chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Whose done it? I'm going towards the middle of this year. What are the best cities to party at basically?

Bulgaria - Sunny Beach - black sea coast. Really loose and cheap. Varna is pretty good to.

Serbia - Belgrade - dont even get me started.

I love the Balkans. Great part of the world.

Not many tourists in these places, particularly Aussies.

Bulgaria - Sunny Beach - black sea coast. Really loose and cheap. Varna is pretty good to.

Serbia - Belgrade - dont even get me started.

I love the Balkans. Great part of the world.

Not many tourists in these places, particularly Aussies.

How do you get on only speaking English in these parts?

A few more questions:

What was your budget like?
Did you go with mates?
DId you just do the whole thing freelance or did you do tours and stuff?

You'll be fine mate. I was in rural Romania where they still travelled by horse and cart and I managed.

Na no tours, just trains and bus to get around. Was with one mate for the majority.

Depends what you want to do. I spent 16000 in 4 months, not including flights.

The history in this part of the world is amazing to.

You'll be fine mate. I was in rural Romania where they still travelled by horse and cart and I managed.

Na no tours, just trains and bus to get around. Was with one mate for the majority.

What sort of accomodation did you have? Hostels or actual hotels?

A mix.

If you go on booking.com you can find some really cheap apartments that are decked out with everything and are usually located where the action is. If your with a mate it makes it pretty affordable.

Of course there are hostels, but you'll need a break every now and then imo.

Any idea where you want to go?

A mix.

If you go on booking.com you can find some really cheap apartments that are decked out with everything and are usually located where the action is. If your with a mate it makes it pretty affordable.

Of course there are hostels, but you'll need a break every now and then imo.

Any idea where you want to go?

Forming some ideas atm, from recommendations I've received so far I'm locking in Budapest, Belgrade and Djubrovnik. Know of any hidden gems?

Don't leave Krakow off your list. Incredible place, every bit as good as Budapest and Prague. Beautiful city, best looking girls in Europe, great nightlife (it's a uni town), also really cool historical stuff. Auchwitz is a must (about an hour out of the city). The museum at Schindler's Factory (think Schindler's List) is brilliant too and the salt mines are pretty cool.

Don't leave Krakow off your list. Incredible place, every bit as good as Budapest and Prague. Beautiful city, best looking girls in Europe, great nightlife (it's a uni town), also really cool historical stuff. Auchwitz is a must (about an hour out of the city). The museum at Schindler's Factory (think Schindler's List) is brilliant too and the salt mines are pretty cool.

Thanks for that mate, wasn't aware it was any good. what sort of budget would you have in Krakow for say a fortnight?

Thanks for that mate, wasn't aware it was any good. what sort of budget would you have in Krakow for say a fortnight?

Well it depends really. You can do it pretty cheap if you wanted to. You could spend $35-40 a day including accommodation and everything and have a good time but I'd budget more like $60 (though you can always spend more!). Food and alcohol is cheap though it obviously depends on the sort of places you go. As you mentioned you're looking for the best places to party I would highly recommend staying at the Greg & Tom Party Hostel: http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Greg-and-Tom-Party-Hostel/Krakow/35593 ... they do pub/club crawls and different themed parties every night that include many, many shots of free vodka (well you pay to go to the party but not much). You won't find more inclusions at a hostel. You're going at peak time but it would still only be about $20 a night for a dorm and that includes breakfast and dinner (at least when I was there this time last year they also put out a buffet dinner every night). Obviously if you want to eat out a lot in nice places you'll spend more. But nothing compared to Western Europe.

From memory the day tour to Auschwitz was about $40. Salt mines about $30. Plus any tips you give. I always recommend doing a free walking tour in any of these cities. Though if you're not at all interested in history then you can find other stuff to do or even just walk around through the different areas. If you do like museums and stuff in addition to Schindler's Factory there's also a pretty cool underground museum with the entrance in the main square. It takes you through the archaeological history of the city over hundreds of years. I'd never been to anything like it.

Finally I don't think you'd need a fortnight there. 4 or 5 days would be plenty for Krakow. You might be interested in some other places nearby http://www.krakow-info.com/proximit.htm, but I haven't been to them other than Auschwitz and the salt mine ... so maybe 7 days or so if you plan to base yourself in krakow and do a few other day trips. Unless you just want to chill out in one place for a while then stay as long as you like.

A fortnight in Krakow is not necessary, although Poland is dirt cheap.

If you head to Krakow go to a KS Cracovia soccer game. The crowds are psychotic especially if your fortunate enough to get a big rival game. Arrive at least an hour before kick off so you can marval at the 100's of riot police and sign up for a stadium membership. A membership is required to enter the stadium as they have riots all the time, ID and photo are taken.

And just to add there's another Greg and Tom Hostel in Krakow that is a bit quieter if you want a more relaxed place to sleep in, especially if you stay longer. It's closer to the main train station and about a ten minute walk to the party hostel. And they sell tickets to the same parties/pub crawls (all of which start at the party hostel). As I mentioned you have to buy tickets to these parties, but they're cheap and you get easy entry to all the best places plus heaps of free shots and stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you get on only speaking English in these parts?

A few more questions:

What was your budget like?
Did you go with mates?
DId you just do the whole thing freelance or did you do tours and stuff?
I live in Serbia/Bulgaria now..loving the 10% tax rate here :D and life is good, feel free to ask any question you might have.

Language has never been a problem here, just pick up a few important words and you will fine.Many people here speak english specially younger ones so you wont have any problem but still recommended that you learn a couple of important words if you plan to stay longer.

You spent 1,000 a week over 4 months in Eastern Europe, NOT including flights???

My god man, were you mongering 7 days a week?

Ill leave the monerging prices to you boys, definitely not needed ;)

For what its worth I was referring to flights from Australia, there were 5 internal flights.

Trains between the capital Balkan cities aren't cheap , car hire in Romania to visit Timisoara, Bucharest, the Transfagarasan and to drive down the black sea coast to Sunny Beach, Varna, Burgas and then onto Serbia, trips from Sarajevo to Mostar, Srebrenica and Visegrad, blew a tone in Belgrade partying - I envy you Total Power the women are a blast here. Thats just these few places, of course went onto Hungry, Czech Republic, Poland and my other favourite the Baltics and finished off in Germany for Oktoberfest.

I dont do things half arsed. Cant handle hostels now im a bit older, to many Aussie bogans all over the place ruin my experience in foreign countries. Stayed in cheap apartments/ hotels, ate out everywhere, didnt hold back when partying.

Had a blast.

What do you do in that party of the world Total Power? Would like to end up there one day.

Cheers for the help guys. Anyone have any good websites?

Yeah I'll be going all out when I'm there Scream, I'm usually out 3 times a week in Melbourne anyway.
If you have a real crack at a club in Belgrade (for example) how much are you looking at spending?
Another question, does an Aussie accent do any favours over there in regards to the fairer sex?

Ill leave the monerging prices to you boys, definitely not needed ;)

For what its worth I was referring to flights from Australia, there were 5 internal flights.

Trains between the capital Balkan cities aren't cheap , car hire in Romania to visit Timisoara, Bucharest, the Transfagarasan and to drive down the black sea coast to Sunny Beach, Varna, Burgas and then onto Serbia, trips from Sarajevo to Mostar, Srebrenica and Visegrad, blew a tone in Belgrade partying - I envy you Total Power the women are a blast here. Thats just these few places, of course went onto Hungry, Czech Republic, Poland and my other favourite the Baltics and finished off in Germany for Oktoberfest.

I dont do things half arsed. Cant handle hostels now im a bit older, to many Aussie bogans all over the place ruin my experience in foreign countries. Stayed in cheap apartments/ hotels, ate out everywhere, didnt hold back when partying.

Had a blast.

What do you do in that party of the world Total Power? Would like to end up there one day.

I work in Switzerland as an asset manager mate, my wife is Bulgarian..hence i live in Bulgaria and also have a house in Serbia, i moved here in 2011 when i got married and i can work from anywhere in europe, as long as i pay a visit to Switzerland every month.Its only a short flight from Sofia :) so i travel every month, but i am enjoying my life here. I have a beautiful wife and life is good..whatelse can i say?

This part of the world, specially Bulgaria is still underrated and hidden from Aussie bogans (thank god, i cringe everytime i hear the accent to be honest. I know about 10 other australians who live here teaching English in American University in Bulgaria..earning a decent wage.Taxes are incredibly low (10%), which suits me (my swiss income ;)) and women....well lets just say if i was single.............. :D lets leave it at that.

Scream if you plan to come over to this part of the world, just send me a PM, we can get a beer, which is oh...ever so cheap.Never had a draft beer for $1 a pint ...even in Bali LOL

I work in Switzerland as an asset manager mate, my wife is Bulgarian..hence i live in Bulgaria and also have a house in Serbia, i moved here in 2011 when i got married and i can work from anywhere in europe, as long as i pay a visit to Switzerland every month.Its only a short flight from Sofia :) so i travel every month, but i am enjoying my life here. I have a beautiful wife and life is good..whatelse can i say?

This part of the world, specially Bulgaria is still underrated and hidden from Aussie bogans (thank god, i cringe everytime i hear the accent to be honest. I know about 10 other australians who live here teaching English in American University in Bulgaria..earning a decent wage.Taxes are incredibly low (10%), which suits me (my swiss income ;)) and women....well lets just say if i was single.............. :D lets leave it at that.

Scream if you plan to come over to this part of the world, just send me a PM, we can get a beer, which is oh...ever so cheap.Never had a draft beer for $1 a pint ...even in Bali LOL

Thats sensational mate, living the dream!

I hope for your (and my) sake it remains hidden, I find the tourist saturation of Western Europe unbearable and would hate for it to work its way to the balkans. Would love to grab a beer - enjoyed Bulgarian and Romanian beers immensely, unfortunately just returned late last year from my second trip to the balkans.. will be a little while before im back there again.

Will take a rain check for now, Sofia is one place that I have not been to!

Cheers for the help guys. Anyone have any good websites?

Yeah I'll be going all out when I'm there Scream, I'm usually out 3 times a week in Melbourne anyway.
If you have a real crack at a club in Belgrade (for example) how much are you looking at spending?
Another question, does an Aussie accent do any favours over there in regards to the fairer sex?

Your a novelty so it definitely does help. I always head to wear the locals go to enhance my experience, no pub crawls or hostel nights or whatever. Do this and you will enjoy yourself... especially in Belgrade. Its mecca.

I implore you to do some investigations into the balkan formation and history. Im always reading about it and find it more fascinating than virtually any other significant historical wars/ events.

Thats sensational mate, living the dream!

I hope for your (and my) sake it remains hidden, I find the tourist saturation of Western Europe unbearable and would hate for it to work its way to the balkans. Would love to grab a beer - enjoyed Bulgarian and Romanian beers immensely, unfortunately just returned late last year from my second trip to the balkans.. will be a little while before im back there again.

Will take a rain check for now, Sofia is one place that I have not been to!
I would say Belgrade has more Aussies than Bulgaria.According to the census, theres a total number of 34 Aussies living in Bulgaria.About 20 or so in Sofia and the rest along the coast.Before i came here a lot of people told me, oh its dangerous, theres corruption, mafia, bureaucratic administration, i will get robbed blah blah, 2 years here and i never had a problem or heard anyone having a problem. This country has been good to me, its incredibly cheap to live here (for $1,500 a month, i can lead a grand lifestyle), taxis are cheap, beer is cheap, food is cheap and lastly renting an apartment is cheap.I rent a penthouse in the middle of the city and i am only paying $700 a month for that.You are right i am living a dream :) , never thought i would end up in Bulgaria, i was living in Zurich for over 8 years before moving here..and i am glad i did, i dont have to pay rip off prices for a drink or dining out.

Your a novelty so it definitely does help. I always head to wear the locals go to enhance my experience, no pub crawls or hostel nights or whatever. Do this and you will enjoy yourself... especially in Belgrade. Its mecca.

I implore you to do some investigations into the balkan formation and history. Im always reading about it and find it more fascinating than virtually any other significant historical wars/ events.

I've always been interested with the history surrounding the Balkans, probably the topic I'm most knowledgeable about regarding history and politics.

Forming some ideas atm, from recommendations I've received so far I'm locking in Budapest, Belgrade and Djubrovnik. Know of any hidden gems?

Not so much hidden gems but not completely over run yet, in no particular order:

Mostar in Bosnia, stay at Majdas Hostel and do Bata's tour, it is crazy, and a great way to get a first hand perspective on the war and life in Bosnia (there are reviews of the tour around that explain it better than I could) sit in the back of the van if you can. Mostar itself is a pretty lively town when there are people around, and the war is still extremely visible, I recommend climbing the old Bank building, its where many snipers were stationed and is still full of war graffiti and shells.

I really liked Plitvice National Park in Croatia, I little difficult to get to and not too much else around it. Djubrovnik can get pretty busy and is a bit more expensive but is pretty good.

Montenegro... pretty much all of it! I loved this country... The bay of Kotor is pretty amazing, as is Kotor town itself. Budva is just one big party, beaches all day or out on the water followed by beach bars in the evenings and nightclubs all night... It is a pretty fun place to be, and cheap as... a couple litres of beer or a couple shots for a euro, even the nightclubs, and the girls are stunning. And definately get out of the city and into the mountains, I hired a car with another traveller for a few day to go to some of the national parks, Biogradska national park was great, and the drive there one of the best roads I have ever driven...

Tirana in Albania gets a bit of a bad rep, but I quite enjoyed it, and Berati and lake Ohrid are pretty good.

Macedonia was about a quiet a place I have been for other tourists, more lake Ohrid and the Pelagonia region is worth a visit.

Kosovo not so much to see, but if you are interested in Balkan history there is a bit to see and do. Pristina can be fun at night.

Belgrade - party capital, not much else needed... will admit didn't like serbia as much as the rest of the Balkans

Big fan of Brasov in Romania... fun town, with all the highlights of Transylvannia within easy day trips, fantastic place for some afternoon beers in the town sqare watching locals bands play, and at night a lot of cool bars to hang out in... try the music bar, its halfway along the main walking street in the old town, free absinthe from the promotional girls. It is a bit more of a tourist town though.

Bulgaria- Plovdiv and Rila, the monestary at Rila is worth visiting

Turkey - getting a bit far south now, but Istanbul is one of the great cities in the world in my opinion. And if you happen to be out of bed in the early morning (7am) sit in the sqaure between the Blue mosque and Hagia Sofia... the only time Istanbul is quiet. One place a little quieter than the rest of Istanbul is Chora Church, and just maybe a couple hundred meters north are the old ruined walls, There is a major road running through between two old towers and if you stay on the inside of the walls and turn left maybe 50m down the road there is some steps that climb the old walls, once on the walls there is another set of steps going up further, so steep and narrow (maybe 5cm in depth and a foot or 2 wide, the go up about 10m or so and then it becomes easier... but at the top is the best view of Istanbul... from a very different perspective. The rest of Turkey is great (also where I met my wife).

I spent a few months going through the Balkans about 18 months ago, and I can't wait to go back... one of my favourite places... Eastern Europe is such a large area and I have only really talked about the Balkans and southern countries. I was planning to get further north but never made it.

for websites balkanology.com gives a reasonable overview of each country...and from there the forums on trip advisor and thorntree can be good, as long as you filter out the rubbish

I stayed in mostly hostels, and a few homes of people where they rented out a room, In the balkans there arent so many Aussies, most of the time it was people from all over the world with a similar outlook as myself when it comes to travelling, Djubrovnik (and Istanbul to a certain extent) are the only two where the number of tourists became annoying and drove prices up. I did take a couple flights but if you take them out you could pretty comfortably travel through here on 50-60 Aus a day... including night time activities (drinking), maybe a little more if you want to add a car rental or nicer accomodation every now and then... sights are cheap throughout most (except Turkey)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back