Delisted Ed Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we nickname him Stanley or Screw driver because he's got a Phillips head?
BDA0FC09-5E6F-4C49-874C-62D11860E6B2.jpg

freebloke

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure on the 'brother has a tank so Ed has a tank' theory. How good is his endurance? For example, how did he test in the time trial and beep test at the Combine?

He did vic state trials... so I am not sure.

I thought Brad Hill / Stephen Hill example.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
His brother has just won the time trial at the pies. He does have great endurance like his brother - so maybe a future as a shutdown defender / mid?
He did sound like a tagger pick from the moment he was read out. Not sure if that had any truth at all, but the reasonable pace, great discipline, great running capacity. Nothing wrong with that. Just play 200 games Ed. No pressure bud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freebloke

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good luck to the kid, but I am wondering if saints should have picked Dylan Clarke. More of an inside player, but could have been converted into a tagger, if we wanted.

Good luck to the kid, but I am wondering if saints should have picked Dylan Clarke. More of an inside player, but could have been converted into a tagger, if we wanted.

His kicking efficiency was somewhere in the 40's wasn't it? A ball butchering possible tagger probably wasn't high on the priority list my friend!

I've been thinking that we may see Phillips in a tagging role down the track, but with much better kinging than Clarke.

I really rated Clarke I reckon he's going to be good. I don't know much about the screwdriver but hopefully he's a gun.

Does anyone actually draft a player with a "tagger" role in mind, or is it just the job given to a reasonably fast player who...
a) can't kick or
b) can't get the ball or
c) can't work out how to run to the right place

Its a bit like the half back flanker role.
If you draft a half back flanker, what the hell do you do with your midfielder who couldn't cut it in the midfield?

Does anyone actually draft a player with a "tagger" role in mind, or is it just the job given to a reasonably fast player who...
a) can't kick or
b) can't get the ball or

If you draft a half back flanker, what the hell do you do with your midfielder who couldn't cut it in the midfield?

Lets be honest, it's given to guys who aren't talented enough to hurt the opposition the other way. Not a hard thing to do, same as defensive forward. Some of course go on to become better players but you never see guns tagging.

a) can't kick or
b) can't get the ball or

i think the traditional tagging role we saw clint jones do, is now dead. teams have realised you are essentially going to be 1 down in the midfield, so if the tagger doesnt nullify the bloke hes on then you are seriously behind.

you really only have "stoppers" now in the back half or a defencive fwd in the front half, but these plays tend to be failed midfielders, failed fwds or defenders

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
i think the traditional tagging role we saw clint jones do, is now dead. teams have realised you are essentially going to be 1 down in the midfield, so if the tagger doesnt nullify the bloke hes on then you are seriously behind.

you really only have "stoppers" now in the back half or a defencive fwd in the front half, but these plays tend to be failed midfielders, failed fwds or defenders
Tagging started to come back in in the 2nd half of the year this year though and Jacobs for North is one who is particularly good at it. Shut Steven right out of it in one of their games against us, with Dumont doing similarly in the other. Will be interesting to see if it continues into next year.

You'd have to think if we didn't let Mitchell run around on his own and get 44 disposals against us down in Tassie and pretty much beat us on his own we would have beaten Hawthorn, maybe even relatively comfortably.

I doubt very much that we got Phillips for his tagging ability, but it sounds like he got some scalps this year (including McCluggage) while also doing some damage himself the other way, so it sounds like he has the attributes and attitude for it if we did want someone to play that sort of role down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back