Unofficial Preview Early thoughts vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who will be tagging Mitch?
If Cunningham plays I want him to keep taking the game on, he is a beautiful kick on the run. If not, Florent comes in and has a breakout game.

Who will be tagging Mitch?
If Cunningham plays I want him to keep taking the game on, he is a beautiful kick on the run. If not, Florent comes in and has a breakout game.
Collingwood chose not to tag Titch and just let him rack up the possies. Don't mind that tactic to be honest, otherwise just keep Kennedy close to him. No way he'll be able to outplay Kennedy

the secret to beating Hawthorn is your ability to get the ball and use it well. Our mids must win more clearances than we have been. That is probably the most disappointing part of our team game. We don't win enough clearances and start our attacks from the centre bounces or stoppages. We tend to defend and then attack. This is a very energy consuming type of footy. We need to learn to be stronger at the footy at stoppages and centre bounces. Funnily enough we talk about this inability to win clearances as a new thing but in reality we have been behind in this area for a while now.

If Harry doesn't come up I'm happy to have Dawson come in and play mids. A hard, strong, 191cm mid might just make the difference. his ability to go forward and take a contested mark can't be discounted as well. He brings a lot to the table if we use him well, unlike his first outing where his leads were totally ignored by our senior players. Speaking of that, what is it with them. First Lloydy comes in is so far on his own all day he must have had leprosy and gets ignored. There are some players who really need to think about what makes team here. We played as a team yesterday and won very well. we still go to Bud far too often but...

I still think our forwards need to spread more. Too many times Tippett, Reid and others were all flying for the same ball and the reason they had to do that is because they were all inhabiting the same space and there was nobody to kick to on the lead except Saints players. If we had spread more I think we could have kicked 10 more goals. Funnily enough Lethal thought so too.

Hawks are on the ropes and there is nothing more dangerous than a wounded Hawk. But in saying that I think we have the team now to punish them because they are rebuilding, they have major injuries and are down on confidence. Time to really find out what our blokes are made of.

Keys to the game: Tag Bitchell --> Win game. He's their entire mid... Eh team at the moment. There's two ways we can do this, the team tag which is what we did against geelong's Dangerfield last year down at Kardinia or we put a hard tag on him, I'd say Parker for that role. Either way is fine.

Buddy will have a field day here. Genuinely expecting 10+ goals from him.

Last edited:
Keys to the game: Tag Bitchell --> Win game. He's their entire mid... Eh team at the moment. There's two ways we can do this, the team tag which is what we did against geelong's Dangerfield last year down in Kardinia or we put a hard tag on him, I'd say Parker for that role. Either way is fine.

Buddy will have a field day here. Genuinely expecting 10+ goals from him.
Surely Parker is playing too well right now to lock into a tag. Hewett is Tom's natural replacement, he should take him on.

Surely Parker is playing too well right now to lock into a tag. Hewett is Tom's natural replacement, he should take him on.
Parker isn't playing as well as he can be. Certainly not by the standards he holds himself to. This will only help his game as well, Bitchell isn't fast so he doesn't have a problem there and he can hurt Bitchell going the other way too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the secret to beating Hawthorn is your ability to get the ball and use it well. Our mids must win more clearances than we have been. That is probably the most disappointing part of our team game. We don't win enough clearances and start our attacks from the centre bounces or stoppages. We tend to defend and then attack. This is a very energy consuming type of footy. We need to learn to be stronger at the footy at stoppages and centre bounces. Funnily enough we talk about this inability to win clearances as a new thing but in reality we have been behind in this area for a while now.

If Harry doesn't come up I'm happy to have Dawson come in and play mids. A hard, strong, 191cm mid might just make the difference. his ability to go forward and take a contested mark can't be discounted as well. He brings a lot to the table if we use him well, unlike his first outing where his leads were totally ignored by our senior players. Speaking of that, what is it with them. First Lloydy comes in is so far on his own all day he must have had leprosy and gets ignored. There are some players who really need to think about what makes team here. We played as a team yesterday and won very well. we still go to Bud far too often but...

I still think our forwards need to spread more. Too many times Tippett, Reid and others were all flying for the same ball and the reason they had to do that is because they were all inhabiting the same space and there was nobody to kick to on the lead except Saints players. If we had spread more I think we could have kicked 10 more goals. Funnily enough Lethal thought so too.

Hawks are on the ropes and there is nothing more dangerous than a wounded Hawk. But in saying that I think we have the team now to punish them because they are rebuilding, they have major injuries and are down on confidence. Time to really find out what our blokes are made of.

Agree with the majority of your post but Franklin is to blame as well calls/pleads for the ball in ridiculous situations at times i know he is a superstar but he has limitations as well.

Perhaps he sees himself as a leader and is trying to hard to impose himself onto a game.

I'm just glad we'll be on FTA in Melbourne after quite a few weeks off it.

Agree with the majority of your post but Franklin is to blame as well calls/pleads for the ball in ridiculous situations at times i know he is a superstar but he has limitations as well.

Perhaps he sees himself as a leader and is trying to hard to impose himself onto a game.
Selfishly led his man towards Cunningham? yesterday while calling for the ball at one stage. The team play would have been to run toward goal and force his defender to choose who to go with. Fortunately we still got the goal.

If we're gonna tag anyone, I reckon we go Hartung or Isaac Smith. They're soft-weather to begin with so if we shut their ability to release down they are a very ordinary team, we will look like the Jamaican track team at the Olympics compared to them. Nick Smith having a blinder on Bruest and Jones smashing that weak Puopolo maggot will go a long way too

No changes unless Cunningham is out, which looks likely. If he is out, best performed should come in which is Dawson who was the emergency last week or Florent who is more like for like. Neither Jack or McVeigh should waltz back in if fit, they should come back through reserves and find some touch first.

We need to bring the physical aggression of the last few weeks and we're a very good chance, been found wanting in that area a few times against Hawthorn and no doubt they'll try it on again this time to.
They still have a reasonably good forward line on paper if it gets down there...so the midfield needs to be on there game, on paper but there should be absolutely no way we should be getting smashed in the clearances by theirs....but our stoppage setup at centre clearances does break down too often, even in a lot of the convincing wins and/or against inferior (on paper) midfields.

Can just see the Hawks suddenly finding their mojo, so we need to be at our best. This is 100% must win if we're to make the 8, having the Tigers and Bulldogs to come.

A big game from Tippett would be very helpful.

Have you seen their outs? No chance, they are dreadful and we should obliterate them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back