Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Early observations, purely not biased:

Schache: Will win the Coleman this season, will finish at least 20 goals higher than that Jesse Hogan hack.

Hipwood: Lock for All Australian Back or Forward, depends on which half he plays more in.

Keays: Rising Star, lock it in.

Mathisen: Will either be second in the Rising Star or equal first with Keays.

Skinner: All Australian CHB based on just 10 games where he keeps all forwards he plays on goalless.

So a pretty disappointing year, given none won the Brownlow?

So a pretty disappointing year, given none won the Brownlow?

Wanted to keep my expectations somewhat grounded! And thought it best for another club to have one last Brownlow before we go on a 10 year one-club streak! ;)

Bailey Williams has been the real surprise packet from our draft. Every time theres been reports on BF from training he's been brought up. Pretty excited to see him in action.

From North:

Ben McKay: Impressive with his attack at the ball, marking ability, defensive application and mobility. Despite being a lump of a lad will need a year or two in the weights room. Will spend the year in the reserves playing full forward.

Ryan Clarke: Disposal ok, not great. Good inside, works hard without the ball and already a very good size for an inside/outside mid. Unlikely to get much game time in 2016.

Mitch Hibberd: A great physical specimen. Doing all the work but not really standing out in any area other than endurance. Holding his own in game sense drills. An option for the first 22 but behind quite a few others.

Corey Wagner: Quick, uses it well and impressing his team mates with his attacking prowess off half forward. Probably the pick of the bunch so far. Might get a gig at some point.

Declan Mountford: Gets involved, breaks away from packs with ease ut is let down by his kicking. Huge motor. In the 2's for the year.

Last edited:
From the Tiges:

Rioli- Going pretty well by all reports, certainly a small forward spot up for grabs in our side so they will give him a chance to take it in NAB, will get games at some stage.

Markov- Had all the hype after his first week or so but it seems to have settled down, expect him to play most of the year in the 2's.

Broad- Has slotted in without much trouble and impressed, which I suppose is easier to do when you come in as a 22 year old, but I think he will still struggle to find a spot in the back half where we are quite settled.

Moore- Long term tall prospect, has a lot of good attributes and a lot that he has to work on such as his kicking.

Chol- Excellent mobility and skills for a big guy, but still a long way to go in other areas as you would expect.

Marcon- Coming in as one of the better VFL players over the last few seasons he's done what you would expect and put a pretty solid foot forward, would be near the front of the pack in getting that rookie upgrade we have available you would have thought.

Sier - almost completed 5kms without stopping for a breather

Phillips - cut himself shaving and will miss pre- season

Wills - didn't realise he was drafted. Was notified last week and just joined the group

Crocker - disappointed he was drafted 68 and not 69. Had his gags all ready to go. Very flexible by all reports

Callum Mills

"I still don't know what position he'll play because he's a freak of nature and can play anywhere you put him," Laidler said.

"He's a pretty skillful young fellow and has been training really well.

"He's a good learner and a good listener, so I suppose if you chuck him on the wing or at half-back he'll just accept that and play a role for you.

"He speaks up in meetings which we love and always asks questions and is always looking to improve.

"He's one who'll definitely put his hand up for round one."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-...re-swans-youngster-a-serious-round-one-chance

Very impressed with Darcy Tucker. One of those tidy, organised looking players that look like they can just step up and not put a foot wrong.
Big queue forming at Freo with the 1-3 year players for a guernsey but I wouldn't be totally surprised to see him get a start off half back at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wagner seems to be the most highly praised of the new draftees by the club and his team mates. Acquitted himself very well in the match vs Werribee on Saturday, as did Clarke and Mountford. Hibberd played in defence so didn't see much action in the thrashing of the Werribee side that included their development players but apparently used the ball well. All four of them could potentially make their debuts this year, Hibberd being the least likely at this point.
McKay didn't play but has been impressing in training with his marking, skills and strength. Still a few years off being much use to us but will become an extremely strong bloke and here's hoping, a centre half forward.

Very impressed with Darcy Tucker. One of those tidy, organised looking players that look like they can just step up and not put a foot wrong.
Big queue forming at Freo with the 1-3 year players for a guernsey but I wouldn't be totally surprised to see him get a start off half back at some point.

I hope they can take a number and a seat because they will be waiting for a while.

Lyon had little young talent coming thru at St Kilda ftr

Not a perfect coach re youth development by any means

But not as bad as his reputation

Just ask Lachie Neale or Michael Walters, not to mention Sutcliffe, etc.

Freo should stay top 6 at least next 4 years or so. Higher if they can grab McArthy

Notes from Todays intraclub
Jade Gresham - was a standout today , had plenty of time and used the ball well
Nick couglan - played a solid game in defence
Brandon White - excellent kick off the footy got it a few times
Nick o'kearney - done some good things but needs to add some bulk

There's a suggestion floating around that some draft experts rated Gresham equal to Darcy Parish, rightly or wrongly.

If true, that would mean the club effectively traded pick 25 for Jake Carlisle.

Obviously plenty of water to go under the bridge on that one.

There's a suggestion floating around that some draft experts rated Gresham equal to Darcy Parish, rightly or wrongly.

If true, that would mean the club effectively traded pick 25 for Jake Carlisle.
Obviously plenty of water to go under the bridge on that one.

There's another suggesting floating around that 18 teams with their hosts of experts, didn't feel that way.

EDIT: Sorry, I got mixed up with O'Kearney. Gresham is a beauty............although your logic, maybe not so much :)

There's another suggesting floating around that 18 teams with their hosts of experts, didn't feel that way.

EDIT: Sorry, I got mixed up with O'Kearney. Gresham is a beauty............although your logic, maybe not so much :)

Haha, was about to have a big serve back at you.

I'm only going on youtube. Gresham finds plenty of the ball. Parish obviously very polished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back