• Tagged users None

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
How many did SPS attend?

Given how unimaginative we've been with our centre bounce combinations under Teague, we probably shouldn't expect anything too drastic in this space. But equally, there are a lot of players on our list who have been tasked with specific roles who could certainly help shoulder that midfield load should we elect to use them.

I do agree that Gibbons is an unlikely candidate to play as a tagger. I don't think that's his go at all. Part time mid, sure, tagger, nope. At the very least, I think we have better candidates should we need someone to do a job - JSOS seems a good option, Setterfield has the size and smarts to do a defensive job, Newnes is a left field option if we want to run with Walsh/Willo on the wings, Kennedy could salvage his career by adding a defensive focus to his game, Stocker or Philp could be given the job while they're still developing, Cottrell or Owies both seem like disciplined role players who could be trialled. I think Gibbons (and Fogarty) are the types who benefit more from being used as small contested mids who can apply defensive pressure, rather than being used in negating roles specifically.

SPS in Rd5 spent 9% in centre square bounces in his only appearance in there for the year, the discussion was about Gibbons maybe becoming a tagger of sorts so on this particular opinion i don’t really get the relevance...
I do agree with pretty much all of what you have expressed except two some of it bang on with my line of thinking as well...

I’m not really confident/sure that Kennedy can become a tagger at the highest level would need a few things to rapidly improve which i just don’t see happening, love the way he plays strong tough old fashioned footballer hopefully he can show us more of what we’ve been waiting for..

The other is Owies but that’s purely on lack of any trial or experimentation as a midfielder at reserves level as of yet purely understand your opinion is based on discipline, hopefully your eye is onto something...

Gibbons and Fogarty your summary is spot on small contested mids who can apply good contested pressure, also agree with JSos & Setterfield as bigger bodied types, Stocker & particularly Philp on being future candidates, Cottrell could be a tremendous lockdown winger with his endurance if he can improve his game through maturity and experience...

Walsh hopefully roles through the midfield a little more but Willo‘s possible progression onto the wing is exciting and could just add even more depth in a position that we’re been lacking...

Unimanagtive is an understatement, geez we need too start adding some layers if we are going to rise, Williams is a ripper addition, higher amounts of quality rotations with better balanced combinations...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS in Rd5 spent 9% in centre square bounces in his only appearance in there of the year, the discussion was about Gibbons maybe becoming a tagger of sorts so on this particular opinion i don’t really get the relevance...
I do agree with pretty much all of what you have expressed except two some of it bang on with my line of thinking as well...

I’m not really confident/sure that Kennedy can become a tagger at the highest level would need a few things to rapidly improve which i just don’t see happening, love the way he plays strong tough old fashioned footballer hopefully he can show us more of what we’ve been waiting for..

The other is Owies but that’s purely on lack of any trial or experimentation as a midfielder at reserves level as of yet purely understand your opinion is based on discipline, hopefully your eye is onto something...

Gibbons and Fogarty your summary is spot on small contested mids who can apply good contested pressure, also agree with JSos & Setterfield as bigger bodied types, Stocker & particularly Philp on being future candidates, Cottrell could be a tremendous lockdown winger with his endurance if he can improve his game through maturity and experience...

Walsh hopefully roles through the midfield a little more but Willo‘s possible progression onto the wing is exciting and could just add even more depth in a position that we’re been lacking...

Unimanagtive is an understatement, gezz we need too start adding some layers if we are going to rise, Williams is a ripper addition, higher amounts of quality rotations with better balanced combinations...

To elaborate on the SPS reference - I think most of us would agree that he is at his best as a midfielder, and yet he's being used elsewhere. So just because Gibbons isn't at centre bounces, we shouldn't be making assumptions about his ability to contribute there.

I think Kennedy is a slim chance of taking on tagging duties, but he impressed me early days with some of his bodywork and blocking at the stoppages and it could be something for him to put his hand up for to try and extend his tenure.

Owies seems well suited to the forward pocket, but he's deceptively strong and a very disciplined player. If we find other forward options (Fogarty, Fisher, Durdin, Honey, other recruits) then Owies has, in my view, some suitable traits to serve him in a run-with role.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
To elaborate on the SPS reference - I think most of us would agree that he is at his best as a midfielder, and yet he's being used elsewhere. So just because Gibbons isn't at centre bounces, we shouldn't be making assumptions about his ability to contribute there.

I think Kennedy is a slim chance of taking on tagging duties, but he impressed me early days with some of his bodywork and blocking at the stoppages and it could be something for him to put his hand up for to try and extend his tenure.

Owies seems well suited to the forward pocket, but he's deceptively strong and a very disciplined player. If we find other forward options (Fogarty, Fisher, Durdin, Honey, other recruits) then Owies has, in my view, some suitable traits to serve him in a run-with role.
I believe Teague sees SPS as a midfielder long term. He is spending time back to teach accountability and he is one of the best in the league in contested footy. Time to add HHF to his bow to make his neat kicking more damaging as it leads to scoring opportunities. Build into a midfield role switch with Gibbo, Cuners, Martin and even JSOS from 2021 onwards.

Setters is a tackling beast who could morph the Ed role into something more attacking in the mould of Jack Steele. Rather than a designated tagger, I want all our mids to be more accountable and run for longer periods of time to hurt teams both ways. Not too many pure taggers left in the game, especially in the successful teams.

Last edited:
I think we found Ed's successor...

Screenshot_20210112-194345_Gallery.jpg

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
If we go with Jack - and I'm against it in general - I suggest something a little different. Instead of trying to tag out the opposition's best player - the general theory - get Jack big and strong, and pit him against the opposition's prime mover, the person who wins their clearances and their hard ball. Essentially, deprive them of their Cripps, and have Jack sharking their taps.

We're a clearance side, so anything which robs opposition of their own clearances is going to just add a dimension to our game as it currently stands. It means that the opposition cannot win the ball against us as often as they normally would, which works for our time in possession game which is another of our key indicators. And it means that, instead of needing a different type of tagger to tag out the difference between Danger, GAbblett, Whitfield, Kelly etc you're just developing a player to tag one; Cripps, Priddis, Pendlebury, Cunnington, the big inside mid. Sure, you've got hybrid players (Treloar, Bontempelli, Danger) but by and large those players hurt you with what they can do outside, once the ball is already supplied to them; you force them inside to compete where you're already strong in order to give them supply, and you've already taken an opposition's plan A away from them.

I think you just described a Jack Steele type role. He took cripps out without a whimper

Back