Early indicators of future success? (QLD) RL perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Without looking at genetic codes and individual predisposition for performance, are there any signs, traits, standards one can pick in a young player that may indicate he is at least 'built' for a higher standard than average when he matures?

Ive thought about it. In the end I looked at the finished products on TV, and wondered whet they all had in common at about 12 that I could understand and put in my own perspective?

The answer was although they would have been all different shapes and sizes, but from a RL perspective, all or every single AFL listed player, had he played RL as a junior instead of AFL, would have made at least an entry level Representative Junior RL side. Even the smallest AFL players would probably have been tricky halfbacks or 5/8s.

So that to me would be the 1st prerequisite. If a junior cant expect to make an entry level Junior RL team (in QLD or NSW) at u12, he will likely never play at AFL level. No ifs, no buts, I recon all AFL listed players could have done it, and if a boy cant, its unlikely he will ever play AFL level footy.

Second is god given ability. Things that cant be taught. The 1st and most obvious is speed. You must be considered quick at least at club level. Speed for your size. You must be able to compete at speed. Don't have it and again, you wont make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back