swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
After a disappointing Grand Final, it has not been a great season so far. Injuries galore has not helped at all but that doesn't stop me from being #eco this season.

Denial after the GWS game, acceptance stage reached before the Freo game. Result today went as expected. Now watch as the team gets our hopes up against Norf.

Post your #eco stories here. (Aka emotionally checked out...)

Last edited:

I would describe my #eco story in 2023 as a slow descent into insanity, Tom Hanks-in-Cast Away style. On Monday I will be going to Rebel Sports and buying my Wilson volleyball.

Thanks Swans. I hope you're happy.

In all seriousness, I feel like my ability to be optimistic and patient has withered away with each disappointing loss. We're finding new ways to lose each week - s**t forward 50 entries against Melbourne & Port; centre clearance massacre against Geelong; defensive stoppage massacre against GWS; s**t goalkicking against Collingwood; horrible skills and lack of smarts against Freo.

It makes it so much harder to adopt a "If we just fix this..." attitude after each loss.

The helplessness sucks. Watching important players go down and watching inferior replacements simply not doing a good enough job is so frustrating. I can only imagine how frustrated Horse must be, given that none of the parties are to blame.

I think the hope now comes from the journey ahead. Where we need to get to and what we need to do to get there. I'd like us to use the VFL better to give players more of a chance to really show what they can do and put their hands up (including playing in-form performers in the reserves midfield so we can get a better idea of their readiness for senior footy.)

I also want to see the senior midfield adjust more. Try new structures and set-ups, as the current one isn't working at all (and FFS give up on the stupid Rowbottom as negating mid experiment!!!) <--- that was the island me talking.

I wish I could ECO. Unfortunately care too much. It's ruining my weekends and weeks. Work is batshit crazy, was 20 minutes and a last minute CRT away from teaching 50 kids at once 2 days ago and I'm ******* exhausted. The least the club could do would be win a ******* game. I swear, if we lose to Norf I may well go for a swim in the Yarra in the hope some brain eating parasite infects me and prevents me from remembering what AFL footy actually is.

Watching some of our youngsters at critical stages of their development getting shafted by Horse.

Gus to forward pocket.

Gould to nowhere (whilst our best midfielder gets played in his spot).

Campbell stuck on the half-back flank.

Stephens starts the year brightly, only to be dumped yet again after a couple of quiet weeks.

Deflating for supporters.

And doubtless even more deflating for the young players.

And all the while, a 36 year old in absolutely appalling form retains his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that shits me is how we pissed away a bit of a golden era.

If you followed the swans from even 1996 to 2022 you have seen some of the greatest to ever play for this club we won 2 flags
2 is good but it feels massively under when you actually look at the players we had.

But i still feel like we are this club who wants to make sure it hypes up the big name and be competitive at the sake of
improvement, like the brand is still this fickle thing

I dunno where I am going here, I just love this team so maybe that's my flaw, stupidly struggle to even go oh well and move on, you feel it's a piece of you, you want it to be respected and well run

Watching some of our youngsters at critical stages of their development getting shafted by Horse.

Gus to forward pocket.

Gould to nowhere (whilst our best midfielder gets played in his spot).

Campbell stuck on the half-back flank.

Stephens starts the year brightly, only to be dumped yet again after a couple of quiet weeks.

Deflating for supporters.

And doubtless even more deflating for the young players.

And all the while, a 36 year old in absolutely appalling form retains his spot.
Parker isn't 36

Well, I'll be in Europe next week, so I'm going to ECO by not paying to watch matches over there.

I'll still turn up to see scores and visit the board, but I think I checked out after the Geelong loss. We have a soft team that just gives up. I can watch a lot, but I can't watch a team give up.

Parker isn't 36

I don't think he is near the worst of our problems.

That said I have never liked the seniority system the Club has endorsed. I don't think it worked for our mids during the past decade. Like the Oz Test team it is harder to get out than in.

I think H and co have moved on a bit from favouring duds like The GRohan irrespective of their performances.

I don't think he is near the worst of our problems.

That said I have never liked the seniority system the Club has endorsed. I don't think it worked for our mids during the past decade. Like the Oz Test team it is harder to get out than in.

I think H and co have moved on a bit from favouring duds like The GRohan irrespective of their performances.
It was said in jest Horace. I do agree with your sentiment though.

Well, I'll be in Europe next week, so I'm going to ECO by not paying to watch matches over there.

I'll still turn up to see scores and visit the board, but I think I checked out after the Geelong loss. We have a soft team that just gives up. I can watch a lot, but I can't watch a team give up.
That is me last week and next. But I think it happened against Melbourne for me. It was the same style of loss as the GF was. It showed we did nothing to fix our biggest issue (what to do when the pressure hits us)

we were playing s**t, injuries will just excuse the crap and delay fixing issues

plus we will be extra s**t

Its really salt in the wound stuff honestly you gotta take your chances never know how s**t the next season can be.

But yes injuries will be a massive scapegoat not sure we were even a contender with a full list to chose from as evidenced against Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back