News Easton Wood retires

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my favourite dogs players. seems a real ‘heart and soul’ team player.

The way he’s finished with one year left just confirms my thoughts. Classy

He had this to say in the Age

“No matter how much I was getting paid next year, if I felt like I was just rocking up to get a pay cheque knowing that ‘jeez at any moment if I pinged a string or I got dropped that I could just pull the pin’ and leave the club high and dry, I’d feel sick about that. I don’t think I’d be able to ever reconcile that, no matter how much was coming back the other way,” Wood told The Age.
So, having first thought about the idea of a premature retirement as early as May, Wood - after discussions with wife Tiff and a close circle of friends - has decided to forego his 2022 contract, retiring from the AFL after 188 games since being drafted at pick 43 out of high school at the end of 2007.

He didn't want to leave the club high and dry and unable to replace him if his hammies just gave up.

He didn't want to leave the club high and dry and unable to replace him if his hammies just gave up.

That's awesome. The guy will always be a club legend for captaining them to their drought breaking flag, so to make a selfless gesture like that one the way out reeks of class. Congrats to him on a great career.

Just epitiomzies what a side before self type of player and person he is.

Will rightfully be remembered as a Bulldogs Immortal.

He looked past it this year. Absolutely lost a yard of pace and honestly didn't look great in 2020 either

But,

AA, Premiership Captain, Cool cowboy name, B+F. 188 games and coming from an earlier career where it seemed like he would play 5 games then miss 4 with injury, What else could you hope to achieve as a player? His peak was bloody good

Bit ridiculous this is allowed under the current rules.
Not an issue in this case. He's retired, he won't play next year, he doesn't get his pay. No drama at all.

There's times where retirements are concerning to me: Free agents, guys who take payouts then get redrafted to the rookie list, big backended contracts. But there's no reason why the Dogs should have to count money in the cap for a player who's genuinely retired and happy to end his contract a year earlier.

He's a smart and great guy so I've got no doubt he'll go on to good things but it is interesting to know what fringe players are earning these days, even former captain fringe players. The Eagles said they wanted to recontract Vardy but couldn't make him a financial offer that was worth him playing on, which to me means they really aren't paying much. He's more of a fringe player than Wood but not by a lot.

200k plus game bonuses? Less? More? Post covid the financial sacrifices of playing 1 more year might not be what they used to be, especially if you aren't guaranteed games. It's not like he would've signed on for 500k next year.

That's not to sound rude to Wood but if he pinged a hammy, didn't play a game and retired mid year he might not be sacrificing much money at all. Hence the tens of thousands line.

Obviously someone had the thought - are vaccine mandates costing the game players - and at this stage the answer seems overwhelmingly no. But covid taking money from the game might be costing fringe players. Another reason the league should look at capping the top end salaries too I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A loud voice on removing gambling from the sporting hemisphere. A quality human and elite player at his best. Congratulations on a great career.

I played footy with an ex-Dog who was at the club when Easton arrived. Apparently was still just a kid and absolutely destroying the older, bigger blokes in all the strength testing. His natural athletic ability was off the charts and despite having a sensational career, you wonder just what heights he could have reached with better luck on the injury front.

One of those very special players for the commentators, who was referred to by his first name and surname, whilst the other plebs on the field only warranted being referred to by their surname. :)

He's a smart and great guy so I've got no doubt he'll go on to good things but it is interesting to know what fringe players are earning these days, even former captain fringe players. The Eagles said they wanted to recontract Vardy but couldn't make him a financial offer that was worth him playing on, which to me means they really aren't paying much. He's more of a fringe player than Wood but not by a lot.

200k plus game bonuses? Less? More? Post covid the financial sacrifices of playing 1 more year might not be what they used to be, especially if you aren't guaranteed games. It's not like he would've signed on for 500k next year.

That's not to sound rude to Wood but if he pinged a hammy, didn't play a game and retired mid year he might not be sacrificing much money at all. Hence the tens of thousands line.

Obviously someone had the thought - are vaccine mandates costing the game players - and at this stage the answer seems overwhelmingly no. But covid taking money from the game might be costing fringe players. Another reason the league should look at capping the top end salaries too I think.
It's a point he made himself, although not about the money, but about being dropped and forced into retirement, not on his own terms. This way he gets to choose the moment. It's a generous gesture to the club, enabling them to recruit someone else.

Interesting timing with the retirement. Coincidences…?
What coincidence are you thinking about? He's double vaxed by the way ;).

A loud voice on removing gambling from the sporting hemisphere. A quality human and elite player at his best. Congratulations on a great career.

I played footy with an ex-Dog who was at the club when Easton arrived. Apparently was still just a kid and absolutely destroying the older, bigger blokes in all the strength testing. His natural athletic ability was off the charts and despite having a sensational career, you wonder just what heights he could have reached with better luck on the injury front.

Fairly sure his parents were both Olympians so not a bad athletic stock. He was definitely an athlete masquerading as a footballer early days. Had a short peak period where he made A.A. Solid citizen on and off the field.

Terrific player and even better bloke.

Don't think this was out of the blue. Heard him on the radio and it seemed like he was considering retirement and was concerned about his body.

Well done to him. Absolute Dogs legend.

Was a.period where he was intercept marking absolute everything.

Can't win a flag without this type of character.

Last edited:
Terrific player and even better bloke.

Don't think this was out of the blue. Heard him on the radio and it seemed like he was considering retirement and was concerned about his body.

Well done to him. Absolute Dogs legend.

Was a.period where he was intercept marking absolute everything.

Can't win a flag without this type of character.

Sounds like he was considering it in May, that would have coincided with his last hammy.

Sounds like he was considering it in May, that would have coincided with his last hammy.
Said he thought it was the end then, but made it back, but realised then he wasn’t the player he’d previously been. The idea took hold.

A bit like Lin Jong, just got the latest in a long series of injuries, and they both realised they couldn’t keep doing it.

He looked done in the Preliminary vs Port.

Very honourable way to go and he comes across as the kind of person who'd want to walk into the sunset with little fuss and attention.

Our trade period probably indicated the decision had been made a while ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back