping left foot. One of the few players capable of hitting a target out to about 45m.

Would make an ideal half back flank or wing.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
It seems that tactically the AFLW shift is for minimal lol and more mobility. Less big pack marks and more hitting up targets on a lead and uncontested. Given that, I am feeling less concerned that we are building players who have running capability and decent skills (feels like we also rate hard ball get players).

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Screenshot_20190416-142503.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Is she really only 178cm? Too short for a ruck, I would think. Great to have her on board anyway.
One of the shortest rucks in the league. Her role at Freo was basically compete in the ruck, then be an extra midfielder when it hit the ground. She is basically that big bodied midfielder we wanted, she is just doing it from the ruck role. If we get a bigger ruck, an option is to have her as a mobile marking target in the forward line, giving a chop out in the ruck.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
One of the shortest rucks in the league. Her role at Freo was basically compete in the ruck, then be an extra midfielder when it hit the ground. She is basically that big bodied midfielder we wanted, she is just doing it from the ruck role. If we get a bigger ruck, an option is to have her as a mobile marking target in the forward line, giving a chop out in the ruck.
We need Emma King to come home;).

At 187 cm, she is the right height to be the ruck. Did she sign for 1 or 2 years with the Shinboners?

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Is she really only 178cm? Too short for a ruck, I would think. Great to have her on board anyway.

As Jatz mentions she is a shorter ruck but she has a good leap on her and can compete in the ruck. She’s also a former basketballer which is very important these days on here. :p

Seriously though, she is a great pickup for us and offers versatility that other rucks don’t. I agree with Jatz that it wouldn’t hurt to pick up a second taller option to give Paz a chop out when she needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back