Traded Ed Langdon [traded with #26 and 2020 4th to Melbourne for #22, #79 and 2020 2nd]

Langdon and 7 for 3 rates him at pick 32. Melbourne would be stupid not to!

Top 5 picks have more value than the way the points system weights them though.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Melbourne should remember the last time they did a pick swap downgrade (Salem and Dom Tyson to GWS for Josh Kelly)

They would be fools to Do it again for a battler like Langdon.
If they actually do that deal, that whole footy dept needs an intervention.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Melbourne should remember the last time they did a pick swap downgrade (Salem and Dom Tyson to GWS for Josh Kelly)

They would be fools to Do it again for a battler like Langdon.
If they actually do that deal, that whole footy dept needs an intervention.

They'll give up a second round pick, nobody is talking pick downgrade.

Still think it isn't worth it for Langdon. The Dees could do something better with that pick, I am sure of it.
I've been over it a few times but it really comes down to who the D's rate in the draft since it doesnt seem like they'll be doing much more other than bringing in Landgdon and Tomlinson (who costs nothing), unless I'm missing something.

IF the D's rate picks 3-10 per say very evenly, then rate 12-20 very evenly they would be stupid not to do it.

They could get Langdon for what they see as free.

Assuming they either trade 3 to us or to GWS, it comes down to whether they would rather
a) 12,14
b) 7 and 21

Keeping in mind 12,14 and 21 may all be pushed back by Henry/McGuinness bids

There is definitely a chance Melbourne would rather have 7 and 21 rather than 12 and 14.

Dez!

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I've been over it a few times but it really comes down to who the D's rate in the draft since it doesnt seem like they'll be doing much more other than bringing in Landgdon and Tomlinson (who costs nothing), unless I'm missing something.

IF the D's rate picks 3-10 per say very evenly, then rate 12-20 very evenly they would be stupid not to do it.

Assuming they either trade 3 to us or to GWS, it comes down to whether they would rather
a) 12,14
b) 7 and 21

There is definitely a chance Melbourne would rather have 7 and 21 rather than 12 and 14.

Dez!

Well that seems very fair and reasonable and well argued, so I will leave it at that.

I believe Freo are very keen on a WA prospect who is projected to go inside the top 5, so that makes sense.

I get the funny feeling Josh Jenkins will end up at The Dees for a late/token pick as well, they need another KPF.

Well that seems very fair and reasonable and well argued, so I will leave it at that.

I believe Freo are very keen on a WA prospect who is projected to go inside the top 5, so that makes sense.

I get the funny feeling Josh Jenkins will end up at The Dees for a late/token pick as well, they need another KPF.
I assume you mean Robertson? He's not top 5 is he? Personally I'd rather Rivers than Robertson anyway and I think Stephens from SA fits what we need 1000 times better anyway

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

a) 12,14
b) 7 and 21

Dez!

Or Melbourne just keep 2/3 and give Freo 21 for Langdon, it doesn't need to be complicated and there's no reason to involve Melbourne's first pick.

Or Melbourne just keep 2/3 and give Freo 21 for Langdon, it doesn't need to be complicated and there's no reason to involve Melbourne's first pick.
I just explained a situation where Melbourne might prefer the 3 into 7 that seemed pretty reasonable. So there would be some reason wouldn’t there.

I’m not saying that would be the deal just disputing that there is no reason to move 4 places down the order in an even draft

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I just explained a situation where Melbourne might prefer the 3 into 7 that seemed pretty reasonable. So there would be some reason wouldn’t there.

I’m not saying that would be the deal just disputing that there is no reason to move 4 places down the order in an even draft
I think if we trade our first it’ll be for 2 firsts. We’ll then take them to the draft. Our second for Langdon and Tomlinson a free agent.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Snuff has a good point, if GC get their priority then we can kiss Anderson good bye, do we then decide that in a more even draft we trade our 3 for GWS 12 and 14 and get two mid first round kids in? How desperate are GWS for that pick? Could we get something out? Either way it will be interesting once finals are done, we have a few options thats for sure.

I think if we trade our first it’ll be for 2 firsts. We’ll then take them to the draft. Our second for Langdon and Tomlinson a free agent.
100%, the most likely result should GC get a PP (which is bs as far as I'm concerned) is that you guys just send that pick 3 straight to GWS.

The only reason it wouldnt happen like that is if your guys saw a big diff between 7ish and 12ish which can happen in drafts.

I imagine we would prefer pick 3 for the same reasons, wanting 12 and 14 which are a decent chance to be above a Henry bid. 21 will always be taken by a Henry bid but you guys have the power so it will really be up to Melbourne with what they want to do.

Last edited:
Back