East Fremantle Sharks Supporters Thread

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looks like everyone gets a say..

Luke English

s2ce5e15afya_429.3333333333333.jpg

1) How have you settled into Shark Park?

I have settled really well into Shark Park. Everyone down at the club is extremely friendly, supportive and are focused to achieve their goals.

2) Where do you see your role this year?

This year I see myself playing through the midfield and drifting half-forward at times. This will play to my strong aerobic capacity and to help me get to as many contests as possible.

3) You spent some time on Richmond’s list, what did you learn from experiencing the AFL environment?
I’m extremely grateful to have spent time on Richmond’s list and to be a part of their club, it has taught me many things. I’ve learnt how the best players in the competition prepare themselves for the season, but one of the biggest take-aways from my time at Richmond is focusing just as much on the mental side of football as the physical. I think that’s how the best players in the competition get an edge on others.

4) Which Sharks have impressed you this preseason?

I have been impressed by Josh Schoenfeld during this pre-season. His running ability is insane and he makes very good decisions when he has the ball in hand. I’m also impressed by Milan Murdock. He’s also got a great running ability and I like how he is always laying a big tackle or applying pressure around the contest.

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
I think Murdock more in terms as a defensive small forward , not a goalkicking small forward like Ryan and Chalmers...Be interesting to see how Ah Chee and Walker go as well.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it true colts had a intraclub scratch match last night? The girls certainly did but their season starts next week. Anyone watch it?

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is it true colts had a intraclub scratch match last night? The girls certainly did but their season starts next week. Anyone watch it?

I hadn't heard but it is likely if they got covid clearance.
I would think they would be starting about now. Lots of potential players show up and the cull starts.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I hadn't heard but it is likely if they got covid clearance.
I would think they would be starting about now. Lots of potential players show up and the cull starts.
Don’t think they needed covid clearance. Outside vigorous activity so masks not required.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seems like the club has recruited well.

Ex AFL players in Kommer, Snadden, Eardley, Boekhurst, Marsh, Strnadica, Tucker, Schoenfeld, Jansen, Dixon, O'Reilly, and English.

Hopefully the team chemistry is good.

Nobody over the age of 30.

Do we have enough leadership?

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
I think EF does mate....Jupp, Eardley, Kommer, Marsh, Boekhorst, Chalmers, Snadden and Jansen would be the obvious go to leadership wise....have heard the vibe has been good at training, some position specific recruiting, bit of match day versatility in terms of Dixon,Marsh and O'Reilly up front or back....run and grunt of Schoenfeld and English, cleverness of Chalmers up front....good opportunity for the likes of Tucker, Davidson and McGuire up back to secure a KP....heard Winton has pulled the pin due to travel and work....good opportunity for Strnadica and Teakle to get more rucking time with Griff gone...

One player who I reckon could step up from the colts is Finn Gorringe...unlucky not to get drafted, no nonsense half back flanker who Monaghan will like....on the flip side is Chris Walker up front, bit of zip and X factor hopefully.....finals or bust I reckon for the coach this year....not too sure if he has been offered an extension as yet...

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Next up!

Hugh Dixon

) How have you settled into Shark Park?

I feel like I’ve settled into Shark Park really well. All the players and staff have been extremely welcoming and made the transition very easy.

I see myself playing predominately as a tall forward that can give a marking option around the ground and hit the scoreboard. I think I will be spending some time in the ruck as well.

3) You spent some time on Fremantle’s list, what did you learn from experiencing the AFL environment?
I learnt a lot during my time at Freo about what it takes to play at the highest level. I also learnt a lot about the culture within the four walls of a football club and how important that is for team success.

4) Which Sharks have impressed you this pre-season?

Milan Murdock has impressed me with the way he attacks every session. Mathew Jupp has outstanding leadership qualities and has the ability to drive the team. Josh Schoenfeld and his aerobic capacity and ability to run is also another standout.

Schoenfeld getting lots of love.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think EF does mate....Jupp, Eardley, Kommer, Marsh, Boekhorst, Chalmers, Snadden and Jansen would be the obvious go to leadership wise....have heard the vibe has been good at training, some position specific recruiting, bit of match day versatility in terms of Dixon,Marsh and O'Reilly up front or back....run and grunt of Schoenfeld and English, cleverness of Chalmers up front....good opportunity for the likes of Tucker, Davidson and McGuire up back to secure a KP....heard Winton has pulled the pin due to travel and work....good opportunity for Strnadica and Teakle to get more rucking time with Griff gone...

One player who I reckon could step up from the colts is Finn Gorringe...unlucky not to get drafted, no nonsense half back flanker who Monaghan will like....on the flip side is Chris Walker up front, bit of zip and X factor hopefully.....finals or bust I reckon for the coach this year....not too sure if he has been offered an extension as yet...
Thanks

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Schoenfeld getting lots of love.

And here he is

1) How have you settled into Shark Park?

Settled in seamlessly, to be honest. The boys have been terrific from the start with how welcoming and accepting they are. I was pretty nervous to begin with given it was a complete fresh start for me, but I feel really comfortable among the group now and have opened up big time. Credit to the group we’ve got down at the club at the moment, I’m very excited for what’s ahead.

I see myself as predominately an inside mid who can play in and out throughout the midfield. Just providing plenty of run and good ball use which are my strengths. We’ve got a big mix of players who can roll through the midfield this year which is a huge strength of ours so I’m sure I’ll find myself out on the wing and half forward at times as well.

3) You spent some time on The Gold Coast Sun’s list, what did you learn from experiencing the AFL environment?
The list could go on for days, I took plenty from my five years there. Mainly just the importance of consistence mindset, discipline and professionalism required to succeed at that level and that it’s probably even more of a mental game than physical at times. Also, that there’s nothing better and more satisfying than working and progressing towards a common goal with a group of your best mates. I developed massively as a player and person during my time there and built plenty of resilience, something I will be forever grateful for.

4) Which Sharks have impressed you this preseason?

Milan Murdock is someone from day one that I’ve been impressed and loved training with. The energy he brings daily and how he goes about his footy and training is unreal, the little man has a bright future. Can’t forget the Skipper though, the way Juppy leads from the front and drives standards is inspiring. You can see how much he cares about the club and wants to succeed, there’s nothing I want more than to get wins for that man.

Seriously though, I’ve been impressed with everyone on how they’ve attacked pre-season and just got on with the work. The energy they bring is unreal, got a great group of boys coming through this year and years to come.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Several first-round draft hopefuls are among WA’s Talented Player Program squad which had their first event of the year at the weekend.
Subiaco midfielder Matt Johnson, Claremont forward Jacob van Rooyen, East Fremantle swingman Jack Williams and Swan Districts defender Rhett Bazzo were the biggest names in the 19-player contingent for a two-day camp in Manjedal, south-east of Perth.
East Fremantle are the best-represented team in the program with five players including a trio of Mid West products, followed by East Perth (four) and South Fremantle (three).

Highly-rated East Fremantle winger Jed Hagan, 16, is the only member of the squad not eligible for this year’s draft.

East Fremantle: Richard Bartlett, Josh Browne, Jed Hagan, Judd McVee, Jack Williams

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Cheers for that mate....Will be interesting to see if Bartlett and McVee come down to Perth on a permanent basis this year....both come with good wraps, yet haven't set the world alight in the few colts games they have played. Hagan had a impressive start to his EF colts career last year, despite it being only half a season of footy....Williams is still growing i believe, so I reckon he will have a lot more ups n downs development wise....whilst Browne had a consistent 2020, once moved out of defence and found his niche in the midfield....one guy who I am interested in seeing develop is another mid west boy in Tristan Jacques...195/6 cm, appeared to be playing for Willeton's colts in 2020....not sure why.... heard he is a talented sort and part of Freo's academy / development squad.

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Yep Bartlett is mate...Hagan is not, as he doesn't meet the NGA criteria(indigenous & multicultural ethnicity)....he could be in Freo's academy squad though...not 100% sure on that though....I know McVee and Jacques are from EF.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep Bartlett is mate...Hagan is not, as he doesn't meet the NGA criteria(indigenous & multicultural ethnicity)....he could be in Freo's academy squad though...not 100% sure on that though....I know McVee and Jacques are from EF.
Barlett is the NGA squad but the AFL has not accepted his nomination for NGA yet.

Read post #2035.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As we edge closer to Round 1, we touch base with Football Operations Manager, Brad Dodd, to get an update on pre-season and early indication of our prospects in 2021.

Q: The club has been fairly active in recruiting this off-season, give us some insight into what you were specifically looking to add?

Our list management process is a year-round thing, we are constantly looking at opportunities that may arise and strengthening our list through recruiting. We identified that we needed to add some midfield running power and once Josh Schoenfeld and Luke English became available, we spoke with them. Both have really embraced what we are trying to do and have set themselves up for excellent seasons.

Corey Chalmers is another player that can run through the midfield, he’s a high accumulator that can also hit the scoreboard.

We expect Milan Murdock to continue developing as a midfielder, who is another strong runner. We feel that we now have a midfield that can match it with the best in the competition.

Dillon O’Reilly and Hugh Dixon give the coaching staff some flexibility as key position players - both can play either end and Hugh can also go into the ruck. The duo are young and exciting prospects.

Jono Marsh became available late in the piece, which was certainly a surprise to us. He has been outstanding since re-joining the Sharks. He brings a high level of energy to the place and is driven to see the team improve. Jono will likely play through the midfield and forward.

Who are some of the younger players Sharks fans should look out for in 2021?

We still have a fairly young group, even though Milan Murdock, Ambrose Ryan, Tom Monaghan, Alex Montauban, Michael Tassone and Max Murphy have played regular Senior football over the last 3 seasons, they’re still relatively young in terms of experience. We believe that group has some natural improvement that will see them start to play consistently at a good level.

Durak Tucker had his first taste of senior football in 2020 after missing the previous two years with injury. Highly talented, he is one to watch this year.

Reuben McGuire was unlucky not to debut last year, he’s one that should also play Seniors early in 2021.

We have added ten players from our Colts team that made the Preliminary final last year and they’re all settling in well. Keanu Haddow and Finn Gorringe should hopefully push for League selection.

In our Colts, Jack Williams is training with the Seniors while Josh Browne, Jed Hagan, Judd McVee, Ed Curley and Richard Bartlett are ones to watch early.

: Any injuries at the moment?

Besides a few minor niggles, Josh Ritchie did his ACL late last season and is progressing well with his rehab. Brynn Teakle had a slow start to his pre-season with a foot issue. He’s hit the gym hard however and has just started running, so we’ll hopefully see him re-join the main group shortly. Nic Bonomelli will also have a delayed start after injuring his lower leg at training. It’s unlucky for Bono, who had been training strongly.

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Understand you put names down instead of positions mate, good effort too

For me from back to front

Gorringe Jupp Tucker

Leggett Lester Smith Morgan

Schoenfeld Marsh Boekhorst

Chalmers O'Reilly Snadden

Ryan Dixon Murdock

Strnadica Jansen English

Int: C Walker Kommer Eardley McGuire/ Davidson

Protect Kommer injury woes, make him an impact player reduced minutes....Gorringe is a no nonsense sort, whilst C Walker has a bit of X about him....obviously the likes of Murphy, Bennett, Tassone, Bailey will all be right up there....injuries will no doubt play a part, but we seem to have some depth....Let Schoenfeld and Boekhorst provide some run outside.....

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
edited from

Q&A with Bill Monaghan
Friday, March 5, 2021

You had an intraclub match last night, how did it go and what do you take from these games?

Intraclub games are always a little difficult to assess. Some of the outcomes are probably not what they are on a normal day. Our ball movement was good, I thought the energy was good, we kicked really accurately – I think one team kicked 11.4 and the other 9.1, so there were a lot of positives. I think trying to get our recruits to blend with the existing players is something we’ve got to work hard to do.

We also decided to use some players in different positions, we brought in two or three guys who will come through the midfield so that adds a little bit of pressure. Then there’s guys who have taken their game to another level who will get more opportunities.

It probably showed that it’s going to be difficult to pick a side come round 1 and it’s even going to be difficult to pick a side next week against Subi.

There is going to be four or five guys who will be rewarded for their pre-season and a couple of our senior or more experience players might have to suit up a bit earlier, which is always the case but they’re not easy conversations to have.

Q 3 Who impressed in the intraclub match?

Jamie Meade and Cody Smith are going really well, they were probably the most impressive of the guys who haven’t played league footy.

Milan Murdock looks like he has taken his game to a new level, Cam Eardley was used across half-back to good effect, Hugh Dixon was doing a good job up forward.

The most exciting is probably English and Schoenfeld through the middle, Chalmers and Marsh spent some time forward and in the middle, and they were really impressive. Max Murphy ended up kicking three goals, he and Lachy Bailey were on opposite sides but both played really well in their positions, so there is a lot to look forward to.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Richard Bartlett and Jacques are in and McVee doesn’t seem in the squad.

Back