Remove this Banner Ad

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Eddie and the Umpires

Sorry to start up another thread so late - only the second ever anyway.

The angle that bothers me most about Eddie and the Port call is the effect that his comments and behaviour might have on other sectors of the football scene.

For instance, after one incident in the game that appeared may have lead to a report, he said "Nothing in it". So the Collingwood president and corporate high flyer has publicly told the umpires and AFL that the incident was not worthy of a report!! Brings to mind the Collingwood-captain's previous visit to the tribunal when the prosecuting umpire was far less accusatory than they usually are - I wonder if he had received a phone call from Eddie? As the AFL did about the web poll!

Now don't tell me that Eddie doesn't have clout. As a small example, KG Cunningham on our local 5AA has consistently played down Eddie's bias when he commentates Collingwood games. He repeatedly used Eddie's words like "perception rather than reality", and at no time were any of his comments even vaguely anti-Eddie. Eddie was just now interviewed on 5AA (Wed night) and "sycophant" is not strong enough to describe KG's behaviour - perhaps "fawning". KG is also employed by Channel 9, which explains his lack of journalistic rigour.

Even Cornes joined in the good-natured discussion (one-sided with Eddie speaking most of the time of course), but at least he asked one difficult question about maligning FP crowds. (Cornes explained that it is almost impossible that any Port supporter spat at any Collingwood person, because of the security system and no-one saw anything). But all three managed to have a go at Tim Lane again, even to the extent of complaining about Lane's biased commentary!! Must think we're all stupid - don't answer that.

This is not about South Australians versus Victorians, or Port supporters versus Collingwood supporters. It's about a bully-boy having too much of a say in the football industry.

The classic comment from Eddie in the last week, to me anyway, was that the old clubs should not have to change their jumpers when there might be confusion over colours and designs. Only the "new" clubs should - classic megolomania.

So stop telling everyone else what to do Eddie, especially the umpires and the other sections of the media.

I watched The Footy Show last week for the first time this year because I knew that my team would figure in the show for a little while, because they were playing Collingwood. I will watch again this week as well, just to see how Eddie (and Sam the Vilifier) "spin".

Just wait till Eddie officially takes over Wayne Jackson's Job...
Lets face it, he already has more clout.

Does anyone remember the footy show from a few weeks ago, when Eddie and Sam were talking about their dealings with the "Underworld". Eddie talked about his early days in journalism in the boxing industry, and how he became very well aquainted with a few shady characters, most of whom ran the Melbourne nightclub scene.

It would not suprise me if these shady aquaintences are the ones pulling the strings for Eddie. Who is going to argue with concrete boots.

Just call me a paranoid conspiricist, but corruption rules.:cool:

If the umpires are influenced by that comment then we have far bigger problems than Eddie's bias.

While I often have issues with both the AFL and umpires, I can't see either bieng influenced by it.

Get a grip!!

Yeah and Eddie was responsible for September 11, JFK etc. Get a grip ya ****as!
And yes Most Collingwood supporters dont want him to commentate either, still would not trade him for any other president!!! And if most supporters were honest they would love him at their club!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back