East Fremantle Sharks Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jupp could be out for some time and Tucker to miss a month maybe more. Going to have to find someone KPD

Winton, Bonomelli??

Good opportunity for the likes of youngsters in Davidson, Bailey, Trefy and McGuire to step up mate....all 193cm plus in height.....Winton will go to FB I guess....even with a 6 week lay off Tucker should be right for round 2.....Jupp probably a bit later....also if Teakle doesn't get picked up by Essendon, he is mobile enough to play down back one would think.....options there, just all pretty inexperienced....ex WP boy KPD Mills is there to don't forget.....

It’s full steam ahead at Shark Park as we prepare for April 4th; Round 1 of the 2020 Optus WAFL Season.
The Sharks are delighted to announce to our members and supporters that Paatsch Group have been selected as the consultants to do the Business Plan for the Redevelopment of East Fremantle Oval Precinct. Brad Paatsch has a proven record, having worked on Cockburn Arc including the Fremantle Dockers facility; South Perth Regional Recreation, Aquatic and Education Precinct; and the initial location options for the West Coast Eagles Football Club. Paatsch Group have highlighted the importance of a partnership between the Town of East Fremantle and the community to ensure maximum usage of the precinct and the overall viability, while protecting the interests of each organisation involved. The plan will be completed by the end of June this year.
Improving the club’s physical environment is a huge component of the Sharks new Strategic Plan. Despite our aging facility there are a number of tasks we are undertaking to ensure it’s a great place to come. Over the past two days, our sponsors SV Glass and LM Poole & Co have installed new doors to our gym/ players entry. Entry requires FOB access or code that can be translated to a player’s phone. Thank you to our new sponsors Premiair Aviation for funding this upgrade. Painting of the surround entry will be finalised in the next few weeks.

I thought this was just a memory.

Good Q&A with new recruit Riach on the EF website....looks like he will run off the wing and up forward this year. Griffen injured his hand last week at training, now in a plaster post surgery, so think he will be out of action for a bit, whilst Monaghan junior broke some ribs in the recent intraclub match on Thurs night.

So missing from round one is Jupp, Tucker, Monaghan and Griffen....not the start the club needs, but then gives an opportunity to some youngsters to put their hand up for some league footy...e.g. Davidson, Bailey, McGuire and Trefy up back for Jupp andTucker...Teakle in the ruck for Griffen....or at CHF if Strnadica goes into the ruck....and Bockman, Ryan and Ritchie as a small goal kicking forward for Monaghan.....time will tell I guess.

Football Manager Brad Dodd gives us an update on the squad and how the Sharks are ramping up in anticipation of a 2020 WAFL season start.

Q: The players have been back for 3 weeks now, how have the sessions been structured?

Initially we were allowed to train in groups of 10. We nominated 3 time slots where players could choose to train, with the first group starting at 3pm and the last group starting at 6pm. We weren’t able to use footballs, so the first weeks were just running sessions. This allowed us to build into the restart conservatively. With no set start date and various options on the table, we were mindful of overloading and potentially demotivating the group should the season not start soon.

We had a group of players that had dispersed to their country homes but the rest of the group returned and we were really pleased with the condition they’d managed to keep themselves in. It allows us to hit the ground running once we do get a recommencement date.

This week we were allowed to increase the group sizes to 20. We maintained the 3 session times and training consists of skills and running.

The last time we spoke there were a few players that were doubtful for the start of the season, how are they tracking?

Matthew Jupp needed another operation on his foot to remove a small bone and he was staring down the barrel of a mid season start but he’s rejoined training and will be ready to go for Round 1. Durak Tucker had an ankle issue that would’ve needed an operation at the end of the season, but once we got shut down we managed to get him in, so he should also be ready for the restart. Alex Bray and Zach Jackson were also touch-and-go, but they will now be right to go when we restart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The GFM tally keeps rising, over 78K now, plus an noted increase in memberships...no doubt pushing this initiative towards $100K. It's been great to see so many EF fans and WAFL fans support the club. I guess in an AFL dominated footy world, it's nice to remember the club aaround comp you supported pre WCE and Freo when times are tight financially.

TEAMMATES Jonathan Brown and Simon Black have further stamped Brisbane's early-2000's team as one of the most iconic in history by being inducted to the Australian Football Hall of Fame on Tuesday night.

The smooth-moving Black often made rival midfields stop in their tracks as he effortlessly worked his way through traffic before delivering with his exquisite left foot.

As a 22-year-old in 2001, he claimed the first of back-to-back best and fairests and All-Australian gongs in premiership years.

He will forever be regarded as the equal of any midfielder of his generation and added a Brownlow Medal in 2002 and then Norm Smith Medal 12 months later.

SIMON BLACK – BULLCREEK–LEEMING JFC

A member of Brisbane’s “Fab Four,” Black was one of the premier midfielders of the modern era. He has played the most games ever by a Brisbane Lion with 322 games across 16 seasons. He was a key member of the Lions’ premiership three-peat between 2001 and 2003, highlighted by his 2003 Norm Smith Medal performance against Collingwood (39 possessions – 25 contested – 9 tackles, 9 clearances, 7 inside 50s and a goal). He won the Brownlow Medal in 2002 after he averaged 23 possessions (12 contested), 6 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 5 tackles. He had a further seven top-ten placings in the Brownlow (2001: 9th, 2003: 9th, 2004: 5th, 2006: 10th, 2007: 2nd, 2008: 2nd, 2009: 4th). He also won three Best and Fairest Awards (2001, 2002, 2006) and three All-Australian guernseys (2001, 2002, 2004). He is one of only two players, along with Geelong’s Jimmy Bartel, to have played over 300 games, won a Brownlow Medal and won a Norm Smith Medal.

1591162188960.png

GFM tally at 94K.....support videos from AFL boys in Harry Taylor, Aliir Aliir, Cale Hooker and Paddy Cripps.....EF players shaving their heads for a 10K donation..... membership numbers up from 40% to 65% since COVID.....good to see so many folk supporting the club in some way....EF and opposition fans and players alike. Well done to all concerned.

Simon Black a true champion on and off the footy field....congrats on your selection.....fantastic footy CV there....thanks andana.

North Melbourne GM Football Brady Rawlings penned the following tribute to Hall of Fame inductee Simon Black.

After 13 years in the AFL, mostly as a tagger, I had the privilege of playing on some of the best players in the competition.

Overall, the players I respected most were the ones that didn’t need to go outside the rules or whinge, but just tried to beat me on their merits and prove they were simply a better player.

When I think of those types of players, two recent Hall of Fame inductees come to mind; Simon Black and Lenny Hayes. While they don’t make the top two hardest players I have ever played on, they are certainly two I respect most.

Simon Black was an absolute star and achieved so much from a team and an individual perspective. I got to play on ‘Blacky’ a fair few times. The Brisbane Lions had so many good players and I had to tag several of them including Black, Luke Power, Jason Akermanis and Nigel Lappin.

When I played on Blacky, he never said a word to me. He didn’t need to engage in a slanging match, he would try to beat me by being too hard to play on. I had a night on him at Marvel Stadium once, and managed to keep him very quiet to half time. He was so quiet it was mentioned in our half-time meeting by the coach (I hated it when the coach would do that because I wanted to stay focused, not get pats on the back).

In the third quarter I continued to keep him in check and he went into three-quarter-time with no influence on the game. We were well ahead and well placed to win. But in the last term, it all went awry. He completely got away from me, had run me off my feet, and ended up with more than ten possessions in quick time. Teaming up with Akermanis, he dragged the Lions over the line. The most impressive part was he was playing poorly but kept grinding away until it turned for him. I will always have the upmost respect for Blacky; he worked as hard as anyone and I never heard him sook.

Grand Final will be played on the first weekend in October, with the winner to be awarded the 2020 Optus WAFL Premiership Cup. Individual awards, including the Sandover Medal, will also be presented.

The Optus WAFLW Season fixture is in the final stages of being completed and will be announced shortly.

Quarters will consist of 16 minutes plus time-on to align with current AFL rules.

Thanks Bob

Written by Bob Shields

PERTH Football Club President Bob Shields said with the best of intentions the Club made an inadvertent error, which will see Cody Leggett cleared.

“We’ll deal with it, and be the stronger for it, “ he said today. “We’ll take the transfer fee and get on with winning football games”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back