Social Science Ed Sheeran

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if he rooted Swifty, however I heard he ploughed his way through her mates when he was the support act to her American tour a few years back. Swifty gave him his big break when she heard him play on radio.

He might be a little campaigner but you've gotta hand it to him, he's done very well for himself.

Lol

“Not sure if he rooted Swifty” is an awesomely Australian take on it.

i'm ambivalent about the guy, i don't listen to radio, or come across him unless i want to remind myself because of things like this thread. but a lack of talent, creativity, good looks, and intelligence has never been a barrier to being knee-deep in pussy as far as record companies pushing their own talent goes.
just falls into the great big sinkhole called adult contemporary, like ben harper and other bland stuff. music for people that want something to listen to, because they've realized there's a gaping hole in their life where a bit of culture like music should be, but don't know what to listen to but they seen an ad for it on tv.

He's on TV over here all the time and he seems like a genuinely nice and pretty funny dude. I'd have a pint or two with him. He'd be a great bloke if you knew him from the footy club and had a laugh on a Saturday night after a match. He's handy enough on guitar the committee would swing him $50 and free beers to come play some covers at the club trivia night.

But Ed Sheeran as one of the biggest worldwide stars in music, possibly even the biggest at this moment in time.... I just don't get it. Bland and predictable. I don't like most musicians that have a production line of top ten hits but I can usually understand why they churn out hits like they do... But this guy's popularity is a head scratcher.

Last edited:
Just saw the ‘Photograph’ video and it gets to me every time.

You mean, it makes you cry?

I reckon poor Lil Ed cops half the criticism that he does, merely for the fact that he's a Ginger-Nut.

It's high time we put an end this Ginger discrimination peeps.

One of my favourite musicians ever is a ginger.
o-GINGER-SPICE-570.jpg

Anyone else just absolutely hate this little campaigner?

When I hear his benign, beige acousticy balladry or puerile attempt at R&B I both seethe and feel embarrassed. I'm subjected to two of his songs on a regular basis and the lyricism is childish or like a John Green novel. When I hear the generic doof doof four-to-the-floor rap beat he's put some dross over, I just imagine him sitting in a studio trying to smoke a joint and coughing his lungs up while thinking he's just out-blacked Bob Marley and Tupac.

He's just a talentless, short, pudgy little ginger with no personality and who basically peddles music to over 45s and under 15s and every bad demographic in between.

The thing I hate the most is when you see him hanging around with Taylor Swift or Karlie Kloss and he has this smug look on his face like he's actually banging them when it's clear neither will or are and are just using him to cash in on a feature.

Does anyone here like Ed Sheeran?

2CDCA93400000578-0-image-m-67_1485901059438.jpg
I don't get it either. At least other banal pop mega stars have some kind of sex appeal.

I don't see what the issue is. He can sing. He's not my cup of tea but he has talent which is more than what you can say of a lot of "musicians" these days. The fact that he is average looking is probably a good thing as it means he didn't just get famous just for being a sex symbol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And 40 plus.

I used to live sort of near Etihad Stadium and would walk back through that side of the city a bit and check out the crowds flooding back from the massive pop concerts there (which I love, something special about that magnet and flowing effect from people all going to see the same band) and I noticed the demographic for Ed Sheeran and Coldplay hugely overlapped. I barely saw a bloke in his 20s. It was basically families, gaggles of 45 year old women, and young teenagers. But that is the demographic these days, they're the only demographic dumb enough to buy a physical CD and they're the ones with the disposable income willing to buy $170 tickets for the nosebleeds and a $45 t-shirt because 'we didn't get the good seats, but next time.'

Thing about him is there's this notion that because he's got not much else going for him, he must be musically gifted.

Ie the general fallacy that if you're in the music industry, there's something in there that means you deserve it.

For example this Perfect song. It's not that interesting instrumentally. It doesn't have a guitar riff which is cool, whatever, but then it sort of comes toward the end but then... it's not really that prominent... it's just this simple, low key drum beat, but it's basically strings (I wonder if he can even write strings?). So it's about lyrics then. Alright, so it's about a girl. Hmm. Love songs are a common trope, all of the words greatest songwriters and poets have written about love so okay. But then the lyrics are like:

I found a love for me
Oh darling, just dive right in and follow my lead
Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own
And in your eyes, you're holding mine

Is calling a girl 'beautiful and sweet' really that interesting of a concept to write a song about, when your job is literally to sit around thinking of good ways to say simple things? 'Your heart is all I own' is the height of metaphor here. I mean Taylor Swift is part of the machine but she uses metaphors at least and can write a song about simple observations, not simple clichés.

Also it's a simple song with almost no instrumentation, which is amazing, but lyrics aside you'd think it'd have an engaging structure... but it's verse, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus or something which is just pop 1-0-1. He really isn't even that good as a songwriter. Some people make these 20 minute youtube videos about genuinely good pop songs and deconstruct why they're so catchy or good but no one has even done one on Ed Sheeran.

Then you know, there's the video... which is the exact same ****in video as Galway Girl just not shot in first person.

Oh and the fact literally every single one of his songs is about how good some chick is or something. Man.

He's an average guitarist at best; he can barely 'shred' or anything and his riffs are okay but fundamentally nothing amazing. Unlike the great guitarists, he doesn't have a unique sound, tone, or way of using notes. It's pretty had to hear his sound other than hearing the sappiest ballads and assuming it's his.
That song is one of the worst songs of the past five years. It makes me want to vomit.

Harry Styles did Sign Of The Times too.

Melodramatic bullshit basically about nothing, think the main lyric is 'oh baby don't you know it's a sign of the times, gotta get away from here' and yet it's his only actual single and known song – this from a good looking man who was in a boy band pretty recently.

I'm surprised someone hasn't done an EDM Smoke On The Water and it functions as 'my first song I could mix in and out on an iPhone DJing app' or something.

I think Ed Sheeran's big thing is that people who once cared about music or passingly still do ******* hate him. The only people who like him are probably going to know literally a dozen bands and look perplexed when you ask them 'ah what's a Rolling Stones song?'

A great example of being able to achieve great status and level despite lacking looks, which are so craved in the environment.

I put Jess Glynne down as not being one of the biggest singers in the world due to her lack of smoking looks, but perhaps not.

Galway Girl upsets me because it uses the same name as a really good classic song. When I first heard them say "Ed Sheeran with Galway Girl" I thought, great, ginger nuts is going to butcher a classic.

Nope, did his own awful, awful song and used that title instead. Great.

Galway Girl (Ed Sheeran's) is genuinely one of the top 10 worst songs ever made

Oh come on. Ed's alright... Ed's alright. Harmless bloke. Some good songs, some meh.
There seems to be an abundance of miserable mother*ers on the GD branch of BigFooty. Maybe take a leaf out of Ed's book and enjoy yourselves.

Oh come on. Ed's alright... Ed's alright. Harmless bloke. Some good songs, some meh.
There seems to be an abundance of miserable mother******s on the GD branch of BigFooty. Maybe take a leaf out of Ed's book and enjoy yourselves.

Like your name-sake, you mean?;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back