Eastern FL - Division 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

That is sad news. I was hoping he had made a successful recovery from the fire. My condolences to his family.
He was a one of a kind for sure.:(

Such sad news. RIP. Does anybody know exactly what he died of?
Heart attack 3 days ago ,died yesterday.EFL forum wise I could never work out where this guy was coming from and had the opportunity to speak to him at Montrose a season or so ago but said no.Reading FB comments on the South Croydon FB page perhaps I should have.RIP Ralph.

Noble Park looked good yesterday and won by 10 goals. Margin blew out in the last due to Pascoe Vale having limited rotations. Game played in good spirits.

What a ground. The best set up I've seen!!

Eye opening Turbo. There is numerous great set-ups in the East but Noble Park does clearly knock them all off.
Will be interesting to see the new Norwood set-up and East Ringwood redevelopment commences shortly. Montrose also quite impressive.

Pretty tough competition out this way at the top end.

East Ringwood beat Narre Warren by a couple of goals on the weekend in a good hit out.
Any other news from practice matches over the weekend

I heard from one of micks work mates at Fairhills, that he had a bleed in his brain. Was on life support for a while but couldn't pull thru. He didn't think it had anything to do with the fire. Poor bugger. Had a tough couple of years, and sad way to go. Condolences to his family and friends.

Can any one tell me what happens if a club goes over their allocated points by accident or by doing a sneaky.
Do they lose their 4 points if they win? Fined? If so how much. And what would happen if they lose? Score gets wiped?

Also heard The EFL went to water when the big four clubs sooked about the allocated points being to low so decided to let them have their way and make it higher . True?? If so pretty piss poor

I went down for a look on the weekend at my first game of EFL at Noble Park and was really impressed with the footy.

Who would be the best players running around in that comp? Is it a league suited to dominant big men or a younger players competition?

Can any one tell me what happens if a club goes over their allocated points by accident or by doing a sneaky.
Do they lose their 4 points if they win? Fined? If so how much. And what would happen if they lose? Score gets wiped?

Also heard The EFL went to water when the big four clubs sooked about the allocated points being to low so decided to let them have their way and make it higher . True?? If so pretty piss poor
My understanding is 2016 is an education year so if you go over the points you get a please explain and told please don't do it again, if it keeps happening then points will be taken off. However to get this situation where a team loses points it would need to keep happening it each week and ignoring the EFL request to be under the limit.

I haven't heard about EFL allowing higher points to the top four clubs, I thought most metro leagues will have the same maximum limits. I think, please correct me here if wrong, EDFL, NFL, WRFL and EFL have agreed to 50 points with the intention to get to 45pts by 2018.

My understanding is 2016 is an education year so if you go over the points you get a please explain and told please don't do it again, if it keeps happening then points will be taken off. However to get this situation where a team loses points it would need to keep happening it each week and ignoring the EFL request to be under the limit.

I haven't heard about EFL allowing higher points to the top four clubs, I thought most metro leagues will have the same maximum limits. I think, please correct me here if wrong, EDFL, NFL, WRFL and EFL have agreed to 50 points with the intention to get to 45pts by 2018.

2016 isn't an education season - you are unable to play with a team of over 50 points. The only way someone could play with over 50 is to make a manual change on the teamsheet, as the electronic system used will not allow a submission with a team over 50 points. There has been a full audit by the League of all clubs so everyone knows where all players stand. A club going over will lose points.

The whole Big 4 meeting & EFL going to water is absolute Cr@p. The whole system was rushed in by AFL Victoria and what was to be a transition year has become the implementation year. The EFL are following the system as are practically all leagues within the state at 50 points. There has been no leeway given to any clubs and there will not be for 2016.

The Big 4 are not the highest points carriers for 2016. Another misconception within the League.

2016 isn't an education season - you are unable to play with a team of over 50 points. The only way someone could play with over 50 is to make a manual change on the teamsheet, as the electronic system used will not allow a submission with a team over 50 points. There has been a full audit by the League of all clubs so everyone knows where all players stand. A club going over will lose points.

The whole Big 4 meeting & EFL going to water is absolute Cr@p. The whole system was rushed in by AFL Victoria and what was to be a transition year has become the implementation year. The EFL are following the system as are practically all leagues within the state at 50 points. There has been no leeway given to any clubs and there will not be for 2016.

The Big 4 are not the highest points carriers for 2016. Another misconception within the League.

Correction - EFL with 50 Points is very high, especially when you take into account that anyone who played with an EFL club last year and is playing there again was given a 2 point discount. - at that level it has had no impact on slowing recruiting in this year - look at FTG in 4th Division

YVMDFL is 40 Points, Bendigo Football League - the top 5 from last year is 36 points, and the bottom 5 sides have 40 points, Ovens and Murray have 42 points. All last year players have been given a 1 point discount in those leagues.

The only ones up around 50 points are the big spending leagues such as the EFL, with a history of a number of clubs which have run into financial problems over the last few years.

Hopefully common sense prevails and a tighter points cap is set up which allows some recruiting, but also encourages those teams which are developing their own players, and discourages the crazy increase in player payments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest the Player points for this week based on selected teams is as follows:
Doncaster 49
Vermont 47
Knox 41
Norwood 37
Montrose 37
East Ringwood 36
Balwyn 34 (we are all in trouble with plenty or room to recruit further with those staying on next year reducing by 1 point)
Noble Park 32
Blackburn 32
North Ringwood 31
South Croydon 28 (Only have 2 players worth more than 1 point)

Does anyone know why the game between Sth Croydon and East Ringwood u/19's didn't go ahead on the weekend? Both teams have been credited with a bye and no one got the 4 points. Is this correct or did one team fold for the day/year? Both sides had played the previous 3 rounds

Does anyone know why the game between Sth Croydon and East Ringwood u/19's didn't go ahead on the weekend? Both teams have been credited with a bye and no one got the 4 points. Is this correct or did one team fold for the day/year? Both sides had played the previous 3 rounds
Both teams could've played. Apparently some sort of weird bye system the efl have put into place due to Balwyn not fielding a 19s.

Both teams could've played. Apparently some sort of weird bye system the efl have put into place due to Balwyn not fielding a 19s.
Yes that is pretty weird! So otherwise instead of playing a game the EFL decided to stand down two u/19's sides because Balwyn would rather put loads of money into their senior side and not into u/19 development, make sense!

Is the standard of Div 1 in decline or is it more that the standard of Div 2 is getting so much stronger? All promoted teams from Div 2 in the past 4 years have acquitted themselves extremely well. Rowville in 2013 nearly made the finals. Montrose in 2013 had 13 wins and finished 3rd after home and away games. North Ringwood won 6 games last year and easily avoided relegation. Doncaster have won 4 of 6 so far and could be sitting on top as the only undefeated team. Unlucky to lose by 1pt to Blackburn in Rd 1 and other loss was to Knox which on form you would have expected them to win. Then the teams that have been relegated from Div 1 to Div 2 have not been dominant once going down. On face value it would seem that Div 2 is becoming far stronger.

Is the standard of Div 1 in decline or is it more that the standard of Div 2 is getting so much stronger? All promoted teams from Div 2 in the past 4 years have acquitted themselves extremely well. Rowville in 2013 nearly made the finals. Montrose in 2013 had 13 wins and finished 3rd after home and away games. North Ringwood won 6 games last year and easily avoided relegation. Doncaster have won 4 of 6 so far and could be sitting on top as the only undefeated team. Unlucky to lose by 1pt to Blackburn in Rd 1 and other loss was to Knox which on form you would have expected them to win. Then the teams that have been relegated from Div 1 to Div 2 have not been dominant once going down. On face value it would seem that Div 2 is becoming far stronger.
The logic you use Dave is fair and reasonable but the weighted draw given to promoted sides each year certainly helps their transition year. Rowville and their powerful junior setup always ensured a strong Div 1 presence . Montrose were Div 2 powers for 3 years before promotion so were well setup to tackle the higher div. North Ringwood haven't set the world on fire but have been solid enough. Doncaster's test is coming but obviously has the financial strength in being able to recruit players of the calibre of Fogarty , Caruso , Myors, Saville , Ryan etc on top their ex AFL stars this standing them in good stead to compete well. In broad terms div 1 is split into a very strong 3or 4 clubs , the next 3 or 4 competing hard then 3or 4 wondering whether being in div 1 is worth it. The Div 2 andDiv 3 comps are by and large quite competitive throughout and well Div 4 is a 2 or 3 horse race at best .

Dave - all of those 4 sides mentioned were very good dominant 2nd Division sides. I don't see any 2nd Division sides as strong as those premiers on the radar for the next couple of years. The difference between these premier sides and the bottom half of 1st Division is immaterial. The ability to compete with the top 1st Division sides consistently is where the difficulty lies.

From a Doncaster perspective just a couple of points. The weighted draw for Doncaster is not as favourable as it has been for past 2nd Division Premiers, due to requests to play a couple of strong local competitors twice. People tend to just refer to the financial clout of Doncaster, yet their 19s have knocked off
clubs that receive credit for having powerful junior set-ups already in 2016. They have had at least one 19s player play in each senior game in 2016 & are still yet to field a full strength side due to injury or unavailability over & above those playing seniors. They may not be the best side in it but it is a fair effort for a club that battles harder than the large majority in all 4 Divisions just to get a 19s side together.

If a club can get both junior development & recruiting right it is then they may have a sustained ability to complete with the traditional big boys. Rowville appear to be heading in the right direction hopefully others can follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back