Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

And as I said, that’s probably where it starts and stops, as a point of interest for Richmond fans. The rest of us don’t really give a crap, which is usually how it goes for pick 19’s and 20’s.

Furthermore in regards to the question why is Stocker interesting; apart from the reasons already listed. SOS and his crew reaction on draft day with the jumping and fist pumping was fairly attention drawing.

Sticks in the mind. Like Dustys father sitting next to his kid during the draft

No they weren't, at least not the 5 you are thinking of.

The top 5 (Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Tambling, Franklin) weren't actually the top 5 rated players at the time of their draft in 2004..............

Mitch Morton, Jesse Smith and Travis Cloke were all F/S picks in 2004.

Morton and Smith were both top 5 locks in 2004 if they weren't F/S picks, most had them in the top 3. Morton was an absolute star junior who was considered close to the no.1 pick and Jesse Smith was the Larke Medalist in 2004. Cloke more than likely would of been picked ahead of Tom Williams.

Franklin wouldn't of been picked in the top 5 in a current points system draft in 2004 based on where the players were rated leading into that draft.

This is what the 2004 top 10 was more like leading into that draft:

Deledio, Morton, Smith, Roughead, Griffen, Tambling, Franklin, Cloke, Williams, Lewis.

Your right about the f/s kids being highly rated, however iirc Buddy was always very highly thought about and people were saying he is a good chance at pick 1. There were 'attitude problems' that were a negative but on ability he was well capable of turning out a beast like he has been.

Furthermore in regards to the question why is Stocker interesting; apart from the reasons already listed. SOS and his crew reaction on draft day with the jumping and fist pumping was fairly attention drawing.

Sure. The Stocker trade has a lot of interesting elements. I’m just saying that one of the least interesting of those is what happens with the guy taken at pick 20, except to perhaps supporters of that club, which is you.

Sure. The Stocker trade has a lot of interesting elements. I’m just saying that one of the least interesting of those is what happens with the guy taken at pick 20, except to perhaps supporters of that club, which is you.
Yup.
If Carlton had pick 19 without trading and took him there it wouldn’t have been news.

The trade involving their future first rounder adds intrigue as well as Bolton bragging they just picked up the kid they rated at 6 in the draft. That’s what makes the trade and pick interesting and exactly why the afl introduced live trading.

We all know how the AFL works.
Walsh will play one decent game R1 followed by 20 forgettables and still win the RS.

:rolleyes:

Provide an example where this has occurred in the past or this is just the usual chip-on-shoulder AFL-bashing shitposting.

Provide an example where this has occurred in the past or this is just the usual chip-on-shoulder AFL-bashing shitposting.

McGrath winning over SPP is along this line, Although he certainly played more than "one good game" but SPP was a best 22 inside mid in a side that made finals, second for broken tackles only behind the Brownlow medal winner, 16 goals (and some rather good ones, like in his first game) and freed up Gray to play more forward, he was more deserving of the rising star. What SPP did was a far harder role to play then being a half back flanker, a role numerous mids start off in whilst the develop the ability to be a mid. McGrath said at the end of the year something along the lines of "in time he'd like to get a shot as an inside mid" well SPP was already good enough to be doing that in his first year. Had he played for a big Vic club, he'd of won it.

I disagree with the choices from 2012 to 2017.
I think the voting system is a joke and is based more on media hype than an actual year's worth of work.

McGrath winning over SPP is along this line, Although he certainly played more than "one good game" but SPP was a best 22 inside mid in a side that made finals, second for broken tackles only behind the Brownlow medal winner, 16 goals (and some rather good ones, like in his first game) and freed up Gray to play more forward, he was more deserving of the rising star. What SPP did was a far harder role to play then being a half back flanker, a role numerous mids start off in whilst the develop the ability to be a mid. McGrath said at the end of the year something along the lines of "in time he'd like to get a shot as an inside mid" well SPP was already good enough to be doing that in his first year. Had he played for a big Vic club, he'd of won it.
SPP is one of the worse kick of a football I have seen at AFL. You could argue that Burton could have won it maybe but not SPP.

SPP is one of the worse kick of a football I have seen at AFL. You could argue that Burton could have won it maybe but not SPP.

Watch him closer, he has a tendency to do too much in close and take to much on then shanks the kick, needs to get the balance right. He has a very powerful low penetrating kick and generally a good shot at goal.

I think you're underselling McGrath's role. He didn't play as an unaccountable HBF he regularly took the opposition's dangerous small forward into and beat them.

Champion Data had him as the best defender in the competition at holding a player to below their expected output which is a pretty impressive stat imo.

Given how many interstate players have won the rising star it's hard to take the Vic bias argument seriously although their may be a high draft pick bias.

I think you're underselling McGrath's role. He didn't play as an unaccountable HBF he regularly took the opposition's dangerous small forward into and beat them.

Champion Data had him as the best defender in the competition at holding a player to below their expected output which is a pretty impressive stat imo.

Given how many interstate players have won the rising star it's hard to take the Vic bias argument seriously although their may be a high draft pick bias.

Don’t get me wrong, he was certainly very very deserving of being in the top 3, more so pointing out I think SPP was grossly underrated.

They vic bias certainly exists in the media, from memory the only person that I recall not having it a 2 horse race was Gerard Whately in AFL360, perhaps the bia is overstated amounts the judges but I do question how much of his footy the judges actually saw, the two non vic judges both had him first where as one vic judge had him 2nd of the other 4 2 had him 3rd the other 2 4th.

Coincidence maybe, but I’m not sure.

Don’t get me wrong, he was certainly very very deserving of being in the top 3, more so pointing out I think SPP was grossly underrated.

They vic bias certainly exists in the media, from memory the only person that I recall not having it a 2 horse race was Gerard Whately in AFL360, perhaps the bia is overstated amounts the judges but I do question how much of his footy the judges actually saw, the two non vic judges both had him first where as one vic judge had him 2nd of the other 4 2 had him 3rd the other 2 4th.

Will definitely agree that these awards are trash and the media has no clue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was highly impressed by Powell-Pepper's achievements in his first year but to claim corruption because he didn't win the Rising Star in a three horse race is ludicrous. His momentum definitely slowed in the second half (which is understandable for a first year midfielder). McGrath and Burton also had good seasons, personally at the time I felt Burton would have taken it out due to a couple of high profile performances but really all three were in a similar ballpark. It's never clear cut comparing three footballers who all play a very contrasting style.

I was highly impressed by Powell-Pepper's achievements in his first year but to claim corruption because he didn't win the Rising Star in a three horse race is ludicrous. His momentum definitely slowed in the second half (which is understandable for a first year midfielder). McGrath and Burton also had good seasons, personally at the time I felt Burton would have taken it out due to a couple of high profile performances but really all three were in a similar ballpark. It's never clear cut comparing three footballers who all play a very contrasting style.

Its the gap between them thats most ridiculous, i never said corruption either, although interesting though, all the non vic judges had him first all but 1 of the vic judges had him 3 or 4th out of 5. Coincidence maybe, but does go to show that the my post (that what you quoted) was responding to may not have been so ridiculous.

Further more i was responding directly to a poster suggesting it, i was simply highlighting an example of they may have been referring to. TBH as far as the vic media was concerned it was only a two horse race, which clearly it shouldn't have been.

David King picked Sam Walsh for the rising star and history shows he has a good record of picking the winners in this category.

The number 1 draft pick usually has all the politics & media PR machine on their side for starters.

Take McGrath winning over Burton, after Burton clearly had the superior season by nearly all discernible measures.....And not A single judge awarding him the maximum votes, stunk to high-heaven of organised politics.

Will Golds has been the stand-out for the Hawks new draftees, had a great JLT1 with 25 poss a goal denied by Sicily on the goal square and generally buzzing around the ground, good DE, he didnt play JLT2 but starred for Box Hill in a VFL praccie match, bit skinny but as an outside mid he just looks like the step up seems easy for him.

Damon Greaves also had a good game in JLT1 and starred for Box Hill instead of JLT2, physically ready and a defender who puts his body on the line.

Mat Walker had some highlight worthy moments, 1 where he took a strong pack mark 15m out in front of goal, he has a good set of mitts and for a medium forw can take a strong contested mark, atm he is more impact forw than mid

Jacob Koschitzke is injured, but he is a solid lump of a KPD.

Mat Walkers mark

Yeah that damn Vic bias that has seen an interstate player win the vast majority of recent rising stars...

The number 1 draft pick usually has all the politics & media PR machine on their side for starters.

Take McGrath winning over Burton, after Burton clearly had the superior season by nearly all discernible measures.....And not A single judge awarding him the maximum votes, stunk to high-heaven of organised politics.
What organised politics? By whom? And why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back