NO TROLLS EDDIE BETTS, JOSH JENKINS & the Crow's Camp. A knife, a harness and the ‘power stance’: Eddie Betts reveals ‘cult-like’ training camp

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
josh jenkins needs an apology from a number of big footy posters. for a good 18 months there were regular posts on here about how jenkins was a non team player and cancerous to the crows and football clubs. It became a truth.

now the real truth is coming out.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Idiotic to completely misunderstand "victim blaming" to try and make yourself feel the bigger person by throwing out labels.

Victim blaming would be:
  • “Eddie you should have known know what was going to happen if you went on a Crows camp.”
  • “You must have sent mixed messages.”
  • “What were you wearing?”
  • “How hard did you try to stop it?”
To disagree with the medium he uses to publicise his trauma in its fullest (a book which is paid for) is not victim blaming.

Nicky Winnmar did this first, as opposed to writing a book down the track in the first instance.

I agree, it is idiotic to not understand when you victim blame

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s amazing they didn’t learn from their efforts to ‘manage’ the supplements saga.

On the other hand they quite happily made full and frank disclosure regarding Lethlean et al and marched them out in front of the press.

Odd bunch at AFLHQ.
They're not an Odd Bunch, they are downright sinister narcisists. They didn't want to sack Lethlean and the other slimes, but a whilstle blower forced their hand. AFL went full bore to try and find the whistleblower afterwards.

Read The Boys Club, it's an eye opener to how the AFL really works. Bad boys are always found jobs later on if you're part of the Boys Club.

It's why investigations often have a "nothing to see here" outcome, bodies are buried and stuff swept under the carpet for the good of the AFL organisation. They are ruthless, all but ended James Hird's life.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whoever led this must be Tiger Woods fans. Exactly the same way he was brought up by his father to deal with pressure. Except you're doing this to people you don't know , absolute disgrace and the fact that Adelaide buried this is even worse.

SackLunch

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would like to give kudos to the vast majority of Adelaide supporters who are rightfully outraged at the events around the camp.

It’s very common for supporters of clubs to banter and throw shade about xxxx club’s supporters being xxxx. However, any sane person knows all clubs have small minorities of *sticks but most supporters care for their club, care for the players and care for the sport. Without some universal camaraderie it would all be pretty worthless IMO.

I feel for supporters who feel ashamed because some complete morons in positions of power do some truly ****ed up and stupid s**t.

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
I agree, it is idiotic to not understand when you victim blame
I think it pretty accepted that victim blaming is defined as someone saying, implying, or treating a person who has experienced harmful or abusive behaviour (such as a survivor of sexual violence, racism) like it was a result of something they did or said, instead of placing the responsibility where it belongs which is on the person who harmed them.

Noting he gave his first full disclosure in a paid book, refers to an event after the fact and therefore cannot by definition, be victim blaming.

Tivva29

Debutant
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL trying to cover something up then co-opting the AFLPA and the Crows into the cover up. Disgusting stuff.
Gill should be walked Monday along with Andrew Dillon.
Paul Marsh should be walked Monday
Every Crows board member who was on the board at this time should be walked Monday

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Mate we literally have an experienced doctor of medicine in our forum who happens to be a committed Christian.

I would say your generalisation about weak mindedness or being mentally challenged is a very very broad statement and one that is not necessarily accurate. Some of your other stuff I agree with wholeheartedly
I've never joined a cult, but i suspect you have to be fairly weak minded in the first place to even consider it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenkins was run out of town, even by crows supporters.

Everybody is complicit in this!
And pretty much every Crows supporter has owed him a much-deserved apology. Him and Eddie were the only senior players to try and speak up about what happened but were shut down as the club continued to try and cover it up. You only have to watch that press conference to see the evasiveness displayed by Pyke and Burton. What needs to happen:

• Ricciuto needs to be sacked immediately (and potentially all the other board members who still remain), and Fox Footy should be getting rid of him too. He's firmly in the James Hird category now as a champion player who has completely tarnished his legacy. His commentary is bad enough.
  • Pyke should not have any role at a football club again. It punishes the Swans but the same thing happened to us when the AFL suspended Bailey
  • Sloane should resign as captain. Even if he was coerced to say that the camp made him a better father and teammate, it was still pissweak leadership (he was deputy captain at the time)

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it pretty accepted that victim blaming is defined as someone saying, implying, or treating a person who has experienced harmful or abusive behaviour (such as a survivor of sexual violence, racism) like it was a result of something they did or said, instead of placing the responsibility where it belongs which is on the person who harmed them.

Noting he gave his first full disclosure in a paid book, refers to an event after the fact and therefore cannot by definition, be victim blaming.

What you have said here and previously is classic victim blaming.
You making more rules of life that people must follow, in your eyes, doesn't change that

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I'm embarrassed, ashamed and angry at my club.

I'm really sad for Betts, Jenkins and others. I owe an apology to Jenkins particularly for my initial views on him in this saga. He's clearly one of the only ones who had enough conviction to stand up. We were directly lied to by our club.

Ricciuto and any other board member in 2017-2019 that remains must resign immediately. Pyke should be out of AFL Football. Sloane should step down as captain.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't believe a guy like Jenkins was labelled as problematic for standing up for what he believed in.

I wonder why he couldn't get a game at Geelong?
He was brought in as insurance after that year Hawkins missed a prelim through suspension. He was always a backup/injured. Funnily enough he's our current ruck coach while Betts is our development & small fwd/def coach.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Shocking what was going on cover after cover up even the AFLPA we're is duty care of it's staff playing dumb they a ?. As for the hierarchy the afl embarrassing this term has been a disaster apology 5 years after the incident. Worksafe SA hold your head in shame to bewildering they cleared it. As for crows staff who oversaw it and covered it up should be sacked and to the senior players leadership group who said the camp made them better stop living in fairyland you let down your teammates and club.

SammyC

Team Captain
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
this whole camp stuff is just further evidence of the toxic boys club the afl was and likely still is.

Not sure about Eddie but josh Jenkins definitely had something to say at the time to the crows leadership, the afl and the aflpa. The proper journos were on to it too.

Why wasn’t it investigated further by the aflpa, the afl or the crows themselves. My guess is a bit of a nudge nudge between the old boys running the game and Adelaide to say that Josh Jenkins was a bad egg, and that caro is making stuff up again.

I’m not sure how anyone at the crows who was there at the time survives this. It reflects appallingly on the aflpa (it’s reason for being) and head office didn’t want to know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back