Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

KeilorUnder9s

Benclank01 Disciple
Nov 25, 2010
Jamestown
AFL Club
Richmond
So we've gone from Oliver to Bontempelli....

Are you also forgetting the fact that RCD was taken pick 20, not pick 4 like the other two? They aren't alike because their performances weren't alike. Their draft position is enough to tell you about their respective u/18 years.

He wasn't just rated highly for his "freakish traits" and ""scope for improvement", despite the narrative, he had serious runs on the board.

He switched to inside mid after the champs and was BOG in 4 out of the next 6 games then went on to averaged just under 25 touches a game in the TAC Cup finals. He averaged 24 touches a game, 1.8 goals a game, 4.7 clearances and 5.8 inside 50's following that switch into the center square following the U/18 nationals.

He also played the school football year for Marcellin in the AGSV, so only played 11 TAC Cup games, including finals. After that switch to the centre square he had a 40 disposal 10 goal game for Marcellin in the AGSV.....

The only reason Bontempelli averages the same amount of touches a game as RCD is because he only played about 6 games in the midfield in his top age TAC Cup season.

Just let RCD be his own player without lumping him together with Bontempelli, Cripps and Oliver. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Agreed 100%, well said and factual

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
The RCD "debate" in here is definitely getting bumped in 5 years one way or the other. Should be good.

it will be interesting to track

19 Liam Stocker
20 Riley Collier-Dawkins

more so considering Carlton traded their first future pick, at that point in the draft with RCD on the board

So we've gone from Oliver to Bontempelli....

Are you also forgetting the fact that RCD was taken pick 20, not pick 4 like the other two? They aren't alike because their performances weren't alike. Their draft position is enough to tell you about their respective u/18 years.

He wasn't just rated highly for his "freakish traits" and ""scope for improvement", despite the narrative, he had serious runs on the board.

He switched to inside mid after the champs and was BOG in 4 out of the next 6 games then went on to averaged just under 25 touches a game in the TAC Cup finals. He averaged 24 touches a game, 1.8 goals a game, 4.7 clearances and 5.8 inside 50's following that switch into the center square following the U/18 nationals.

He also played the school football year for Marcellin in the AGSV, so only played 11 TAC Cup games, including finals. After that switch to the centre square he had a 40 disposal 10 goal game for Marcellin in the AGSV.....

The only reason Bontempelli averages the same amount of touches a game as RCD is because he only played about 6 games in the midfield in his top age TAC Cup season.

Just let RCD be his own player without lumping him together with Bontempelli, Cripps and Oliver. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Bontempelli, Cripps, Oliver & Fyfe was pick 20, like RCD. Another one he has been compared to in a best case scenario. The tigers can afford to take a allegedly non safe bet given the state of the list. The upside of RCD mixed in with the current midfield if pretty tantalizing if it comes off.

"setting yourself up for disappointment" sounds a bit dramatic

Last edited:

McCraeBF

All Australian
Dec 23, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Funny watching everyone get exited about the kids.

Walsh is a jet as is Rankine but the bulldogs have a gem.
Inter club practice match played 3 quarters and had it 35 times.
Sunday played 1 and a half quarters and had it 12 times and kicked a goal in shocking conditions.

Watch Sunday when they let him loose on a wing in Ballarat everyone will be going crazy about him 33-1 for rising star get on.

Funny watching everyone get exited about the kids.

Walsh is a jet as is Rankine but the bulldogs have a gem.
Inter club practice match played 3 quarters and had it 35 times.
Sunday played 1 and a half quarters and had it 12 times and kicked a goal in shocking conditions.

Watch Sunday when they let him loose on a wing in Ballarat everyone will be going crazy about him 33-1 for rising star get on.

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Reckon those sorts of stats will be the average for Ross when he ends up developing. A reliable second tier mid good for 150-200 games.
Kid did well for his 1st hit out with 21 touches and 11 being contested against a midfield consisting of Oliver,Patracca,Brayshaw
going at 76% DE and 59% game time

If he has another good game Ross could be a smokey to debut Rnd 1

it will be interesting to track

19 Liam Stocker
20 Riley Collier-Dawkins

more so considering Carlton traded their first future pick, at that point in the draft with RCD on the board

Why will it be interesting to track that any more than any picks?
Why not Rozee and Ben King? Jones vs Caldwell? Hately vs Clark.....one can go on.

If you are stuck on that trade for some reason, Carlton have Cripps and had just taken on Setterfield.
Sort of topped out on those 190cm+ mids.

Why will it be interesting to track that any more than any picks?
Why not Rozee and Ben King? Jones vs Caldwell? Hately vs Clark.....one can go on.

If you are stuck on that trade for some reason, Carlton have Cripps and had just taken on Setterfield.
Sort of topped out on those 190cm+ mids.

I wish everyone would get it through their heads that this was a win-win trade. Setterfield is a number 5 pick (former). Both clubs got what they want. When you are talking picks 12+ you get differences in clubs thinking. Some had Stocker higher, some didn’t. Some had RCD higher, some didn’t. Just let the kids develop. All clubs have very good kids.

I wish everyone would get it through their heads that this was a win-win trade.

Hello and welcome to BigFooty, you must be new around here.

Every trade must have a winner and a loser.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hello and welcome to BigFooty, you must be new around here.

Every trade must have a winner and a loser.

That is probably a question for its own thread but your comment left me wondering, what were the most famous trades where both clubs ended up being winners?

Nowhere near the most famous but I would say both Sydney and West Coast did well out of the Jetta/Sinclair deal.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That is probably a question for its own thread but your comment left me wondering, what were the most famous trades where both clubs ended up being winners?

Nowhere near the most famous but I would say both Sydney and West Coast did well out of the Jetta/Sinclair deal.

Kennedy for Judd benefitted both sides pretty well I would have thought.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
The point about Smith and Hodge makes me wonder.

How many players have played alongside uncle and nephew?

Adam Houlihan was on the list at Geelong with Gary Ablett Senior and on the list at Richmond with Shane Tuck.

Gerarrd Bennett and Leigh Brockman were on the list at Geelong with Gary Ablett Senior and played at Sydney with Luke Ablett.

Not quite!

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
For a mature age recruit Darcy fort has looked horrendous. Most of our newly drafted players struggled to step up in the VFL game with the exception of perhaps of brownless.

Yeah I don’t get it either. Out of this whole first ever live trade thingy, probably the least interesting aspect is how RCD turns out. Out of other players drafted around pick 19, I’m far more interested Duursma myself.

It's just the method of the poster I find odd.
Carlton traded in for the pick 19 to get one player and one player only. His name is Stocker.

Suggesting that it should have then used that pick for a player they didn't rate as high, makes no sense at all. Why would you do that?

That's a very seperate argument as to whether the CFC did the right thing or not. Completely seperate.

Back