Early Christmas gift: Hugh Re-signs

Club know better then me but is it a bit early to extend Payne? Not exactly a high pick and shouldn't we see if he is up to AFL level first?

You did see him as a 17 year old in the NEAFL GF? Like ruckmen and key forwards, key backs usually take time to develop. The club drafted him, and the club has seen how he has embraced the proffessional footballer's lifestyle. If the club thinks he is worth an extension so early, I would trust their judgement.

Also worth noting that the club has been pushing for 3 year contracts. Payne was extended to, effectively, a 3 year contract.

I don't mind it. I also thought it a bit soon (plus, academy, so theoretically he shouldn't be going anywhere), but if the club judge that the extra year will help either us or him, no problems here.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of psychology in here for the later picks. I can imagine a late pick either being underconfident (especially after the AFLPA harp on about how few players make it) or overstressed (at the idea of being the last in, first out). Depending on the player, giving them the extra year, particularly for a KPP where development takes time, might reassure them that we're committed to them, and allow them to give 100% of their attention to their footy. Especially if we aren't expecting them to debut in the first year. No inside info on Jack at all here - just theories.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
we don't want another 'Voss era' here where we try to underpay draftees coming off their rookie contracts... it's better off overpaying them now so they can get another year or two to settle in. Usually home sickness subsides after 3 years.

Or in Rayner's case.....after 3 months

I like that boy.

braddsey

Club Legend
May 11, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also worth noting that the club has been pushing for 3 year contracts. Payne was extended to, effectively, a 3 year contract.
I’d be happy to see the club extend all draftees to 3-years for this reason. It’s the club standing up for principals in saying this is what we believe, and going through with it. We’ve lost more through draftees leaving, than we have through signing draftees for too long. The players we’ve typically signed for too long have been the guys we’ve brought in via trades.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You did see him as a 17 year old in the NEAFL GF? Like ruckmen and key forwards, key backs usually take time to develop. The club drafted him, and the club has seen how he has embraced the proffessional footballer's lifestyle. If the club thinks he is worth an extension so early, I would trust their judgement.
More than happy of what I have seen of Payne.........lots of potential so lock him away. Would definitely not be surprised for him to play a number of senior games 2018.

I could see a bit of Mal Michael in Payne. Big, fit, not overly imaginative and does what he's told. Not bad principles for a young full back.

He may well be the Jase Clarke type who arrives with little fanfare but suddenly owns fullback after 5 games.

His 1v1 defensive work was seriously impressive. I watched him around 4 or 5 times live and conceded around 2-3 goals in total. Can't ever see him clocking up possessions but he will be able to handle gorillas in the AFL down the line. Tough as nails too, one of the goals he conceded he dislocated his shoulder/arm trying to defend the ball.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I could see a bit of Mal Michael in Payne. Big, fit, not overly imaginative and does what he's told. Not bad principles for a young full back.

He may well be the Jase Clarke type who arrives with little fanfare but suddenly owns fullback after 5 games.
Elite kick as well. Backline really developing to have elite disposals only permitted

Not the same level of excitement, but nevertheless we've come a long way since this thread was created. There are players at each club that deserve and should be a one-club career player. Hugh is one of them. We will now see what happens when he hits free agency.

Well done Hugh, well done Mr Ambrogio, well done Lions.

Not the same level of excitement,
wut.

I'm completely stoked. Continued buy in from players like Hugh is what will keep the group together. Fantastic stuff!

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU BEAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTY

locked and loaded, lets hope for some premiership years, or at least him smashing the opposition to up his trade value at the end if he so wishes it. Love him either way :D

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great to hear this.
wasn't he tagged as a flight risk when drafted , some preferred Ainsworth .
Pfft negative Nellies.;)
We've come along way since the 2016 draft.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Not sure I should make it a habit agreeing with you Dylan... both those boys add a lot to the side and have a point of difference to other currently in the 22
All good Brett, its nice agreeing with some old sparring partners once in a while, after all, we do share a love of the mighty Brisbane Lions. :thumbsu:

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
153fe373cd952b9e03c397dc555da125.gif

Edit: that was supposed to be an animated gif dammit. Stupid iPhone. Arr, you get the drift. Rock on, Hugh.
I've figured out how to do it over the ensuing three years. Sentiment remains the same.

IMG_3994.GIF

Didn't know if I should put this on this thread or the 2021 Lions Off-Season so I decided to put it on both just in case ;)

Boys seem very happy with the McCluggage 3 year extension I must say and I wouldn't blame them either :cool:

Last edited:
Back