Eddie - 20 years as Collingwood president

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
News today that Eddie will be elected unopposed for another 3 years as Pies President. Upon completion of the term Eddie will have led the club for over 20 years. An impressive achievement.

I get the stability this brings and tip my hat to his energy and commitment towards the club he obviously bleeds for.

But is it healthy to have the one leader for that length of time? Would Collingwood be better for a different President?

News today that Eddie will be elected unopposed for another 3 years as Pies President. Upon completion of the term Eddie will have led the club for over 20 years. An impressive achievement.

I get the stability this brings and tip my hat to his energy and commitment towards the club he obviously bleeds for.

But is it healthy to have the one leader for that length of time? Would Collingwood be better for a different President?

He was the man the needed when he took over given where the club was and he has turned them into a juggernaut from a business perspective and they won a flag but there is only so long someone can stay. The next in the job is in a hiding to nothing tho...similar to a coach following Shhedy at Essendon or even Clarkson at hawthorn when he gives it away .

Fairly straightforward answer to your second question, for mine.

Collingwood would be better off under a different president if that president was "better" than the incumbent. Would it actually happen if the better candidate were to make their interest in the job known? That I can't answer.

As for the question of how long is too long, that completely depends on the club and the president in question. It's not like 8 year fixed terms need to be introduced.

In Eddie's case, happy for him to continue at this point. He's done a great deal for our club and continues to do so. On-field results have been poor lately and there have been completely unnecessary controversies, but for mine the good continues to far outweigh the bad.

If we were a serious organisation it would be clear that he has essentially staked his own job on Buckley's. The fact that both are still there is itself the reason that he should no longer be President.

He has become too powerful to be held accountable for a massive mistake, but is still too insecure in his position to be able to admit it.

As much as i dislike him, he's been fantastic for Collingwood, although he's presidency has become stale. A breath of fresh air could be good for all stakeholders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he brought them a premiership, only a few men have done that since the fall of Berlin in 1945.

The last one was an outdated, mysognistic, racist dinosau.....oh....

Carry on.

Last edited:
A13BA35E-E661-4C76-A757-2C1F31F49497-346-000001183BED57A2_tmp.jpg

..for a change. But maybe not. They do things differently at Collingwood.

Love him or hate him... he's a great business man with a good mindset.
Turned the club around that was becoming a basket case in the late 90s.... on his first day of on the job at Victoria Park, he turned off the video that was playing the 1990 GF on a loop... it was time to look to the future....

Last edited:
I think Eddie has done an incredible job for Collingwood as a club and business - and the AFL would be in a much poorer position if not for him.

Has his time come as President? Personally I don't think so, but I think it is a fair question to ask, and in reality should be asked every year (as it should for any club who weren't the premiers)... but until a legitimate contender actually comes up with an opposing ballot its not gonna happen without a drastic change (or Eddie deciding its time to step away from Collingwood)

He was the man the needed when he took over given where the club was and he has turned them into a juggernaut from a business perspective and they won a flag but there is only so long someone can stay. The next in the job is in a hiding to nothing tho...similar to a coach following Shhedy at Essendon or even Clarkson at hawthorn when he gives it away .
Constantly hear this about Eddie at the Pies, but the reality is all the clubs have gone through explosive growth in revenue, members etc.

Magpies were one of the very biggest clubs in the 90s, they still are, status quo maintained imo, nothing more. Probably only Hawthorn has really out-performed in terms of growth in that period. If you managed to hold on to your position over past 20 years as a club president you rode a wave of social trends and good AFL management so growth-positive that it would have been hard to screw it up even if you tried.

Now, the fact that the Magpies are now a concept club playing out of a swimming pool/basketball hall in Richmond these days...I lay that squarely at Eddie's feet...and don't get me started.

I think Eddie has done an incredible job for Collingwood as a club and business - and the AFL would be in a much poorer position if not for him.

Has his time come as President? Personally I don't think so, but I think it is a fair question to ask, and in reality should be asked every year (as it should for any club who weren't the premiers)... but until a legitimate contender actually comes up with an opposing ballot its not gonna happen without a drastic change (or Eddie deciding its time to step away from Collingwood)
Has there ever been a real challenger over the years? I cant recall any names ever being mentioned

b425b59399c84e228dbb322cefcf73ef.jpg

Love him or hate him... he's a great business man with a good mindset.
Turned the club around that was becoming a basket case in the late 90s.... on his first day of on the job at Victoria Park, he turned off the video that was playing the 1990 GF on a loop... it was time to look to the future....

How is he a great businessman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back