Opinion Easter Friday. Suns v GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Big article in the Courier-Mail today saying that Travis Auld, the Suns CEO, has been pushing for the Suns to be involved on a Good Friday match for the past few years. Before it got 'cool'. ;)

There's an update today saying that he would like it to be a Suns v GWS game, which will only get bigger as the years roll on.

What do Suns fans think of this? Would you go? Has it got the hallmarks to be a huge 90k blockbuster in years to come?

Big article in the Courier-Mail today saying that Travis Auld, the Suns CEO, has been pushing for the Suns to be involved on a Good Friday match for the past few years. Before it got 'cool'. ;)

There's an update today saying that he would like it to be a Suns v GWS game, which will only get bigger as the years roll on.

What do Suns fans think of this? Would you go? Has it got the hallmarks to be a huge 90k blockbuster in years to come?

Possibly, reason being is Easter is typically family/holiday time.
Gold Coast being a popular destination for holidays in general it might work.

I would think it would be more useful for a VIC or SA club to come though for the traveling supporters to make a holiday out of it and boost tourism/economy.

GWS don't have a big following, and neither do we really in fairness.

Maybe a good date for the Q-Clash?
All the accommodation is fully booked at Easter anyway and airfares are the bomb, so interstate team supporters might struggle
I think it's better for the local economy to have the travelling support teams like Collingwood Carlton Essendon Adelaide scattered over the season
A Good Friday Q-Clash might just get a full-house

The Vic clubs will riot if Good Friday goes to an interstate team. The Suns and GWS dont need that gimmick of playing on a public holiday to draw crowds and get attention in a 2 team state, but clubs like North and the Dogs need all the help they can get.

In my opinion, and this is coming from a north supporter, this makes a lot of sense.

Give it to GC and GWS. let them make it their own. They have no "blockbusters" and this could be theirs to take and run with.

Don't get me wrong i would be p!ssed if North don't get it after 20 years of trying, but i just think a GC vs GWS match works every good friday. Its a disgrace that the two newest teams never even get to play on a standard friday night

The Vic clubs will riot if Good Friday goes to an interstate team. The Suns and GWS dont need that gimmick of playing on a public holiday to draw crowds and get attention in a 2 team state, but clubs like North and the Dogs need all the help they can get.
That's why it's such a good idea. :D

I suppose you can play more than 1 game on Good Friday. Suns v GWS in the arvo leading up to a North v whoever in twilight. Upcoming ANZAC day on Friday has 3 matches but imo that is major overkill.

Yeah agree with this. 2 matches on Good Friday should certainly be considered.

There was an article on Monday where our chairman Tony Shepherd said he wanted to open the season on Good Friday next year against the Swans at the SCG (we can't use Spotless early again due to Easter Show timing)

:oops:

I wouldn't be against either option :D SandyToes might be on to something, both GC vs Bris and Syd vs GWS on Good Friday? Unfortunately we'll never have a true (Showground) home game at Easter due to the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back