Traded Ed Langdon [traded with #26 and 2020 4th to Melbourne for #22, #79 and 2020 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d say it won’t be on draft night. Melb would want to split those picks in the trade period to keep their options open in both trade and draft night.

2 picks available to see what shakes in the trade period.

It could be GWS that would delay the trade until draft night when they'll have a better idea where Green will get nominated

It could be GWS that would delay the trade until draft night when they'll have a better idea where Green will get nominated
Nah, they wont do that. They know he's getting bid on top 5, likely top 3. They'll pay nicely for your pick 3, if GC get that PP.

You'll be able to get their two firsts and maybe a later pick swap/
Unless we want to use 1 of the picks on a player. But you are right, that deal will be completely separate from Langdon. Laughable and cringe seeing Freo fans pot Langdon now that he's leaving, but seem to think Melbourne are only splitting their pick so that they can trade a mid-first to Freo for Langdon :drunk:
You know not everyone is the same person right? The one guy who doesnt rate Langdon has said anything about getting a mid first for him?

There are very few, if any, who realistically think we would get 12/14 in a straight swap but I think there are options that work for both teams. I would say all of the following are reasonable and I rank them in order of likelihood (all assume GC got their PP)
1) Straight swap for 21
2) 14 for Langdon and 25
3) 12 for Langdon and 25
4) 3 for Langdon and 7
5) 3 and 55 for Langdon and 7

21 is the most likely but I think Freo would ask the question if Mahoney would do any of 2-5 since its better for us in getting ahead of a Henry bid and may suit what you are trying to do as well. For example, maybe you want to use 21 in some kind of deal for Amon.

Last edited:
Nah, they wont do that. They know he's getting bid on top 5, likely top 3. They'll pay nicely for your pick 3, if GC get that PP.

You'll be able to get there two firsts and maybe a later pick swap/

You know not everyone is the same person right? The one guy who doesnt rate Langdon has said anything about getting a mid first for him?

There are very few, if any, who realistically think we would get 12/14 in a straight swap but I think there are options that work for both teams. I would say all of the following are reasonable and I rank them in order of likelihood (all assume GC got their PP)
1) Straight swap for 21
2) 14 for Langdon and 25
3) 12 for Langdon and 25
4) 3 for Langdon and 7
5) 3 and 55 for Langdon and 7

21 is the most likely but I think Freo would ask the question if Mahoney would do any of 2-5 since its better for us in getting ahead of a Henry bid and may suit what you are trying to do as well. For example, maybe you want to use 21 in some kind of deal for Amon.
21 seems like the logical trade

But 3 for Langdon and 7 would be tempting

21 seems like the logical trade

But 3 for Langdon and 7 would be tempting
Ball would be in your court since he's uncontracted. Would depend on how Melbourne rate the talent segregation. There may 4 guys they happily take after 3 that they know wont be there at 12/14 and therefore would rather the top 7 pick.

While the draft is even, there is no way the scouts rank everyone from 3-20 the same, there will be talent drop-offs in the eye's of each drafting team

Ball would be in your court since he's uncontracted. Would depend on how Melbourne rate the talent segregation. There may 4 guys they happily take after 3 that they know wont be there at 12/14 and therefore would rather the top 7 pick.

While the draft is even, there is no way the scouts rank everyone from 3-20 the same, there will be talent drop-offs in the eye's of each drafting team
Alot seems to depend on whether Gold Coast get a PP or not.

Have a feeling that the AFL will give them the PP to be honest

The pick swap with GWS make a lot of sense.

Pick 2 - 2517 points
Pick 11 and 13 - 2541 points
Pick 6 - 1751 points

That value Langdon btw 766 and 790 pts or about pick 24/25

Can see this happening with some minor back end pick swaps

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just my thoughts.

Melbourne should keep Anderson with pick 2 and trade pick 20 for Langdon.

Suns gets a priority and then the Demons should trade pick 3 to the GWS for picks 12,14. Keep those picks and trade pick 21 for Langdon.
Freo may be interested in trading 25 and Langdon for pick 12 or 14 if they are confident it is ahead of any Henry bid. May work for Melbourne too.

Unless we want to use 1 of the picks on a player. But you are right, that deal will be completely separate from Langdon. Laughable and cringe seeing Freo fans pot Langdon now that he's leaving, but seem to think Melbourne are only splitting their pick so that they can trade a mid-first to Freo for Langdon :drunk:

Freo supporters seem to be pretty consistent and reasoned in their valuing of players, they are talking Brad Hill up as a big loss, it's not just salt about Langdon leaving. He can't kick.

Very doubtful Melbourne trade pick 2/3 though, yes. If it's split it'd most likely be split to the Dockers 5 and 6 if that's what they get for Hill

2 and change for 5 & 6
3 and change for 6 & 7

A lot more likely than 2 mid teens picks

Freo supporters seem to be pretty consistent and reasoned in their valuing of players, they are talking Brad Hill up as a big loss, it's not just salt about Langdon leaving. He can't kick.

Very doubtful Melbourne trade pick 2/3 though, yes. If it's split it'd most likely be split to the Dockers 5 and 6 if that's what they get for Hill

2 and change for 5 & 6
3 and change for 6 & 7

A lot more likely than 2 mid teens picks

5 & 6 for 2 and change, you really need to expand on the 'and change'!

Langdon, 6 (7) & 24 (25) for 2 (3) & 20 (21)

The all mighty Draft Value Index rates Langdon at pick 21 (27). This means Freo upgrade their two picks and Melbourne keep two valuable selections and gain a gun wingman.

Or

Langdon for 20 (21)

Freo take three selections inside 25 and Melbourne keep pick 2 (3).

(Should GCS get a PP)

Langdon, 6 (7) & 24 (25) for 2 (3) & 20 (21)

The all mighty Draft Value Index rates Langdon at pick 21 (27). This means Freo upgrade their two picks and Melbourne keep two valuable selections and gain a gun wingman.

Or

Langdon for 20 (21)

Freo take three selections inside 25 and Melbourne keep pick 2 (3).

(Should GCS get a PP)

Option 2. 3 pick inside 30 better than 2.
With Hill we could end up with 5,6,20,24. Plus what else we get for Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want no part of anything other than our 2nd round pick for Langdon.

2nd for Langdon is fair and gets it done
Another win win is Langdon & 6 (7) for pick 2 (3).
Keeps you in both rounds and only a couple Pick downgrade.

If I’m Melb, I’d only do that if I had pick 3 though.

Langdon and 7 for 3 rates him at pick 32. Melbourne would be stupid not to!
Think of it as Langdon and 6 for 11 and 12 (from GWS) because 3 gets you both of their firsts and maybe a little change on top.

In this draft I'd probably rather 11 and 12 than 6 and 21, especially with 21 being eaten by a Henry bid

Think of it as Langdon and 6 for 11 and 12 (from GWS) because 3 gets you both of their firsts and maybe a little change on top.

In this draft I'd probably rather 11 and 12 than 6 and 21, especially with 21 being eaten by a Henry bid

Na, I'd much rather get a fair deal for a best 22 player. I maintain that somewhere dead center of 21 and 27 would be fair, but 32 is far from fair for a player like Ed!

Ralph reported an in-princaple agreement has already been drawn up and Ed will sign on with Melbourne as soon as trade day opens. He said Melbourne was looking to trade 2 and if they gave up pick 18 it would be fair.

Paraphrasing but it's about as good as I remember, I think 😬

Ed had a tour of the EFC facilities today according to Anthony Colangelo of The Age
VERY interesting, all the mail was on melbourne so far. Still no public word from Ed’s camp. The value of wingman in the modern AFL is quite high right now, even though the all Australian selectors clearly don’t think so... cough Duncan cough hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back