Lewis28

Debutant
Oct 6, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
My brother showed me this article and was wondering if anyone knows more about this ? Seems the royals were at one time the Eagles :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369741385.536407.jpg

Sorry not sure if the picture worked trying to upload from iPhone but basically it states that during the 40s the royals were known as the eagles due to the trend at the time of teams taking ferocious animals as their nicknames so I guess if true then it was meant to be lol

Yes I know but the piece I read was about the fc and was in the 1940s

The 60's could easily have been a real golden era for East Perth, yet they turned into something of a nightmare. Thats not to say the club wasn't successful, indeed it was as numerous Rodriguez Shields earned will attest to. The problem was that between 1960
and 1971 East Perth contested 7 Grand Finals and lost every one of them, earning itself a reputation that Collingwood fans would no doubt be sympathetic with.

In brief, the 40's and early 50's were not succesful years for the club. Since East Perth's last premiership in 1936 (not counting 1944's under-age success) finals appearances became something of a rarity.

Indeed the club became so desperate to inspire players and supporters alike they followed the trend of numerous clubs around the country in taking on the nickname of a ferocious animal, hence East Perth were very briefly known as the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back