Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Freeman is a wonderful addition. We've been crying out for some outside speed as we are fairly well set for inside midfielders. He's got a strong body and plenty of ability; as I said his speed is going to be very useful along with the fact he's not only an outside player but capable on the inside as well. Very well rounded. I expect him to play most of next season if he's fit.

I still really like Acres and I hope he can force his way into the team next year. 190cm+ smooth moving midfielder. I like his potential but of course he won't be gifted games, especially as well have some strong competition for spots next year. Hopefully can play 11+ games next year and show people why he was rated top 10 quality of 2013 by many until he had some injuries. The good thing about Acres is that he seems capable on the flanks as secondary roles so hopefully that flexibility will see him get some more game time.

Hopefully we get to see Gresham a fair amount next year, despite not being strongly built yet we've shown we're willing to play these youngsters such as Billings and Lonie to success in the past. I think he'll alternate between stints in the VFL and AFL and most of his AFL time will be spent as more of a half forward type similar to Billings when he started, that would be my best guess.

The club has said we have hopes for Brandon White to move into a role on the wing rather than half back which is what he has been described as. He's got a thumping and accurate left boot and is a good height, and so comparisons have been made to Isaac Smith. I think he has all the tools to become a wingman and I ultimately believe he will be developed with this intention.

I'm very interested in Curnow as I rated him in the late teens and didn't think he was top 10 quality, but that may be because of the footy he's missed. Don't think he'll have as much impact as Jake Stringer (he's constantly compared to him), but in terms of ceiling probably a level or two below Stringer's ceiling, which is still fairly good. How many games do you see him playing next year?

I think the comparisons players gets is unfair
Curnow compared to Jake Stringer
Harley Balic compared to Pendlebury
Weitering compared to Alex Rance
Gresham even compares to Dion Prestia

Puts a lot more pressure on these kids but it is what it is

I think Bolton will give these draftees every chance to get senior games. Our VFL team last year did poorly so really don't see much holding them back playing other than conditioning but reports Curnow finished third in time trial. He might get sanctioned for his incident maybe 2 game ban but I can see him getting games early along with Jacob Weitering. Charlie might play 10-15 games

Pick 5 turned out being pick 6 and pick 24 ended up being pick 29.
It's easier to evaluate with the draft done, essentially we traded Aaron Francis and Alex Morgan for Jake Carlisle and Jade Gresham. I don't rate Morgan at all and I think Gresham is a huge upgrade on Morgan. Francis could turn out better than Carlisle, I really rate Francis, but at this stage I'd prefer Carlisle because he's a KPD (Francis more suited to 3rd tall role) which we have been crying out for and he's at a good age for us. The incident with Jake doesn't worry me at all, I believe in a St Kilda environment he'll greatly benefit and he's working very hard in the pre-season by all reports. Overall I'm very happy with Jake and Jade in favour of Francis and Morgan, at this stage of course.

(also a minor point, but have heard Saints rated Brandon White at around number 14 on our list and we got him with 41, if we still had pick 29 and we did rate him at 14 like it's been reported, it's likely we would have selected him there. If that's the case we have essentially traded Francis for Carlisle and Gresham). I wouldn't exactly consider Gresham a roll of the dice, but seeing where you're coming from with the whole trade in general now makes more sense.

Likewise I wouldn't place too much concern over Curnow's incident either. A minor **** up but he'll be fine, the question more is his playing ability from this point forward and his dedication.

most recruiters are dyslexic - Hence 41 becomes 14.

Pick 5 turned out being pick 6 and pick 24 ended up being pick 29.
It's easier to evaluate with the draft done, essentially we traded Aaron Francis and Alex Morgan for Jake Carlisle and Jade Gresham. I don't rate Morgan at all and I think Gresham is a huge upgrade on Morgan. Francis could turn out better than Carlisle, I really rate Francis, but at this stage I'd prefer Carlisle because he's a KPD (Francis more suited to 3rd tall role) which we have been crying out for and he's at a good age for us. The incident with Jake doesn't worry me at all, I believe in a St Kilda environment he'll greatly benefit and he's working very hard in the pre-season by all reports. Overall I'm very happy with Jake and Jade in favour of Francis and Morgan, at this stage of course.

(also a minor point, but have heard Saints rated Brandon White at around number 14 on our list and we got him with 41, if we still had pick 29 and we did rate him at 14 like it's been reported, it's likely we would have selected him there. If that's the case we have essentially traded Francis for Carlisle and Gresham). I wouldn't exactly consider Gresham a roll of the dice, but seeing where you're coming from with the whole trade in general now makes more sense.

Likewise I wouldn't place too much concern over Curnow's incident either. A minor **** up but he'll be fine, the question more is his playing ability from this point forward and his dedication.
Watched a bit of junior footy did you? Or just the highlights packages?

best ever? thats a big call...would have thought a Deledio, Cotchin or Martin though the term 'best' is subjective?

The current coaching regime weren't around when Deledio and Cotchin were drafted so it's hard to gauge. I don't think it's surprising
Markov would stand out in pre-season training given his father was an Olympic athlete. You'd assume because of that his attitude to training and fitness would be outstanding.

I'm not really taking anything out of it until we see something to work with in the NAB or VFL....

At Fremantle, apparently the stand outs at this early stage of their careers have been Uebergang and Nihuis. Nihuis in particular is being reported to be a really neat player with decent disposal. Pretty sure Tucker and Balic will do well though. They both have a bit of class and professionalism about them. Yarran is in the rehab group, and there haven't been any reports to speak of for our Collins.

Tucker and Balic are unlikely to see more than a couple of games until they have built the required fitness base and learnt the game plan. That is one of the Lyon mantras, and realistically in 2016 the club is going to be trying to fit Bennell, Weller and Morabito into an already powerful midfield. Langdon is a strong candidate for inclusion too. The weak areas of our midfield rotations include Suban, de Boer and Mzungu who are seasoned, hard fitness machines.

Yarran is going to be competing with Walters and Ballantyne, so the realistic opportunity is probably to displace Mayne (which is not unrealistic). Crozier is going to be significant opposition for him in terms of becoming a member of our best 22.

And while we are looking for a forward both Uebergang and Collins shape more as defenders, plus Taberner is hitting the right age to become a more realistic best 22, and down back or as a swingman A Pearce is great prospect.

At Fremantle, apparently the stand outs at this early stage of their careers have been Uebergang and Nihuis. Nihuis in particular is being reported to be a really neat player with decent disposal. Pretty sure Tucker and Balic will do well though. They both have a bit of class and professionalism about them. Yarran is in the rehab group, and there haven't been any reports to speak of for our Collins.

Tucker and Balic are unlikely to see more than a couple of games until they have built the required fitness base and learnt the game plan. That is one of the Lyon mantras, and realistically in 2016 the club is going to be trying to fit Bennell, Weller and Morabito into an already powerful midfield. Langdon is a strong candidate for inclusion too. The weak areas of our midfield rotations include Suban, de Boer and Mzungu who are seasoned, hard fitness machines.

Yarran is going to be competing with Walters and Ballantyne, so the realistic opportunity is probably to displace Mayne (which is not unrealistic). Crozier is going to be significant opposition for him in terms of becoming a member of our best 22.

And while we are looking for a forward both Uebergang and Collins shape more as defenders, plus Taberner is hitting the right age to become a more realistic best 22, and down back or as a swingman A Pearce is great prospect.

yeah id be surprised if balic plays more then 1 sub game... Weller, Blakely and Langdon should all push for more games? How are those boys looking on the track so far?

I'm very curious to see how Weideman Curnow Gresham and Lovell perform in there first year more so than other draftees. Feel that clubs rolled dice on these players during the off season and think on most cases might pay off. Weideman injured most of last year but good reviews on him, will be amazing effort if gets to play R1. Want to see how he develops along side Jesse Hogan which is a promising combination
Weideman is a far way off it. Tall forward with a less than stellar fitness base and not a lot of football in 2015. Will be far outshone by Curnow and Gresham next year assuming they get some AFL time.

Weideman is a far way off it. Tall forward with a less than stellar fitness base and not a lot of football in 2015. Will be far outshone by Curnow and Gresham next year assuming they get some AFL time.

Then do you think Demons should have gone the safer option with Curnow or another tall say McKay or even Wayne Milera?

Charlie Curnow I was reading came third in the time trial and Wayne Milera already has senior experience, think the risk with Weideman is his injuries but I hope do get proven wrong as also reading prior to injuries was playing very good. Still think bit of a risk. Jade Gresham I think will also take time before plays in senior squad

Then do you think Demons should have gone the safer option with Curnow or another tall say McKay or even Wayne Milera?

Charlie Curnow I was reading came third in the time trial and Wayne Milera already has senior experience, think the risk with Weideman is his injuries but I hope do get proven wrong as also reading prior to injuries was playing very good. Still think bit of a risk. Jade Gresham I think will also take time before plays in senior squad
CURNOW IS NOT A "SAFE" OR "SAFER" OPTION!

He simply means that Weideman won't be rushed into the senior team because he's got a long way to go fitness wise to get to where he needs to be after his injury interrupted season and we have players that can fill those holes until he is ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CURNOW IS NOT A "SAFE" OR "SAFER" OPTION!

He simply means that Weideman won't be rushed into the senior team because he's got a long way to go fitness wise to get to where he needs to be after his injury interrupted season and we have players that can fill those holes until he is ready.

Fair enough
Then who would your second preference be instead of Weideman at pick 9?

If Harry McKay not available at 10 I would of wanted Wayne Milera to be selected
If Charlie Curnow not available at 12 I would want either Burton or Lovell

Fair enough
Then who would your second preference be instead of Weideman at pick 9?

If Harry McKay not available at 10 I would of wanted Wayne Milera to be selected
If Charlie Curnow not available at 12 I would want either Burton or Lovell
Who ever slide from the 8 prior selections.

yeah id be surprised if balic plays more then 1 sub game... Weller, Blakely and Langdon should all push for more games? How are those boys looking on the track so far?

Well, for starters the sub rule is no more next year...
Basic highly unlikely to play, still very light on and fighting a number of more seasoned guys for a spot. The three you mention are primed to fill an injury role. Langdon has the lowest profile but represents the safest bet for start before the others, really strong runner and a smart player - I.e Ross's type.
There will be an interesting shift at freo with bennell arriving and those 3 you mention developing. We're all hanging to see the young bucks tested here in the west with foot soldiers like suban, mzungo and deboer held more accountable

2nd week of training:

Weitering clearly has the class but not particularly vibrant as yet. Seems to be hitting things with plenty in reserve.
McKay much better than the first week. Glided over the ground for a 200cm 17 y.o. and showed class through drills as well as marking and goal-kicking.
Curnow is clearly competitive, given the family genes. Much more assertive than his first week and movement was good. Quite aggressive for a kid.
Cuningham continued on from week 1 and looks every bit a player...for now. Just cuts through traffic with confidence. Hard to resist.
Silvagni in the rehab group looking happy with himself........which is a good thing and as with all the others, he just seems to belong.

- M.Talia has taken responsibility to make sure our draftees can tie their own shoe laces.

If you've taught him how to tie laces he's developed rapidly in his time with the Swans. Was the dumbest bloke on our list
in a canter irrespective of the crap that may or may not have happened on his way out the door.

Collins and Adams looking good early. Both have the advantage of having well developed bodies, even though KCol is only 17 still
Do you think both will play a lot senior football in 2015?

How in the hell is yarran competing for a spot with ballas and Walters. Yarran is not a small fwd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back