Traded Ed Langdon [traded with #26 and 2020 4th to Melbourne for #22, #79 and 2020 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s say Henry goes 10 & we’ve got Melbs 2nd (currently 20) for Langdon. After NGA discounts we only have to make up 204 points. Henry won’t go until 12-16 though imo. Probably later 1st round if he misses the combine.
The next goes out to get the 204 points.

Therefore, pick 25 goes and replaced by pick 26.

We lose Langdon and pick 25 for Henry and pick 36.

So would still have pick 6-7 and 36, before the Hill scenario?
Yes.

My idea for the Langdon trade is better our position in the 2020 draft and maximum the value of the NGA bid for Henry.

We lose Langdon,25, 2020 third round.

We gain 20, 2020 second round pick and 2020 fourth round picks.

Pick 20 is downgraded but increases our points for Henry. If Henry bids comes last we gain a third round pick.

In 2020, we have 1 first round, 2 second round and 2 fourth round picks.

The 2 fourth round picks can be used for the NGA kids ie Western and the Twins.

The 2 second rounds picks upgraded to a first round pick for a team that need points.

That nets us 4 first round picks in 2 years including Henry.

I'd be shocked if Henry gets bid on before #15. Wouldn't be surprised, actually expecting a bit in the 20's. Academy players slide quite often, clubs don't really see the point in bidding.

Yeah I agree. Plus Henry’s combine testing will likely be compromised because of his injury. So he will likely slide to late 1st. Plus there’s always bolters late.

I'm a fan of recruiting Langdon, he's the right age profile and he offers us pace, endurance and field position in metres gained. There's some concern about his kicking but I think this may be overblown. I think most MFC fans will rate Salem as one of our best field kicks and they stack up reasonably similarly in the data below:

Average Disposals:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2019&rt=LA&st=DI

Average metres gained:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2019&rt=LA&st=MG

Need to leaven this with average turnovers though:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2019&rt=LA&st=TO
  • Brad Hill 51st for disposals, 11th for metres gained, 22nd for turnovers
  • Ed Langdon 54th for disposals, 39th for metres gained, 78th for turnovers
  • Salem 50th for disposals, 34th for metres gained, 76th for turnovers - very similar numbers to Langdon
I like Brad Hill too but he's older (26yo) and will be a lot more expensive in trade and salary than Langdon (23yo) and he turns it over a surprising amount. I'd be happy to add either of those two, but those numbers make Langdon look attractive.

MFC 2nd round for Langdon is about right with something later coming back the other way. I believe Freo don't currently hold 2019 3rd or 4th rounders though - Freo fans to confirm? But all that could change or 2020 picks could come into play.
Confirmed. Freo have no 3rd or 4th rounder. Still..... A lot can happen in trade week

So is he going anywhere or not?
mate catches up with him regularly and he said he's not going anywhere. Make of that what you will. I imagine that in the age of social media you may want to play your cards close to your chest. Having said that, there's been no evidence of him saying anywhere he is considering a move to Vic (like with bHill). It's pretty much been: uncontracted player from Vic who has left contract talks late = definitely going. :shrug:

The rumours started because he put talks on hold until the end of season and there are clubs that would be interested.

Langdon put talks on hold around the time the BHill stuff starting getting legs.

If you’re a smart player manager of course you put talks on hold. If BHill leaves at year end Langdon can probably add another 100k+ pa for his new contract.

I would t have my player put pen to paper until I knew what was happening with BHill either

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd rather keep Langdon than B Hill

I tend to agree.

We are probably going to get unders in a trade for Langdon and overs for Hill so i'd prefer we keep Landgon if it comes to one or the other.

I tend to agree.

We are probably going to get unders in a trade for Langdon and overs for Hill so i'd prefer we keep Landgon if it comes to one or the other.
Pretty controversial there, but would be an interesting strategy. I can also see us covering the loss of one, but two would be really difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty controversial there, but would be an interesting strategy. I can also see us covering the loss of one, but two would be really difficult.

Thats an interesting point for discussion. When players get injured through the year, say B Hill and Langdon out at same time the impact is far greater than if they are out at the end of the year (they leave) and there is a whole summer of planning and player development to cover the loss. But only if the talent is there to develop of course.

He went at 50% disposal efficiency. Not sure the dockers need another player with those stats

Brayshaw was good last night, played with a lot of heart.

As for the disposal efficiency, that is a stat that needs to be looked with an eye on Brayshaw getting the ball at the coal face, rather than a free running receiver. A lot of his disposals would have been under pressure, and if he had quality players around him, they may have made his disposal efficiency better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back