Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver is a natural accumulator, arguably close to the best in the league behind Mitchell.

It is one of RCD’s biggest knocks. Guys that don’t win large amounts of the ball in juniors rarely transition to massive ball winners after the step up.
For Chrissakes, I'm talking stylistically, which should have been obvious. Besides...
He averaged 21 disposals a game in the TAC Cup finals
21.67 to be precise. As opposed to Oliver's 21.5 in the TAC Cup finals in his draft year.

Shame he can't get the ball like Stocker or use it, will be delisted in 5 years unlike Stocker.
Atta boy, put your balls on the line, even if it is with a burner account.

Add at least another 4 onto that.
How about never? Is never good for you?

For Chrissakes, I'm talking stylistically, which should have been obvious. Besides...

21.67 to be precise. As opposed to Oliver's 21.5 in the TAC Cup finals in his draft year.

Lets ignore the fact Oliver averaged 24 touches a game, twice as many tackles etc for the regular of the season, won the Morrish Medal, despite being an overweight keg for the first 1/4 of the season.

RCD averaged 18 touches a game and around half the amount of tackles.

Oliver as a contested ball winner is in a different stratosphere and even was as a junior.

"Stylistically" what does that even mean?

Their game styles aren't very similar at all as evidenced by the stats, if you mean physically, well RCD is already 2-3" taller and around 6kg's heavier as just a new draftee.

I don't know why anyone would try and compare their young mid with zero experience to Oliver. His development curve and impact at AFL level from a young age is almost unheard of.
Well I think going hard early, either way, on any player is just asking for trouble. For all we know, RCD is the GOAT like that Tigers fan is claiming. He could also be a complete spud.

Oliver is a natural accumulator, arguably close to the best in the league behind Mitchell.

It is one of RCD’s biggest knocks. Guys that don’t win large amounts of the ball in juniors rarely transition to massive ball winners after the step up.
It does happen though, Bontempelli is a good example of it and I think it's a similar situation with RCD.

Bontempelli didn't win a lot of footy in his U18 years, that was the main knock on him. He was rated highly because of his freakish traits and scope for improvement. He stepped up to AFL level instantly and racked up better numbers in his first year in the AFL than what he did in the U18 champs.

It does happen though, Bontempelli is a good example of it and I think it's a similar situation with RCD.

Bontempelli didn't win a lot of footy in his U18 years, that was the main knock on him. He was rated highly because of his freakish traits and scope for improvement. He stepped up to AFL level instantly and racked up better numbers in his first year in the AFL than what he did in the U18 champs.

So we've gone from Oliver to Bontempelli....

Are you also forgetting the fact that RCD was taken pick 20, not pick 4 like the other two? They aren't alike because their performances weren't alike. Their draft position is enough to tell you about their respective u/18 years.

He wasn't just rated highly for his "freakish traits" and ""scope for improvement", despite the narrative, he had serious runs on the board.

He switched to inside mid after the champs and was BOG in 4 out of the next 6 games then went on to averaged just under 25 touches a game in the TAC Cup finals. He averaged 24 touches a game, 1.8 goals a game, 4.7 clearances and 5.8 inside 50's following that switch into the center square following the U/18 nationals.

He also played the school football year for Marcellin in the AGSV, so only played 11 TAC Cup games, including finals. After that switch to the centre square he had a 40 disposal 10 goal game for Marcellin in the AGSV.....

The only reason Bontempelli averages the same amount of touches a game as RCD is because he only played about 6 games in the midfield in his top age TAC Cup season.

Just let RCD be his own player without lumping him together with Bontempelli, Cripps and Oliver. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

So we've gone from Oliver to Bontempelli....

Are you also forgetting the fact that RCD was taken pick 20, not pick 4 like the other two? They aren't alike because their performances weren't alike. Their draft position is enough to tell you about their respective u/18 years.

He wasn't just rated highly for his "freakish traits" and ""scope for improvement", despite the narrative, he had serious runs on the board.

He switched to inside mid after the champs and was BOG in 4 out of the next 6 games then went on to averaged just under 25 touches a game in the TAC Cup finals. He averaged 24 touches a game, 1.8 goals a game, 4.7 clearances and 5.8 inside 50's following that switch into the center square following the U/18 nationals.

He also played the school football year for Marcellin in the AGSV, so only played 11 TAC Cup games, including finals. After that switch to the centre square he had a 40 disposal 10 goal game for Marcellin in the AGSV.....

The only reason Bontempelli averages the same amount of touches a game as RCD is because he only played about 6 games in the midfield in his top age TAC Cup season.

Just let RCD be his own player without lumping him together with Bontempelli, Cripps and Oliver. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.
I am not comparing RCD to anyone as a player. I didn't once mention Cripps or Oliver.

I am saying that low stats at under 18 levels doesn't always mean they won't improve in that area. Bontempelli had a lot of quiet games in his draft year, especially at the U18 champs. I see RCD in a similar situation with loads of natural talent and huge scope for improvement.

I am not saying they are similar players, they are far from it. Just in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Lets ignore the fact Oliver averaged 24 touches a game, twice as many tackles etc for the regular of the season, won the Morrish Medal, despite being an overweight keg for the first 1/4 of the season.

RCD averaged 18 touches a game and around half the amount of tackles.

Oliver as a contested ball winner is in a different stratosphere and even was as a junior.

"Stylistically" what does that even mean?

Their game styles aren't very similar at all as evidenced by the stats, if you mean physically, well RCD is already 2-3" taller and around 6kg's heavier as just a new draftee.
What does stylistically mean??? Even though I laid out what I meant by it? Even though if you know what the word 'style' means, you should be able to work out what 'stylistically' means?

You seem to be confusing 'stylistically' with 'statistically'. According your logic, Allan Border and Viv Richards were 'stylistically' similar because they had the same batting average.

Sparrow: Played the second half v Pies, they sent him to Treloar, he missed a couple of tackles but had a few touches and showed a good work rate around the ground. Hard to see him playing early in the season but probably gets a chance at some stage.

Jordon: settling in, looks comfortable but a development player

Nietschke: Did his ACL the poor guy

Hore: Played the full game against the Pies and looked ok at the level, expect he players round 1 but not a lock just yet

Bedford: same as Jordon

Chandler: I like the look of this kid, not in any hurry to get a game but I'm keen to see him at Casey

Corey Wagner: did well against the Pies, not out of contention for a round 1 game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m liking the Eagles stockpile of tall forwards.

Allen looked great last night and with Brander, look to be good cover for Kennedy/Darling. Bailey Williams has a couple of year to build up strength and endurance before he needs to be called upon. They are in a great spot list wise.

Francis Watson
Not a new draftee 23 year old mature player WCE got from NGA a couple of years ago
He has finally got some size on his skinny frame, and is playing a lot more physical brand of footy
Is playing really good footy and should debut early in the season in 2019
He is exciting to watch

Francis Watson
Not a new draftee 23 year old mature player WCE got from NGA a couple of years ago
He has finally got some size on his skinny frame, and is playing a lot more physical brand of footy
Is playing really good footy and should debut early in the season in 2019
He is exciting to watch
Looks a really good prospect. WCE are brilliant at stockpiling KPPs.
Will he replace Kennedy early rounds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back