Universal Love Eddie Betts extends contract until 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not Charlie, it's not his appendix - it's the twins. He's not getting enough sleep

It's likely that is it is none of those reasons, and is just age catching up to him.

Betts is what, 31 this season and has played a tick under 300 games. It's expected that his output is going to go downhill, and really, the start point for that occurring was the mid point of last season.

I think however, he has one good season/half season left in him. It is worth noting though, he is skirting that cliff now.

If we are going to mature as a club we can’t rely on him to be our main goal kicker. He’s our small forward, if he can provide pressure and chip in for a goal or two he can still be a major factor next year
Agree.

Would really like to see us rotate our midfielders up forward next year 2 at a time - Greenwood, Sloane, Brouch, Knights, Gibbs... even Atkins as goal scoring options... but to give us more midfield rotations.

Agree.

Would really like to see us rotate our midfielders up forward next year 2 at a time - Greenwood, Sloane, Brouch, Knights, Gibbs... even Atkins as goal scoring options... but to give us more midfield rotations.
Particularly Greenwood, I would like to see him play up forward more due to his marking ability. I also think Betts play at his best when the talls are in reasonable form. This then leaves Betts to focus on what he does best: roaming around the forward line looking for loose balls and elite goal snaps!

It's likely that is it is none of those reasons, and is just age catching up to him.

Betts is what, 31 this season and has played a tick under 300 games. It's expected that his output is going to go downhill, and really, the start point for that occurring was the mid point of last season.

I think however, he has one good season/half season left in him. It is worth noting though, he is skirting that cliff now.
We'll soon know. All the other adverse factors would have improved, even the twins' sleep factor, but Father Time always moves on.

This is where a bit of management can assist. If Eddie plays 20+ games then we'll be lucky to get 5-6 of his high level output, the season is far too much of a grind. But there's no reason that with a tailored program we can't get 12-15 at his high level. Strategic multi week freshen ups, not just a rest where he was training to play up until the Thursday night would be required.

But, a continuity driven performance philosophy can't embrace such a process. And combined with a player culture of always sticking up your hand, there's no doubt that both club and Eddie are planning for a 22+ game season in 2019 and he'll be cooked come finals time.

Agree.

If we had traded Lynch and kept Gov our forward line would have awesome power and defensive pressure with more mids also rotating through there. Tex and JJ as the only defensive liabilities would make defenders seriously re-think just strolling out of our 50. But we went with a downhill skiing, defensively pressureless link man.

Agree.

That and one of Rozee and Rankine would help

Need more speed and X factor , would really help Eddie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then you must have been very lucky to be able to get your full night’s sleep when they were little. Newborn twinnies are bloody hard.... toddler twinnies? YIKES! ;)
You're right babies are hard work, but teenagers are even worse. Luckily they leave home at 35 nowadays (then come back)

You're right babies are hard work, but teenagers are even worse. Luckily they leave home at 35 nowadays (then come back)

I get the feeling there is a few posters older than, that that still live at home. :p

Particularly Greenwood, I would like to see him play up forward more due to his marking ability. I also think Betts play at his best when the talls are in reasonable form. This then leaves Betts to focus on what he does best: roaming around the forward line looking for loose balls and elite goal snaps!

The Greenwood one is interesting. Let's assume that McGovern is traded. That leaves our forward line with;

Betts Jenkins
Lynch Walker

As the main players, one would then expect a combination of Knight, Gallucci, Gibbs, Sloane, B Crouch, Douglas, Murphy etc... filling the other spots

The problem is that Jenkins, Walker and Lynch apply very little forward pressure. Greenwood would make this issue worse.
A forward line of;

Betts Jenkins Greenwood
Lynch Walker Douglas

Is just too slow. This side would get destroyed at the MCG. For all of Greenwood's excellent contested ball game, marking and tackling, he is slow of foot and has a large turning circle (both of which are astonishing for a basketball player of some ability).

The only option is to use Greenwood forward only at specific times, like when Jenkins is in the ruck, or when Walker is rotated off the field. The problem is that this is very difficult to coordinate in a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back