East Gippsland Football League

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah, I'm not arguing about the standard of the league. Granted, it is much higher now then it was 5 years ago with more players leaving the EGFL to play in a more relaxed league (Swifts Creek has half of its players live in Bairnsdale for example), but it isn't the highest.

SwansRampage

Debutant
Oct 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Good to hear Tom Smith has signed and is training at Lakes. Lakes also have had Andy Stevens at training who hasn't missed a session. Two good inclusions to help cover for Matthews, Fulton and Nickless.

Any other Redlegs that have committed elsewhere at this stage? What about aligning themselves with clubs? Any commitments so far?

Anyone know about Brad Paris who has signed at Lindenow?

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
All 3 matches in were won by the favourites to kick start season 2011 in the ner era without the Redlegs.

Wy Yung got on top of Lucknow by 76 points, which could have been a lot worse if not for inaccuracy in front of goal by the Tiger players. In Boo Wheelers first senior match as coach after leading the Under 18's to last years premiership, B'dale listed player Darcy Murray run rampant and will be very close to a call-up one would think.

Lakes smashed P'Ville by over 10 goals which is just what Gez would have been looking for. The tall timber for Lakes will be certain to cause headaches for opposition clubs this year, as was the case when they switched big Dyno from forward to defence on Keith Ritchie after he was kicking goals for the Ville. Shut him out of the match, yet still Ritchie had 7 to his name.

Lindenow are the flag favourites early on with Turk recruiting again strongly over the Summer to try and cover the losses left by the new B'Dale merged side. Against last years strugglers Orbost though, they were given a run for their money and only won by 30 odd points. Down in Orbost, the home side were in front at half time before the Cats rallied in the 2nd half to get up. New recruit Adam Dennis turned it on for the Rovers and seemed to be a worthy recruiting target.

Orbost showed enough to suggest they could fill the 4th spot heading into finals behind Lakes, Lindenow and Wy Yung this year. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

SwansRampage

Debutant
Oct 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
All results going as expected again. Orbost look certain to make up the four with Lindenow, Lakes and Wy Yung. The top three sides have played the bottom three sides in both rounds so far. Next round Lindenow and Wy Yung both have a bye. Paynesville and Lucknow to do battle and Lakes take on Orbost. Mind you, you never know with Orbost especially down there.

The League has to be putting some work in now to the make up of footy in East Gippsland from next season on. Two six team competitions will not be sustainable for much longer. Paynesville thirds had no side at the weekend, nor did Lindenow South. The VCFL may have to step in and make some recommendations too.

I haven't seen any Omeo League footy, but a local MP mentioned to me at the weekend that he couldn't sit through the match at Bruthen Saturday as it was just too hard to watch.

Apr 25, 2006
East of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Went and watched Lindenow in a Practice match with Hill End a few weeks ago. I was thinking to myself at the time, that probably all their players didnt turn up due to the distance. I reckon it took til about 5 mins before half time for the cats to hit a target by foot. They were terrible.

Clearly I was right about the lack of travellers. Glad to see they are favorites because I was thinking it was going to be a long season, from what I was seeing.

SwansRampage

Debutant
Oct 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Went and watched Lindenow in a Practice match with Hill End a few weeks ago. I was thinking to myself at the time, that probably all their players didnt turn up due to the distance. I reckon it took til about 5 mins before half time for the cats to hit a target by foot. They were terrible.

Clearly I was right about the lack of travellers. Glad to see they are favorites because I was thinking it was going to be a long season, from what I was seeing.

Probably not much excitement in travelling to play against the Hillmen Plugger... Lindenow were a very good side last year and would have been very competitive in Nth Gippy circles. Maybe not at Sale City, Rosedale or Gormy of 2010 but certainly in amongst the next bunch.

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
All results going as expected again. Orbost look certain to make up the four with Lindenow, Lakes and Wy Yung. The top three sides have played the bottom three sides in both rounds so far. Next round Lindenow and Wy Yung both have a bye. Paynesville and Lucknow to do battle and Lakes take on Orbost. Mind you, you never know with Orbost especially down there.

The League has to be putting some work in now to the make up of footy in East Gippsland from next season on. Two six team competitions will not be sustainable for much longer. Paynesville thirds had no side at the weekend, nor did Lindenow South. The VCFL may have to step in and make some recommendations too.

I haven't seen any Omeo League footy, but a local MP mentioned to me at the weekend that he couldn't sit through the match at Bruthen Saturday as it was just too hard to watch.

It is a major talking point down here, the longetivity of having 2, 6 team leagues when teams are struggling to find numbers. No idea what the solution may be, maybe merge and make one high-country team to enter into the EGFL? I'm sure all options will be considered, but the general consensus is that both leagues revenue will no longer be enough to continue onwards in competition (so to speak) with each other in the long-term.

Nugget1985

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Justin Langer Appreciation Group
Probably not much excitement in travelling to play against the Hillmen Plugger... Lindenow were a very good side last year and would have been very competitive in Nth Gippy circles. Maybe not at Sale City, Rosedale or Gormy of 2010 but certainly in amongst the next bunch.

Heyfield played them in a practice match and we smacked them, talking to shaggy baylis (Lindenow captain) he said they were very young and only had a couple of players to come back and play for them from that day. There side last year would have been competetive in NGFNL but with the loss of a few star players this years side has lost alot on last years side.

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Heyfield played them in a practice match and we smacked them, talking to shaggy baylis (Lindenow captain) he said they were very young and only had a couple of players to come back and play for them from that day. There side last year would have been competetive in NGFNL but with the loss of a few star players this years side has lost alot on last years side.

The loss of Lukey Dyer himself is huge enough for the club, let alone others. Add to that big Sturg or Anderson and its 3 of their better players from last year gone.

Although they have been somewhat compensated with big men John Dick and Greg Coates, both Bairnsdale listed players, nominating Lindenow as their affiliated club.

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Two close games in the EGFL last weekend with Lucknow just getting over the line against Paynesville at home for their first win of the season and Lakes finally winning at Orbost but by only 7 points in what was apparently a well fought out game. Lucky have now put themselves into the top 4 with their win, which was lead by Pete Jenner down the backline and Fitzgerald in the ruck. In a very physical game as is always the case with the the Pies, they managed to stop the influence of Hayes (to an extent) and use their rebound running and clearance work to hurt the Ville and set up their win. This leaves only 2 sides yet to win a match this year in Paynesville and Orbost, but Orbost have been playing very well and have performed admirably against the three top sides in Lindenow, Lakes and Wy Yung. I have no doubt that Orbost will at some stage this season knock off one of these sides, if not more, especially when they play at home at Lochiel Park. They only lost to a much bigger Lakes Entrance by seven points after coming home strong with a 7 goal to 2 final quarter. Big Deon Scott kicked 5 for them whilst Gez keeps on keeping on with another lazy 5 for Lakes and really playing great footy to start the season. The young man in Dave Kelly is also playing great footy to start 2011 and is now a danger around goal, after a goal spree these first few rounds (already on 4 goals ;)) and captain Peglar is continuing where he left off last season which saw him poll heavily in the League B&F.

This week will tell us a lot about the stronger teams in the EGFL when two undefeated sides, Lindenow and Wy Yung, fight it out at Lindenow. Both sides are coming off a weeks rest and Boo Wheeler and his Tigers will be very keen to show Turk's Cats that they are a genuine chance at this years premiership. I can't see Lindenow losing this match with a great mix of players all over the ground with the likes of Ashwood and Collier in the midfield and Schumann in the forward line but the Tigers should be good enough to keep the match close. Tipping Lindenow by 19 points at home.

The other match has Orbost against Paynesville, which as I mentioned earlier is Orbosts first easier game so to speak and they should get up against a struggling Paynesville and win by about 40 points. Lakes and Lucknow have a week off so all the attention will be at Lindenow this Saturday

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Been a bit quiet in here recently and I will take partial responsibility for that, having not watched many games in this league opting to follow Bairnsdale (naturally) in preference of the EGFL and ODFL.

However, this weekend I am ignoring the Bairnsdale home match against Drouin and the ODFL match of the round of Lindenow South and Swanny to instead travel to Wy Yung and watch would should be an absolute cracker of a match between the home side and top of the ladder Lindenow. Last time these two teams met it resulted in a 2 point win to the Cats, however this time around I am leaning in preference towards the Tigers. Boo Wheeler is very confident that his team playing tomorrow is more then able to out play the undefeated Lindenow boys. I must mention Tigers midfielder Dale Lynn who is new to their side this year and is absolutely dominating every match he plays. He should be leading the League B&F at this point and is an invaluable member of the Tiger line-up after moving to the area this year (from Queensland so I hear). Turk will have his boys firing for this match too and fingers crossed the weather holds up and allows for a great game of footy. Tipping Tigers by 13 points at home.

Other matches seem to be one-sided affairs with Lakes playing Orbost and Lucknow matching up against Paynesville. Lakes should easily account for the Blues at home with big Gez set to kick a bag if he comes back from injury. Lucknow really should get over Paynesville if they want to be serious contenders for that 4th position. Keith Ritchie against Pete Jenner sees 2 of the most in-form players in the league play head-to-head and will be a good battle all day long

Manapak

Draftee
Apr 12, 2011
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
The talk is Stratford Football Netball Club is looking very seriously at joining the EGFL next year. Apparently they have support of the committee and players. They are struggling in the NGFL, they are improving greatly as the year goes on however they cannot compete financially with the other teams in the league.

The new 2011 committee has greatly improved the finances and the professionalism of the club as a business however they believe they cannot be competitive enough with the current support they are receiving from the community and sponsors to have a big player budget that is sustainable.

The Stratford practice match against Paynesville, although Paynesville are far from a top side, Stratford beat them by 10 goals and the current group is playing much better footy since that game.

Boisdale/Briagalong have also been approached however they are possibly looking at 2013 if they have no improvement. There is also talk Buchan may join the EGFL in the future. The EGFL may be on the improve.

Jay

Nugget1985

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Really??

Should have happenned years ago when they left Rivieria, it was silly when they travelled down there to play in that league that they changed there complete demographic and chose NGFNL, all for the good of a couple of netballers.

Stratford will do well in EGFL, good luck to them. I hope the EGFL do draft a side from the ODFL but I would have thought maybe someone like a Bruthen or Omeo?? Just purely on town size etc, but this would really kill the ODFL.

I don't know about competing financially they were paying reasonable money a few years back, I know all clubs are struggling to compete with what a few clubs are preparing to pay players, hence why the points system is being brought in. The problem is because they have been so lowly they cannot recruit any players because they are comepeting with more successful teams, if your electing to leave GFL, players are always going to choose to go play with a team who is a chance of doing well.

If Boisdale go out of the NGFNL that will pretty much mean the ODFL can stay the same, EGFL will be 8 teams and NGFNL will be 9 teams, this would open up the door for Yarram to maybe come in and provide an equal competition.

Crow at heart

Draftee
Mar 14, 2011
Gippsland
AFL Club
Carlton
Was talking to some people high up at the Bois/Briag footy club and they will not be going to the EGFL, not 2012, not 2113. They said that they are committed to building a team to compete in the NGFL. They have not won a game yet this season but with a very young group feel they are on the right path. Last week vs Heyfield they were horrible but the two previous weeks they pushed Churchill till the final 2 minutes and should have won and were very competitive with 2nd placed Glengarry only being 3 goals down at 3/4 time. The roller coaster ride that inexperience gives.

Nugget1985

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Was talking to some people high up at the Bois/Briag footy club and they will not be going to the EGFL, not 2012, not 2113. They said that they are committed to building a team to compete in the NGFL. They have not won a game yet this season but with a very young group feel they are on the right path. Last week vs Heyfield they were horrible but the two previous weeks they pushed Churchill till the final 2 minutes and should have won and were very competitive with 2nd placed Glengarry only being 3 goals down at 3/4 time. The roller coaster ride that inexperience gives.

Yeah I didn't think that Boisdale were contemplating this, for there own sake they need to stay in NGFNL. Being within that league has many benefits for the club (players from Maffra, close proximity, less travel etc) that it probably could not have whilst playing in EGFL.

Boisdale are improving over the year I think they have more upside than some clubs have and they seem to have a pretty close knit group that enjoys playing footy together, the results aren't there yet but I definitely think they have a pretty good player and club base to build upon which is important.

juddiesmedal

Draftee
Sep 21, 2010
Churchill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nugget, I think you will find that only Paynesville and Lindenow sth were the teams in the east with Nambrok, Newry, Boisdale and Stratty all in the Nth Gippy region. At the time, with Sale City in recess and a number of stratford players living in sale, the North Gippsland seemed the right idea. The footballers were the ones that voted to go into ngnfl, not netballers. When the new year started, all sale city players had gone, the 6 police that played were gone and all that was left from a dual premiership side was a handful of reasonable players. The side that had voted on the move would have been competitive in the nth gippy but, those that voted and those that stayed on are 2 different sides. In hindsight East Gippy would have been the right move but no-one at the time knew what was going to happen with the player numbers at Stratty and the changing of coaches that took place just before the season that again was out of the clubs control. Hopefully, if they go, they can be competitive and attract some new faces, as we all know you won't survive by winning wooden spoon after wooden spoon.

The Big Cigar

Senior List
Jun 30, 2009
Churchilll
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hopefully Startford can stay in Nth Gippy, a club that can boast 3 successive 3rds flag obviously can attract the young talent to the club but cant keep them beyond that. Just seems that they (no direspect to anyone past or present) cant attract that big fish to lead the club at Senior level. But I can understand that its hard to compete with other clubs in regard to spending with no real big business in town to cover the costs.

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Can anyone stop steve Nicholls and the tiger train?? Wy yung are flying at the minute!!

The side is bloody impressive. A 140 point win yesterday to go with a 120+ win the week before sees them coasting towards the final in top spot. The Sale contingent have really pulled their weight with Stevey Nicholls consistently sending them through the big sticks, the Counahan boys getting their hands on the pill and Farley holding his own. Add in the ever reliable Frouds, Jansz doing his own thing at will, the best player in the competition at the minute in Lynn and Micky Walker at his best, they look a tough side to knock off. Lindenow are the only team that has a genuine chance against them, but Wheeler has got his Tigers cruising very nicely right now.

Nugget1985

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Nugget, I think you will find that only Paynesville and Lindenow sth were the teams in the east with Nambrok, Newry, Boisdale and Stratty all in the Nth Gippy region. At the time, with Sale City in recess and a number of stratford players living in sale, the North Gippsland seemed the right idea. The footballers were the ones that voted to go into ngnfl, not netballers. When the new year started, all sale city players had gone, the 6 police that played were gone and all that was left from a dual premiership side was a handful of reasonable players. The side that had voted on the move would have been competitive in the nth gippy but, those that voted and those that stayed on are 2 different sides. In hindsight East Gippy would have been the right move but no-one at the time knew what was going to happen with the player numbers at Stratty and the changing of coaches that took place just before the season that again was out of the clubs control. Hopefully, if they go, they can be competitive and attract some new faces, as we all know you won't survive by winning wooden spoon after wooden spoon.

I can remember the vote I was only 16-17 at the time, my dad had a limited involvement at the club and everyone was aware that City were returning to NGFNL, the ex Sale City players did enjoy the club and made it pretty clear for the fact that they would stick at Stratford if they went to EGFL. The policemen that were leaving the club or not playing were either at the end of there careers or moving for work I can think of four...they did let the netballers vote and a majority of them were from Sale and remarked about the travel that they had to undertake if going east (which seems silly considering even before that they were travelling to bairnsdale at least to play three teams)

It was also proposed from memory that the reason of travel could be avoided by playing Snowy Rovers/Orbost at a mutual venue.

Now whether or not it was the right decision to join the NGFNL, I dont know, but nearly eight years later the rumours are that the club wants out of the NGFNL, even worse it seems for the reasons that it should have joined EGFL in the first place ie an inability to attract players, keep there successful juniors and get better.

It seems now that the VCFL and North Gippsland league have cottoned on to the gap in campaignerry football and are putting some discussed measures in place to hopefully help all teams that are struggling.

SwansRampage

Debutant
Oct 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Boisdale/Briag have officially declared their hand in regards to joining the EGFNL next year and, as expected, are staying put in the North Gippy.

However Stratford are very keen and will be having a meeting with all their members in the coming weeks to have an official vote as to whether they join the EGFNL.

The trouble with asking all your members is that more often than not your members aren't actually involved in the day to day running of the club. They might attend some games - even all the games - yet know very little about the costs associated, the prospect of recruiting new players and the long term survival of the club. Only time will tell.

Hopefully Stratford members do vote to make the move. It will be of benefit not only to Stratford, but also the North Gippy and obviously East Gippy. Stratford will become a competitive side straight away in the EG, the NG will be reduced to an even ten team competition and the EG will bolster it's numbers to seven clubs.

Assuming Stratford make the move, the challenge now is is for the EG to attract an Omeo club - Bruthen - to join them in 2012. The Omeo League would still survive with five clubs with the potential to play less footy/netball, have a three round on one round off scenario giving them the chance to support 'their' club in the EG the same way the EG clubs have supported Bairnsdale in the GL this year.

SeeTheBombersFlyUp

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting to see if Stratford do make the switch to the EGFL, how Lindenow South fare in terms of numbers. Effectively, Lindenow South are fielding a predominant Stratford fuelled line-up this season, and have an undefeated season to show for it. Lindenow South are already struggling in the league, not being able to field a Junior Football side or Junior Netball which really ruins the atmosphere at ODFL matches.

As for an Omeo League side joining in the EGFL, I would say Bruthen would be behind both Swifts Creek and Swan Reach to join the league at the present time. Swifts have a lot of financial back-up and sponsorships from all around the region, and could potentially be a "high country rep" side in a sense. Players not selected go back to Omeo etc. Majority of Swifts Creek players live and work in Bairnsdale and are ex-Bairnsdale players themselves. They even train in town on a Thursday Night so it could potentially work out for them.

Don't think the ODFL will be going for much longer anyway personally..

Manapak

Draftee
Apr 12, 2011
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully Startford can stay in Nth Gippy, a club that can boast 3 successive 3rds flag obviously can attract the young talent to the club but cant keep them beyond that. Just seems that they (no direspect to anyone past or present) cant attract that big fish to lead the club at Senior level. But I can understand that its hard to compete with other clubs in regard to spending with no real big business in town to cover the costs.

The club has managed to hold on to the majority of the U18's from last season. Those that have gone have moved away for work or university. That was one of the top priorities of the new community this year.

Many of those players are now playing seniors and are getting better each week. They have there ups and downs but they are improving. Will it be enough to stay in the ngfl, don't think so.

Good win for the boys this week clean sweep of the footy against Woodside. They all knew their effort against Boisdale Briagalong the previous week was pathetic and wouldn't be excepted. That was made very clear. Anyone that was not willing to put in was told in no uncertain terms they where not wanted by the club and not to bother turning up for training if they could not commit, no excuses.

Back