Early winners and losers of trade period / free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullshit.

Food for thought, this is what the Top 4 Clubs of 2018 did in October 2017.

Richmond IN: #20, #25
West Coast IN: Brendan Ah Chee, #21, #26, #37, GC 2nd, HAW 4th
Collingwood IN: Sam Murray, #70, SYD 3rd
Hawthorn IN: Jarman Impey, #67

It would be interesting to do the same for these four clubs for the last four years.

Freo got some good picks, but losing Lachie Neale will hurt them. That bloke was their best player in my opinion. But it will open up opportunities for others at the same time. The only concern is Lobb has played 70 odd games, but missed 24 with injury. And Hogan doesnt exactly have a great track record with injury either. Still anything is better than Kirsten and McCarthy. Ross hasn't got any excuses now. I think a fit Hogan will really square them up, a huge talent.

Richmond the clear winner - The best player to move this trade period went to Richmond who were flag favourites all year until a bad game in the finals.
Collingwood second - Beams amazing get but the addition of Roughead will be huge for them, he's no gun but will improve their structure and depth.
Melbourne - Really rate May, that backline will be amazing next year.

That is my top 3, a few other clubs did well like Brisbane and Fremantle but also lost a bit. Hawks are hard to rate, I think they got a steal with Scully but on the same token I think the Burton for Wingard deal will come back to bite them big time. I rate Burton highly and am still amazed they coughed him up so easy.

I don't think there were any big "losers", most clubs got what they needed including GWS who cleared cap space and got picks.

Carltons logic of hoarding picks and not using them to trade for elite players is bordering on madness. You should offered the Dons Pick 1 for Shiel. A proven blue chip AFL player.

Since the start of this century, the Blues have played what, 3 finals series and in each one had no chance of every winning the flag. wow, just wow.

Great strategy you guys have.
HUH? Shiel chose Essendon. Even if we offered Patty Cripps, GWS would still have traded him to Essendon because that was his choice.

We gave away basically all our picks apart Pick 1 and also traded away future 2nd and was offering Future 1st throughout. In fact Pick 1 is still up for grabs.

Carlton has a new strategy only started 3 years ago, when Malthouse got the sack, Bolton was appointed and SOS joined. It was a complete reset. That is to go to the draft hard the first 3 years and then try to attract players. We gave it our all to get Shiel, but winning 2 games for the year was not going to do it. Still to gain McGovern and Setterfield in this trade period was great.

We will now pick up Walsh. Hope for natural improvement from our young squad and for the in news do make a difference to show signs of improvement (hoping for say 6 wins) and then maybe go again for an established star with our salary cap space we have available.

FYI Carlton played in finals in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013. We made the Semi in 2011 and 2013. In 2011 we lost the Semi by less than a goal. So we did come closer than a lot of other teams. Having said that, we definitely did not do it right and this is the first time in our history we are trying to build a team for ultimate and sustained success.

Garbage. Dahlhaus was a solid player, hasnt resembled a "gun" for a couple of years now. Not sure he ever has. Capable tackling foot soldier would be more apt.

Roughead was past his use-by-date in our 22. Adams was permanently injured as Brisbane will find out shortly. No loss there.

I'll concede we didnt improve, though Lloyd and Duryea will be handy.
And could it be that Dahlhaus went away with the dogs form? Put him back in a team that is winning 2 in every 3 games and could see the best of him again.

At the end of the day, I rate the three players you lost more than the two players you gained. Plus you made a massive play for Wingard and missed out. I know the feeling with Shiel.

Whilst I wouldn't change anything with the Boyd deal as he won you a flag... you will probably start the feel the pinch with giving an average player such a massive contract.

Adelaide C-
Brisbane B-
Carlton B
Collingwood B+
Essendon A-
Freo A
GC D-
Geelong C
GWS F
Hawks A-
Demons B-
North B+
Port C-
Rich A+
Stk D+
Syd D
WCE B
WB D
Yeah nah. Hawks is a C. Burton becomes the player he is capable of and it would be downgraded to an F.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North did well. Got in some very handy players.
Melbourne lost a gun key forward but gained some very solid defenders.
Richmond got a gun FF for nix and only lost Conca and Lloyd. A big win.
Freo, on paper, did very well but they will need to sacrifice a few bulls to appease the Injury God.

Gold Coast had a dog of a trade period.

The acquisition of May and Lever over the past two years has really bolstered Melbourne all over the field.

Hogan's a loss, sure. But Tom McDonald is more than a challenge for most defenders and Wiedeman is only going to get better, has plenty of time to do so too.

Carltons logic of hoarding picks and not using them to trade for elite players is bordering on madness. You should offered the Dons Pick 1 for Shiel. A proven blue chip AFL player.

You are being silly just for the sake of it there.

#1 is worth plenty this year, you know it and so does everyone else. It was always stated that for us to trade that pick, it would need to be a "godfather" offer and clearly no club made such an offer.

And why should we have offered the Dons #1 for Shiel when he was coming from GWS anyway ?? :think:

No Carlton ITK posters announced we had managed to sign Shiel.

Their intel was that we’d signed McGovern - this is before he’d nominated us, that we were chasing Setterfield - which crystallised into him nominating us - and that were confident of signing Shiel, which I don’t doubt we were until Essendon upper their offer.

Think melb have really put alot of faith in weiderman. Hogan is a top forward when not injured.

But I think they got great value for him leaving. Really like their list build over the last few years.

Hogan still hasn't "proven" himself on a consistent basis, therefore, Weideman is in front of him after some solid games in the finals. The other thing that is a concern (for me anyway) is that Hogan plays like a spoilt brat at times, he virtually gives up if the ball isn't delivered via silver service to him.

The Dees have done the right thing here by trading him out, Freo need a key forward like him and fingers crossed, the change of scenery is the kick up the bum he needs to fulfil his undoubted potential.

No Carlton ITK posters announced we had managed to sign Shiel.

Their intel was that we’d signed McGovern - this is before he’d nominated us, that we were chasing Setterfield - which crystallised into him nominating us - and that were confident of signing Shiel, which I don’t doubt we were until Essendon upper their offer.

What a load of bollocks ……….

I would logout of BF every day so I could read the Blumour thread on the Blues board, all I ever saw were posters frothing every day about his imminent arrival.

It wasn't until the Bombers bobbed up late in the piece that expectations were diluted.

You are being silly just for the sake of it there.

#1 is worth plenty this year, you know it and so does everyone else. It was always stated that for us to trade that pick, it would need to be a "godfather" offer and clearly no club made such an offer.

And why should we have offered the Dons #1 for Shiel when he was coming from GWS anyway ?? :think:

Ok for starters, I meant GWS, my bad. It was an obvious mistake that I didnt recognise when I wrote it.

However with that said, have a look at all your number 1 draft picks over the years. They have had barely average careers.

Most number 1 picks in some cases barely make it into the top 10, when the draft is redone, 4-5 years down the track.

What a load of bollocks ……….

I would logout of BF every day so I could read the Blumour thread on the Blues board, all I ever saw were posters frothing every day about his imminent arrival.

It wasn't until the Bombers bobbed up late in the piece that expectations were diluted.

You’re deadset making things up, which is completely unsurprising given your history of talking s**t and having faulty ‘inside info.’

I dare you to find one post from an ITK poster announcing Shiel had signed.

You’re a fraud, and you know it.

Richmond the clear winner - The best player to move this trade period went to Richmond who were flag favourites all year until a bad game in the finals.
Collingwood second - Beams amazing get but the addition of Roughead will be huge for them, he's no gun but will improve their structure and depth.
Melbourne - Really rate May, that backline will be amazing next year.

That is my top 3, a few other clubs did well like Brisbane and Fremantle but also lost a bit. Hawks are hard to rate, I think they got a steal with Scully but on the same token I think the Burton for Wingard deal will come back to bite them big time. I rate Burton highly and am still amazed they coughed him up so easy.

I don't think there were any big "losers", most clubs got what they needed including GWS who cleared cap space and got picks.

I think you are eight about Roughead to the pies. .Think he will prove a very useful pick up for them

Freo are winners to me.

They maintain a strong position in the draft and have brought in two players in positions that can be very difficult to find quality in.

For all of the justified excitement around Tom Lynch going to Richmond, Fremantle just got themselves two KPFs.

Who are the current winners and losers heading into the draft. Takes the rookies out of it as we don’t know who will be selected but the players and pick numbers in and out.

Winners:
Freo (built a forward line whilst giving up just Neale pretty much and heads into the draft still having quite a few picks)

Richmond (lost some average at best depth and picked up arguably the best forward in the league in his prime)

North (added Polec, Pittard and Hall for pretty much pick 10)

Hawthorn (picked up Scully, Wingard and Scrimshaw giving away their picks and Burton)

Losers:
Bulldogs (missed on Wingard, lose Adams and Roughead for little, didn’t get an English trade done)

GWS (lost Shiel, Scully, Lobb and got nothing in return that would potentially help win a premiership in the next 2-3 years)

Port (lost Wingard, Polec and Pittard)

Lesser extent: Saints and Carlton after missing in Shiel even after offering over 1mil per year.
I think Hawthorn did well to obtain Wingard but at what cost? It’s not just the loss of their one young gun I really rated (Burton), but there’s also the effect on the playing group, and supporters to see him so easily flicked off. You don’t rate Essendon’s trade period above Hawthorn’s? We got in the one type of player we were crying out for and didn’t give up a quality player to get him. Only Colyer goes, in a logical list management decision.

You might think that Scully is a ‘steal’. No player of his ability goes for that sort of trade unless he was a serious chance of being ineffectual as a player going forward. And Scrimshaw, it seems, hasn’t yet got the AFL-required mentality to succeed at the highest level. The Hawks may be able to turn it around but on current evidence he’s not a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back