Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Who are the current winners and losers heading into the draft. Takes the rookies out of it as we don’t know who will be selected but the players and pick numbers in and out.

Winners:
Freo (built a forward line whilst giving up just Neale pretty much and heads into the draft still having quite a few picks)

Richmond (lost some average at best depth and picked up arguably the best forward in the league in his prime)

North (added Polec, Pittard and Hall for pretty much pick 10)

Hawthorn (picked up Scully, Wingard and Scrimshaw giving away their picks and Burton)

Losers:
Bulldogs (missed on Wingard, lose Adams and Roughead for little, didn’t get an English trade done)

GWS (lost Shiel, Scully, Lobb and got nothing in return that would potentially help win a premiership in the next 2-3 years)

Port (lost Wingard, Polec and Pittard)

Lesser extent: Saints and Carlton after missing in Shiel even after offering over 1mil per year.

So rather than focus on the players we did bring in for reasonable value, we lost because a player we were always unlikely to obtain signed with a different club?

Weird logic.

That’s why I said to a lesser extent...

You offered over 1mil per year on a huge deal and arguably overpaid for McGovern who was traded in just on potential for a relatively hefty price.

Also wasted a 4th next year (points these days count) for Newman as he would’ve gone to you as a delisted Free Agent too apparently anyway.

So rather than focus on the players we did bring in for reasonable value, we lost because a player we were always unlikely to obtain signed with a different club?

Weird logic.

The majority of Carlton supporters had him down as a certainty to be at the Blues.

That’s why I said to a lesser extent...

You offered over 1mil per year on a huge deal and arguably overpaid for McGovern who was traded in just on potential for a relatively hefty price.

Also wasted a 4th next year (points these days count) for Newman as he would’ve gone to you as a delisted Free Agent too apparently anyway.

That's far too tenuous. You can also make the argument for any player that gets traded for a token pick they could have gone as a DFA - the reality is Newman is worth more than a future 4th, so we've got good value.

Have a look at the majority of second round selections - the picks we gave up for McGovern average 66 and 48 games respectively, and then McAdam was steak knives.

I don't think we were in the top few performers, but it's ridiculously cynical to say we performed poorly.

Reckon Essendon supporters are shitty because they overpaid slightly for Shiel? s**t no

I thought Port did well out of a bad situation (of their own making). I don't think it will help them much next year, but i don't think they were headed up the ladder anyway. The early picks they got after the exodus of key players means they are serious about a change of course after last years load up of middling wantaway players.

I hope Hawthorns trades of 2018 don't turn out like Ports of 2017... but those are the exciting risks the Hawks seem to take.

The majority of Carlton supporters had him down as a certainty to be at the Blues.

Rubbish.

We got some intel that the club was putting a big offer to Shiel, which naturally caused some excitement, but it's overzealous to suggest we pegged it as a certainty.

The majority of supporters (like most) thought he'd end up at Hawthorn.

I think Carlton did quite well. Got solid/good players for unders. SOS is quite astute to say the least. They'll also get Walsh now too which is a great result.

I think they did well.... but McGovern is not yet proven. If he turns out, then they did very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winners- Freo: Instantly fix their forward problems, now just got to play a more attacking style and will be a mover.
Pies: Grand Finalists and add Beams into the Midfield looks great on paper, will be one to watch.
Dons: Added another Midfielder that will help Merrett get off a bit more. Very talented 22 now! Must win a final.
Tigers: Adding Tom Lynch to an already great team, will have to tweak their game plan, but will be there late in September.

Losers- GWS: Salary Cap dumping will hurt depth.
GCS: Who knows whats going to happen with them.
Others that wouldn't be all that happy with the trade period: Saints, WCE, Dogs, Swans.

That's far too tenuous. You can also make the argument for any player that gets traded for a token pick they could have gone as a DFA - the reality is Newman is worth more than a future 4th, so we've got good value.

Have a look at the majority of second round selections - the picks we gave up for McGovern average 66 and 48 games respectively, and then McAdam was steak knives.

I don't think we were in the top few performers, but it's ridiculously cynical to say we performed poorly.

Reckon Essendon supporters are shitty because they overpaid slightly for Shiel? s**t no

Shiel is a proven gun, McGovern has proven nothing..

Geelong are the biggest losers both list wise and football ethics-wise

Fancy fighting tooth and nail to bring Ablett back home, calling out GCS for not being so willing......
Yet when the shoe is on the other foot, being heartless to the Kelly family.

Disgraceful.
exactly. The double standards at Geelong are staggering. Theyve forced a disgruntled young player to stay in Geelong against his will and need to go home to his family.

God i hope we pump them next season. As reigning premiers im sure we will :thumbsu:

Ae kept gaff
We got hickey
We didn't get Kelly..

However picks 20,22 are handy. Kelly is good but we have a great.PREMIERSHIP WINNING midfield...add gaff is looks pretty sweet

Happy days

Shiel is a proven gun, McGovern has proven nothing..

It's the exact same principle - they needed to give up slightly more for a contracted player they were desperate to get to the club.

Yes we're partly paying on potential, but given what he's shown in his career so far, we've got reason to believe he will be a good addition to our team. He's also in the right age-range for our playing list. We've at least got a read on his AFL form, which takes far less guesswork than evaluating two teenagers with mid-range selections.

Realistically, the trade was the perfect from all angles: Adelaide got the first round pick they requested right from the get go, we got McGovern who we'd targeted from a long way out, and Sydney got a few second rounders to use to obtain Blakey.

exactly. The double standards at Geelong are staggering. Theyve forced a disgruntled young player to stay in Geelong against his will and need to go home to his family.

God i hope we pump them next season. As reigning premiers im sure we will :thumbsu:
Smiles all-round then, no need for such hate-filled posts. Geelong keeps Kelly, WCE keep valuable draft picks, everyone wins! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back