Ed Cowan

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a difference in that last season was one of those seasons Klinger has had throughout his career which explains why he never played test cricket: he averaged 23

Yeah for all the talk about Klinger being unlucky he had some truely disgusting seasons over the years.

Code:
Michael Klinger
Season  Sta Mat Inns NO Runs  HS   Ave    BF    SRATE 100 50 0
2005/06 VIC   7   13  1  263 107   21.91   657  40.03   1  0 2
2006/07 VIC   5   10  1  340 102   37.77   682  49.85   1  1 1
2007/08 VIC   4    7  1  158  60   26.33   486  32.51   0  1 1
2008/09  SA  10   19  2 1203 255   70.76  2702  44.52   4  4 1
2009/10  SA  10   19  5  886 207*  63.28  1961  45.18   2  5 0
2010/11  SA   8   15  0  346 100   23.06   981  35.27   1  2 3
2011/12  SA  10   19  1  835 219*  46.38  1813  46.05   1  4 0
2012/13  SA   9   18  1  330  56   19.41   825  40.00   0  1 0
2013/14  SA   9   16  1  568 213   37.86  1236  45.95   2  2 3 
2014/15  WA  11   20  2 1046 190   58.11  2274  46.01   4  3 1
2015/16  WA  10   16  3  617 202*  47.46  1114  55.38   2  3 1
2016/17  WA  10   18  0  431  65   23.94  1007  42.80   0  4 2

2010/11 and 2012/13 really standing out because that was pretty much when the big opportunities in the test team opened up.

Wut?

He went back, clearly accepted the challenge, and has done everything asked of him.

I dunno. To me it feels like anyone moving to NSW would do so under the understanding that players of national interest will get priority.
Nothing else explains some of the really weird and unbalanced lineups NSW have fielded, often to their own detriment.

I really like Ed Cowan, both on and off the field. But I don't see the issue here, tbh. Picking Cowan based on what he did six to twelve months ago would be an odd thing to do, particularly when it would be ahead of a guy making runs.

Wut?

He went back, clearly accepted the challenge, and has done everything asked of him.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/ed-c...news-story/14f4ce955864cc1c3a1e7fcba35af62d?=

The former Test opener only signed a new one-year deal with the state less than a month ago, but said it was time to prioritise his family ahead of cricket.

He will return to his home state of NSW.

Cowan, who has played 18 Tests for Australia, said he still had a desire to play Test cricket, but realises the move north could hinder his chances and that “it’s family first from here”.

“I might end up playing club cricket for Sydney Uni next year and that’s the only cricket I play,” he said.

Cowan said he’s had no contact with NSW Cricket, who he said are a strong unit.

Cowan is the third leading run scorer in the Shield competition this year

I really like Ed Cowan, both on and off the field. But I don't see the issue here, tbh. Picking Cowan based on what he did six to twelve months ago would be an odd thing to do, particularly when it would be ahead of a guy making runs.

So if you were picking a test side and Australia didn’t play between September and February, you’d drop David Warner if another player was in better form in a different format of cricket?

I have no sympathy for the bloke.

Last year he was going to play a game in our association with another of his ex-Tassie teammates in ................ wait for it ................. D-Grade.

This is a synthetic grade where guys who have very limited ability run around and enjoy themselves playing on postage stamp sized grounds.

What a hero Big Ed is !!

Well done on trying to make this thread about yourself when no one asked you to. Would have thought it would be a cool story for a bunch of hacks to say they played against a test cricketer anyway.

So if you were picking a test side and Australia didn’t play between September and February, you’d drop David Warner if another player was in better form in a different format of cricket?
If Player A and Player B had played in the same matches in the immediate lead-up, and Player B had scored 2.5 times as many runs, then backed it up with 200 not out, even in a lesser match, then you'd have to have the discussion, surely. And it shouldn't be a surprise that the discussion would end in the guy making runs getting picked.

Because it is a professional competition.

England counties pick 42 year olds. Doesn’t seem to have stopped their national side being competitive.

Hell, why don’t NRL sides just cut everybody who won’t play Origin.

A-League could spear everyone who won’t play in a World Cup to bring in an 18-year-old.

For players like Christian cricket is their profession. Shield is their grand final. How is it fair to deny them that because some kid MIGHT play tests one day.
There are also a lot more county sides in England and they play across two divisions. Completely different from having only 5 state sides. I have no idea why you're losing it over this to be honest, players who aren't in the frame for test selection have always missed out in strong sides.

There are also a lot more county sides in England and they play across two divisions. Completely different from having only 5 state sides. I have no idea why you're losing it over this to be honest, players who aren't in the frame for test selection have always missed out in strong sides.

They’ve missed out because, as good as they are, they are behind 6 others on performances and team importance.

This sort of selection officially marks the point where the Shield goes from a historically significant competition to a glorified net session for a team who has forgotten how to pick a squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve missed out because, as good as they are, they are behind 6 others on performances and team importance.

This sort of selection officially marks the point where the Shield goes from a historically significant competition to a glorified net session for a team who has forgotten how to pick a squad.
Really? So things like this have never happened before?

He’s had plenty of chances to replicate his list a form in shield and hasn’t done it.

If they want to talk about picking a guy in form how can they ignore the leading shield batsman from the most recent season
They ignored the number 1 SS spinner last season, and took FIGJAM O'Keefe overseas......

What is your point?

I doubt he said that under the impression that he would make it into the side and then be not just their leading run scorer but the competition leading scorer

He went to NSW as the 3rd leading scorer in the competition and had no expectations that he would get picked in their top 6 at the time. Simple point really.

While your point is actually reasonable, OKeefe only played 2 matches, presumably because he was with the national squad/suspended, and in them he averaged 19 with the ball.
Mainly suspended, because he is a dugong.
Which strengthens my argument 10 fold, why was he selected?

However,

You've given me an "Actually Reasonable".

That's a first......

He went to NSW as the 3rd leading scorer in the competition and had no expectations that he would get picked in their top 6 at the time. Simple point really.

And he DID get picked. And took his opportunity.

If someone relocated to the Crows or Tigers and said they have no expectation of getting a starting spot, then they GET that spot, and win a B and F, do you think they would be happy if they got sat out in order to ‘have a look at’ a couple of rookies?

And he DID get picked. And took his opportunity.

If someone relocated to the Crows or Tigers and said they have no expectation of getting a starting spot, then they GET that spot, and win a B and F, do you think they would be happy if they got sat out in order to ‘have a look at’ a couple of rookies?

Ed understands, why can't you. It's not hard. NSW produce cricketers for Australia. Hughes has shown a lot of improvement in the short form the last two years and if he takes that across to the long form then he is a big chance to be the next cab off the rank for Australia. Sensible decision by NSW as Cowan will not play for Australia again. The end.

Ed understands, why can't you. It's not hard. NSW produce cricketers for Australia. Hughes has shown a lot of improvement in the short form the last two years and if he takes that across to the long form then he is a big chance to be the next cab off the rank for Australia. Sensible decision by NSW as Cowan will not play for Australia again. The end.

If he understood, he wouldn’t have gone on national tv 3 nights ago bemoaning the situation would he.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back