Eating red meat, yes or no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Important to differentiate between red meat and processed meat as in research literature there is quite a difference between the 2 in regards to potential negative “side effects”

Do what makes you happy and brings the most love into his realm we live in.

I personally havent eaten red meat for over two years

There are studies that link red meat with bowel cancer, but there are studies that link a lot of other things with a lot of other diseases too, so just be aware and make your own decision.

Avoiding processed goods where possible is also advised, but it depends how much you care.
Need to factor in those 2 studies linking red meat were only case control studies, and even then it was only processed meat not actual red meat. There's also more reliable prospective studies that show no significant associations with red meat (or bacon) and cancer

Need to factor in those 2 studies linking red meat were only case control studies, and even then it was only processed meat not actual red meat. There's also more reliable prospective studies that show no significant associations with red meat (or bacon) and cancer

It’s also extremely difficult to account for other lifestyle factors eg vegetarians and vegans on the whole are likely to be more health conscious than the rest of the population so you’d expect them to live longer irrespective of meat consumption.
I can’t remember what they were investigating, but there was a study done (or someone made a claim) comparing Amish vs Western (iirc) that wanted to pin point higher life expectancy one one factor (and this facor wasn’t higher physical activity rates, or decrease/negligible tobacco use and alcohol consumption)

It’s also extremely difficult to account for other lifestyle factors eg vegetarians and vegans on the whole are likely to be more health conscious than the rest of the population so you’d expect them to live longer irrespective of meat consumption.
I can’t remember what they were investigating, but there was a study done (or someone made a claim) comparing Amish vs Western (iirc) that wanted to pin point higher life expectancy one one factor (and this facor wasn’t higher physical activity rates, or decrease/negligible tobacco use and alcohol consumption)
Are you thinking of the 7 Blue Zones? Loma Linda were Seventh Day Adventists and fitted that category, no drugs, smoking, booze or anything unhealthy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you thinking of the 7 Blue Zones? Loma Linda were Seventh Day Adventists and fitted that category, no drugs, smoking, booze or anything unhealthy

Nah it was definitely Amish
I’m almost certain it was posted in the Diet/Nutrition thread here earlier in the year.
One of the veg-guys posted it and it end up turning into a flame war where a few guys got suspended

Layne Norton did a good video on this when WHO realised their findings. I'm paraphrasing here but they claimed it was an 18% increase but that as on the back the real increase was 5% to 6%.

If you search his youtube channel its easy enough to find.

I think there are more than 2 studies that link red meat to an increased risk of bowel cancer, however there are probably also studies that discount it, although I havent read them. Studies arent perfect, its not an overwhelmingly obvious link like smoking and cancer.

I think there are more than 2 studies that link red meat to an increased risk of bowel cancer, however there are probably also studies that discount it, although I havent read them. Studies arent perfect, its not an overwhelmingly obvious link like smoking and cancer.
No one to my knowledge have been able to produce more than 2. Even WHO only produced 2 when they put the warning out.

I've had steak and lamb this week, will probably have bacon tomorrow for breakfast

I like red meat so I eat it, it's delicious

It's probably better for the environment if we stopped eating beef, based on the impact cows and grazing have on the environment but I'm not sure how bad a steak really is for you

For those playing along at home, WHO the same organisation that announced this recommendation also just reneged on having Robert Mugabe as an ambassador......go figure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back