Prediction Eddie Betts' longevity

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie Betts still doesn't turn 30 until November this year. He's contracted until the end of 2017. But he really seems to be hitting his best footy right now.

Could he be a Boomer Harvey type and keep playing into his late 30s? Similar body type, similar crumbing type player who doesn't ever seem to cop big hits. In other words Eddie seems to avoid major collisions due to good ground positioning. He hasn't missed much footy throughout his AFL career as a result.

Could he keep this high standard going for a few more years yet?

Unlike players like a Thommo and a Dangerfield etc who have to put their bodies in the direct line of fire and take hits and hard tackles Betts is more of an outside player who rarely needs to physically take a hit. Those hits over time slow you down hence outside players tend to play longer than players who are tough as nails inside mids. Mark Riccuito was only 32 when he retired. I do think Betts could play well for at least another 5 years if managed correctly.

Unlike players like a Thommo and a Dangerfield etc who have to put their bodies in the direct line of fire and take hits and hard tackles Betts is more of an outside player who rarely needs to physically take a hit. Those hits over time slow you down hence outside players tend to play longer than players who are tough as nails inside mids. Mark Riccuito was only 32 when he retired. I do think Betts could play well for at least another 5 years if managed correctly.

IIRC he could barely walk in his final game which was a final I think as well.

5 years would take Betts to 34, which while I would love, Im just not sure is feasible. Milne is another forward similar to Betts and he played till the age of about 32.

The AFC would be reluctant imo to sign Betts to anything more than a 2 year deal, the status quo has been usually 1 year post the age of 30. While there are exceptions to players playing well and deep in their 30s they are rare.

A very tough decision for the AFC, get the feeling its an issue they wont address towards the end of next year. The form he is in at the moment is sublime and any deal now will only cause us salary cap issues. If there is room in the cap, I do hope they pay him overs even if its only for a year he has been arguably the best valued player dollar for dollar we have had or ever had and extra remuneration in his contract would be well deserved.

5 years would take Betts to 34, which while I would love, Im just not sure is feasible. Milne is another forward similar to Betts and he played till the age of about 32.

The AFC would be reluctant imo to sign Betts to anything more than a 2 year deal, the status quo has been usually 1 year post the age of 30. While there are exceptions to players playing well and deep in their 30s they are rare.

A very tough decision for the AFC, get the feeling its an issue they wont address towards the end of next year. The form he is in at the moment is sublime and any deal now will only cause us salary cap issues. If there is room in the cap, I do hope they pay him overs even if its only for a year he has been arguably the best valued player dollar for dollar we have had or ever had and extra remuneration in his contract would be well deserved.

I doubt Betts would give a stuff at all about a 1 year contract at the end of next season.

I doubt Betts would give a stuff at all about a 1 year contract at the end of next season.

Which is why I said I dont think the AFC would give him more than 2 years but I agree they wont give him 1 year as that would be kinda of insulting.

Really depends on his form in 2017 to a larger extent. Some players once they hit 30 do dip, Betts hits that age in November so the Club will get a solid indication of what they are prepared to offer towards the end of 2017 season.

Personally I hope they sign him on for 2 years but I do believe it will be a substantial increase on his current contract.

Wasn't milne's career ended by rape charges?

Wasn't milne's career ended by rape charges?

IIRC i think he announced his retirement before charges were laid and he had to face court. I could be wrong.

With that said you could be right in that the Club may have given him the tap on the shoulder to end it that year given what was hanging over him.

Thread BUMPED .....BUMPED .....BUMPED

d360d7f65eae0eb12504b950b086fbcb

‘I didn’t want to play footy any more’
THERE can’t be a happier player in the AFL than Eddie Betts. The joy he brings to himself — and us watching — projects a feel of absolute satisfaction. The smile, the daggy shorts, the exhilarating football, be it a goal from the “Eddie Betts

THERE can’t be a happier player in the AFL than Eddie Betts.

It hasn’t always this way, though.

At 22, Betts wanted to quit football.

A gambling problem brought Betts to a point that one day, he jumped in his car, headed out on the Hume Highway, passed Craigieburn, past Donnybrook Lane and through Kalkallo, the destination being the crossroads between somewhere and nowhere.

As he neared the turn-off to Kilmore, Betts phoned long-time Carlton official Shane O’Sullivan and broke down.

“I didn’t know what I was doing, I was just driving in the direction towards to Sydney,’’ Betts says. “I was really upset. I told him I didn’t want to play footy any more and he told me to turn around and come back. I had the gambling problem, I was stressed out and there were a other things going on in my life.

“I went back, went into his office and I cried to Shanno. We had a chat and he put me back on the right track.

“You know, one of the hardest things about leaving Carlton was Shanno was in the room when I told everyone. I hugged him, I cried, I didn’t know what I was supposed to be doing. I went home and cried for a bit and after that I had to move on.’’

Betts had a gambling problem when he was recruited by Carlton at No. 3 in the 2005 pre-season draft.

940050-left.gif
I’m happy to talk about it because once you do get help, your life turns around. I’ve now got two beautiful kids, I own a couple of houses in Melbourne. Life’s different. Life’s great

- Eddie Betts
940141-right.gif

Pokies were the devil. It wasn’t big fry, but for Betts it was a situation he where spent is weekly allotment of cash pushing buttons.

“Tom was pretty good with my money. He’d save everything and give me a weekly base. But with that weekly base, I would spend on gambling and then I had try to live for the next week. Then I was asking people for money, borrowing money, and then I’d have to pay them back. It wasn’t healthy.

He also played football for the Mallee Park Peckers, which was the basis of his salvation, but for a time there, Betts’ life was footy, crime and drugs. Mum returned to Port Lincoln, feared the future and whisked her only son to Melbourne to join a TAFE indigenous program for talented footballers run by North Melbourne star Phil Krakouer.

Much to the frustration of those fans, there were several reasons why Betts moved across the border to Adelaide and the Crows.

940050-left.gif
Even if you could try to match it a little bit, I will stay, 100 per cent I will stay because I love the club so much. But in the end, it didn’t work out like that.

- Eddie Betts
940141-right.gif

His final season under coach Mick Malthouse was dogged by injury, suspension and so-so form.

“I didn’t have a problem with Mick, it was more so the injuries I had,’’ Betts says.
“I told Shane I would stay, but I’ve got family back there and this is what the Crows are offering me. Even if you could try to match it a little bit, I will stay, 100 per cent I will stay because I love the club so much. But in the end, it didn’t work out like that and here I am in Adelaide.’’

It’s understood the Crows offered Betts a four-year deal heavily loaded in the first year, but one which would average out to be about $500,000 a year over four years.

The Blues offered about $300,000 over two years with incentives loaded in for a possible third year.

So the initial scenario was: $2 million guaranteed or $900,000 if he plays well.

Betts spoke about Yarran before Yarran was granted indefinite leave by the Tigers.

“I’m feeling for Yaz,’’ he said. “He’s a good young kid, and he’s a great footballer, but he gets down on himself a lot. Once he gets going, he’s an absolute jet of a footballer and I hope he gets back to his best and gets his body right.’’

Betts has tried to talk to Yarran about his issues, but he says Yarran is a closed shop.

“I’ve heard a few things about what’s happening off field. I try to ask him if it’s true or not and he’s kind of not opening up to me. The stuff he’s going through is not good.’’

campaign.json

v1

fixturesandresults.json

Will be interesting to see if he considers himself more a Blue or a Crow by the time he retires.

He's done so much for our club, so I'm hoping the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be hard to hear as a Carlton fan that he would have stayed if they matched the contract.
Particularly when they are shelling $700k for daisy....

They weren't even in the ballpark were they ?? He's been worth way more than what we've paid him.

But going on topic, reckon he has 3 years in him by which time Charlie will have, injury permitting, established himself as a gun wing/mid and Milera will be just about ready to explode.

I know it hasn't got alot to beat but its easily the best bit of business done since DJ

Footy smarts and skill last longer than speed, burst, jump ect. Eddie is a very smart player. Physicality isnt really part of his game. I think he could play for another 4 or so. But we'd see more deft play and less specky attempts!

Thank god Carlton didn't match because let me tell you when Eddie gets the ball in the forward line the whole of AO sits on the edge of their seats and waits to see magic and we all roar with disbelief at the talent we've just seen, it unites us all!

In a way we havent seen since Modra, and i honestly thought we might not again - at least not to the same degree. Seeing my 4 year old son shout EDDIE every time we go forward brings it all back though and it's priceless.

An excellent article - the bloke is so honest. Incredible story and such an amazing asset for the football club, his story is such an inspirational one for all of the younger Aboriginal lads, so many of whom have the talent to play AFL but never get the chance due to making the wrong decisions - luckily for us his mother helped him make the right decisions.

An incredible recruit to the AFC on so many levels you wonder if CC would have reached the levels he has if EB was still at Carlton, such a great mentor.

Very keen to see Eddie work at AFC after he hangs the boots up the assistance he could provide on the Eyre Peninsula alone would be amazing.

Last edited:
Given your history of not signing multi-year deals for 30+ players, I don't see him being offered a 3 year deal next year (as he'll be 30).

JR may have a different LM strategy, but I can't imagine so.

He might get an extension this year, until the end of 2018. Then one year deals after that.

And if he continues to play the way he is at the moment that would be a huge mistake. I can hear other clubs rubbing their hands together already...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back