• Yes

Votes: 186 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 18.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

"The members are the people who decide whether we're going and if I ever thought I was going half rat power and I'd had enough of it, I'd be the first out the door, because I don't get paid to do this, I've got lots of things in my life."

Thanks for the laugh Eddie.

Must have got the nod from his boys.
Well, the review has to be thorough with positive steps/action taken.
It may be prudent for Ed to oversee the process (as his last act), then move on after 12 months, when the place is stable again.
The main issue is on field performance, once that improves, everything else 'seems' to improve as well.
The Tigers are winning games, targeting top 4, the Off field mess/distractions seemed to have disappeared (for now).

It may be prudent for Ed to oversee the process (as his last act), then move on after 12 months, when the place is stable again.
The main issue is on field performance, once that improves, everything else 'seems' to improve as well.
The Tigers are winning games, targeting top 4, the Off field mess/distractions seemed to have disappeared (for now).

Eds not saying that, he says

"I'm not defending myself because the only people I have to stand to is the Collingwood members who voted [me] in unanimously last year for three years as president of the club"

So he's continuing for the next term, and his position is beyond the scope of the review, he only answers to members.

Ed shouldn't go because the media deem it so.

That said, he's been there so long.
It's not healthy, in my view, for one person having our footballl club as his personal fiefdom.

But I suspect regardless of merit, time factors or otherwise, Ed just won't go.
He'll stay until they take him out in the proverbial box.

Ed just sees himself as Collingwood, so much of his inner definition is tied into Collingwood. Helps him defines himself and his purpose.

I'm just not sure that is healthy for us and him.

Can't deny his energy, his passion, work ethic, but even all that, it's just not healthy for us or him.

But we are where we are, we are as a club captured by him.
And no I don't see any viable challenger nor even a stalking horse.
So he's with us for the long term.

I'd be stunned if in the next decade he'd resign or retire off his own volition.
It's just who he sees himself to be.

Does a lot good, but everything has a shelf life.

The great non part aligned USA President, George Washington stepped down after two terms as President.
He set the tone for the Presidency to be term limited.
Codified into law in Kennedy presidency.

Succession planning can work, well at times, it can.

As long as Ed changes the coaching staff (all of them if possible), finally decides to break the footy dept salary cap and pay the tax, and hands total control over to Geoff Walsh next season, he can stay.

The one thing that should be clear though is the President of our club should never again be involved in the recruitment and selection of our senior coach until the final stage when the board ratifies the final selection.

Let an independent board of football experts select 2-3 candidates and then Walsh makes his final reccomendation to the board.

That would be a proper selection process the likes of which this club has never undertaken in it's entire history.

Ed shouldn't go because the media deem it so.

That said, he's been there so long.
It's not healthy, in my view, for one person having our footballl club as his personal fiefdom.

But I suspect regardless of merit, time factors or otherwise, Ed just won't go.
He'll stay until they take him out in the proverbial box.

Ed just sees himself as Collingwood, so much of his inner definition is tied into Collingwood. Helps him defines himself and his purpose.

I'm just not sure that is healthy for us and him.

Can't deny his energy, his passion, work ethic, but even all that, it's just not healthy for us or him.

But we are where we are, we are as a club captured by him.
And no I don't see any viable challenger nor even a stalking horse.
So he's with us for the long term.

I'd be stunned if in the next decade he'd resign or retire off his own volition.
It's just who he sees himself to be.

Does a lot good, but everything has a shelf life.

The great non part aligned USA President, George Washington stepped down after two terms as President.
He set the tone for the Presidency to be term limited.
Codified into law in Kennedy presidency.

Succession planning can work, well at times, it can.

Can also yield you a Donald Trump.

As long as Ed changes the coaching staff (all of them if possible), finally decides to break the footy dept salary cap and pay the tax, and hands total control over to Geoff Walsh next season, he can stay.

The one thing that should be clear though is the President of our club should never again be involved in the recruitment and selection of our senior coach until the final stage when the board ratifies the final selection.

Let an independent board of football experts select 2-3 candidates and then Walsh makes his final reccomendation to the board.

That would be a proper selection process the likes of which this club has never undertaken in it's entire history.

Since you brought it up, what's the deal with the tax? Does the more we pay mean more goes to other clubs?

Interesting points.
Selection committees and process are all good in ways, but I wonder in nearly all coaching appointments how much is instinct at the time anyway.
It's interesting in its way.

Since you brought it up, what's the deal with the tax? Does the more we pay mean more goes to other clubs?
Based off the NBA tax I assume.

Don't know the exacts of it but if you go over the salary cap (set at 9.6 million this year) you then pay the AFL a tax that goes into the equalisation fund.

Ed and the social club members have always seemed against going over the cap as they see it as helping other clubs.

That's just stupid. I don't give a s**t about other clubs, as I suspect most here don't either. Do what is best for the CFC and that is to break the damn salary cap and pay the consquences.

We should have the absolute best people working for us that we can find, and there should be no restrictions on what we spend (within our own financial means) to get those best people.

For example at the moment we have one of the smallest recruiting departments going around. It relies more on unpaid scouts then paid professionals. As shown in the below AFL article;

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-19/who-makes-the-calls-on-your-clubs-recruits

The Magpies, perhaps surprisingly given their status as the competition's biggest club, are on the smaller side in the recruiting area

Sorry but that seems wrong. "Smaller side", WTF is happening here.

This is a dictatorship in a big way.

I wonder if the member votes even get counted fairly. We need someone to challenge him, it's staggering that there hasn't been anyone to do that.

I don't like the idea of having the same president for 20 years. Organisations need new faces every 5 or so years or it becomes an inbred environment like we have become now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never met anyone that lives somewhere over the rainbow.. you could be the first.

Eds not saying that, he says

"I'm not defending myself because the only people I have to stand to is the Collingwood members who voted [me] in unanimously last year for three years as president of the club"

So he's continuing for the next term, and his position is beyond the scope of the review, he only answers to members.
Social club member at that.

This is a dictatorship in a big way.

I wonder if the member votes even get counted fairly. We need someone to challenge him, it's staggering that there hasn't been anyone to do that.

I don't like the idea of having the same president for 20 years. Organisations need new faces every 5 or so years or it becomes an inbred environment like we have become now.

How many yrs was Kennet coaching? No where near 20.

I saw that we are now opening up our gym and facilities to the public for use.

I mean.. how many pies does Ed want to stick his finger in.

Ed has to see the season out and implement the outcome of the review and ensure the plans are in place for the next 3-5 years. This can be done over the next 6 months, and once this process is completed he should stand down from the board and we should set in stone terms limiting the president and board members to no more than 5 years.

Back