Ed Cowan

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don’t think on the grand scale of things, that a batsman cutting a ball so hard that backward point gets hit on the head and killed is at the pointy end of the risk ladder in Australian amateur sport.

Really ??

Go ask JLT or any of the other sports insurers if they would payout on a player getting injured as a result of playing against someone who is 5-6 levels higher in ability.

Whilst you can all laugh and think this is funny and not an issue, you obviously have had little to do with cricket administration.

We had a South African guy play B-Grade for us, I asked him if he bowled at all seeing as we knew he could bat, he said he wasn't good enough to be a net bowler when he played for one of the provinces U/19 team. He clean bowled two guys in his first over, he was very good so you have to wonder how good the regular bowlers were if he couldn't get a trundle in the nets.

One of Cowan's first-class teammates played in D-Grade, he rolled the arm over, he hit the opening batsmen in the arm twice and nearly sent him to hospital for x-rays even though he is recognised purely as a batsmen in the State team.

The point is, even first class players doing their non-preferred skill can be a handful for players of seriously lesser skills.

Some of the best fieldsmen I've seen have played in low grade suburban cricket

I've seen some very good fieldsmen in the lower grades too but I've seen way more who have very poor judgement of the ball off the bat as well, they are slow to react or get into position. That is why they are playing D-Grade cricket, they are incapable of matching it in a higher grade due to the speed of the game plus the velocity of the ball-strike.

Gents , I've obviously missed the start of this discussion. Why are you talking about this stuff
Because apparently Ed Cowan playing D-Grade local cricket is extremely dangerous.

Really ??

Go ask JLT or any of the other sports insurers if they would payout on a player getting injured as a result of playing against someone who is 5-6 levels higher in ability.

Whilst you can all laugh and think this is funny and not an issue, you obviously have had little to do with cricket administration.

We had a South African guy play B-Grade for us, I asked him if he bowled at all seeing as we knew he could bat, he said he wasn't good enough to be a net bowler when he played for one of the provinces U/19 team. He clean bowled two guys in his first over, he was very good so you have to wonder how good the regular bowlers were if he couldn't get a trundle in the nets.

One of Cowan's first-class teammates played in D-Grade, he rolled the arm over, he hit the opening batsmen in the arm twice and nearly sent him to hospital for x-rays even though he is recognised purely as a batsmen in the State team.

The point is, even first class players doing their non-preferred skill can be a handful for players of seriously lesser skills.

Fine. I’ll retrospectively sue someone for the time Chris Tremain broke my middle stump and any remaining sense of self worth.

‘We will insure a two-time world Super Middleweight champ fighting a primary school deputy principal in a combat sport, but we won’t cover a batsman who is getting hard leather thrown at HIM, lest he somehow hurt some plonker in the field with that most dangerous of acts, the cover drive.’

I accept that there's a boys club in Australian cricket, there always has been, ask Gary Cosier. Brett Geeves makes some good points but I feel there's a strong hint of resentment in his articles that he was never part of it.

You actually answered your own question.
Geevesy , never ever expected , any thing more for aussie selectors,as he is from bogan territory
In fact he has been ostracised by Cricket Tasmania, Administration ,because HE wrotw ill of Tassie cricket woeful performances over the past few years
He was not offered a cushy assistance coaching job, and has to make a living working 9 to 5 , and writing a few articles ( married with boy )
Like Cowan educated, and prepared to call a spade a shovel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hughes over Cowan was an awful call (Klinger, to compare dumped veteran to dumped veteran, was at least fairly ordinary in the Shield last year.)

But that's an awful column.
As I’ve said before, surely it was Maddison over Cowan? Hughes is a decent player and batted well.

Renshaw should be thanking his lucky stars that Cowan's not playing and scoring Shield runs at the moment! Think there'd be a case for change for the Ashes series given that Renshaw - whilst young and with potential - is in a pretty good rut at the minute.

Renshaw should be thanking his lucky stars that Cowan's not playing and scoring Shield runs at the moment! Think there'd be a case for change for the Ashes series given that Renshaw - whilst young and with potential - is in a pretty good rut at the minute.

There is zero chance they would have gone back to Cowan, none at all. He has been proven to be average at best at test level.

Cowans non selection seems pretty indicative of how bias selection is towards NSW players getting picked for Australia, why would they want to look at a 28yo who has only played 17 FC matches? if he was any good he would've moved states like any self respecting NSW player who can't crack the first XI (see Cowan, Mennie, Cooper, Christian) He should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Ashes... Would SA have selected Valente if Smith wanted a look at him? its an absolute debacle.

Cowan publicly supporting Mickey Arthur over 'homeworkgate' was probably very damaging from his prospects, especially as Arthur was removed soon afterwards and as a lot of Australian players were very unhappy over that saga, alienated him from his teammates.

Cowan publicly supporting Mickey Arthur over 'homeworkgate' was probably very damaging from his prospects, especially as Arthur was removed soon afterwards and as a lot of Australian players were very unhappy over that saga, alienated him from his teammates.
I dare say the main issue was that he was averaging 31 at test level and couldn't buy a run.

Can be pretty happy with that career. Didn't look like he was going to make it in his first few yeas with NSW but the move to Tassie invigorated his career.

Was probably the class below regular test cricketer and thus reflected his performances at test level, but nevertheless he thoroughly deserved the caps he got after scoring some big runs in sheffield shield.

Good bloke and has the brains to set up himself up well in post cricket life.

An Eastern Suburbs junior. Didn't come into the senior club after being sledged in the annual report by the under 16's manager for not being a team player.

He was a few years senior of Dave Warner and both played in the same local competition as Usman Khawaja who was a Randwick boy (Warner and Khawaja both opened up for Sydney Coastal for quite a few years - pretty formidable duo at junior club level). South Eastern Cricket Association was very strong through this period.

I dare say the main issue was that he was averaging 31 at test level and couldn't buy a run.
True, but he seemed to be a favourite under the Arthur regime and around 2013 and the way Australia were going as a batting lineup in that 2013 period, Clarke was pretty much the only certainty.

Certainly don't think it was unjustified to drop him when it occurred; in fact, he was probably lucky to last as long as he did for 18 consecutive Tests of mediocrity.

But if Arthur hadn't been sacked, he probably would've lasted at least as long as the entire 2013 away Ashes series.

Cowan's extended run was mostly down to the fact that he complimented Warner well - their partnership was always one of the most productive in world cricket.

Granted he didn't contribute a lot of those runs, but that wasn't really his primary job. At the time he was dropped he averaged 76 balls an innings to Warner's 56, which was where his real value sat. You need at least one of your openers to reliably see off the new nut, especially when your middle order is as fragile as ours was in those days.

I'd be interested to see how often Cowan batted out the first session of a Test, as opposed to Warner. I suspect it would be a favourable comparison.

Realistically though, that sort of Test opener is pretty old-school - he was always on borrowed time averaging under 35.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back