Traded Eddie Betts [traded to Carlton for 2020 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The suggestion has been made on Adelaide radio Eddie is looking to leave, the question was asked of JUdd about Carlton, who seemed open to the idea of Eddie going back there.

Maybe he will go back as more a mentoring role, as this year has shown he isn't in the game for the full game and is good for a few cameo things, but not really appropriate for any player to go missing for that long. It showed on the weekend again, he will do one or two spectacular things but is generally non existent

I would suggest there is no trade value

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah would be great for GC not just as a mentor for Rankine but for all of their younger players and their culture overall.
Agree. Word on the street in Adelaide is that it is a 2 year deal with a coaching position post career. There is also a report tonight stating GC are right into Greenwood. I would let them have Eddie for a nominal trade but Greenwood I would want more as he is just a victim of the club having a number of inside mids

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
The fairytale of him returning to Carlton would be of no use as we aren’t challenging for a club. Even though he’d walk in and be our best small forward, GC would be mad not to go after him, considering he won’t cost much. May as well as throw Gibbs into that offer too.

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree. Word on the street in Adelaide is that it is a 2 year deal with a coaching position post career. There is also a report tonight stating GC are right into Greenwood. I would let them have Eddie for a nominal trade but Greenwood I would want more as he is just a victim of the club having a number of inside mids
Levi?

The fairytale of him returning to Carlton would be of no use as we aren’t challenging for a club. Even though he’d walk in and be our best small forward, GC would be mad not to go after him, considering he won’t cost much. May as well as throw Gibbs into that offer too.

Eddie would be good for Carlton whether it be in an on or off field capacity. And he would certainly be an asset to the Suns.

Gibbs though I wouldn't have thought is a great fit, particularly if all the talk about his off-field issues are true. Not sure the Suns need that sort of baggage around their young kids, and he hasn't exactly been a great on-field leader over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
GC want him to be a mentor for Izak Rankine. He would play of course but imagine him and Izak running around the forward line together
I'd rather the Crows kept Eddie and he was a mentor for Rankine here. ;-)

Surely Carlton would consider taking him back? Even if it’s just for 1-2 years. Betts would drive the Carlton membership numbers up. He is a marquee player and he could do worse then kick 30 or 40 goals as a small forward roving to Curnow, McKay and McGovern inside 50.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton need a small forward. I wouldn't be against drafting a small forward and having eddie there for a year or 2 to teaching the new guy a few things. Eddie can play AFL if form warrants it while the new kid is developing in the VFL. 30 goals from eddie would be better than anything we have at the moment. Only trade eddie for a packet of chips, wouldn't give anything of value to get him

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton would be nice, but can’t see it happening. I can’t see Adelaide letting Betts go to Carlton for a 4th or 5th round pick, let’s be honest it’s overs, but there is too much recent history between the two clubs trading wise & I also don’t think it’s best for Carlton to spend a stack of time on it “negotiating” with Adelaide, bigger fish to fry. Meanwhile GC Adelaide will just let him go for a late late pick they won’t use

So...what's going on here? Will he be elsewhere in 2020?

Why don’t Carlton consider taking Betts back? Even if it’s just for 1-2 years. They would have an insane forward-line next year. He could do worse then kick 30-40 goals as a small forward.

HF: McGovern, Curnow, Fisher

F: Betts, McKay, Gibbons

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

So...what's going on here? Will he be elsewhere in 2020?
He hasnt been delisted. No one said he has. He will be traded.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Carlton would be nice, but can’t see it happening. I can’t see Adelaide letting Betts go to Carlton for a 4th or 5th round pick, let’s be honest it’s overs, but there is too much recent history between the two clubs trading wise & I also don’t think it’s best for Carlton to spend a stack of time on it “negotiating” with Adelaide, bigger fish to fry. Meanwhile GC Adelaide will just let him go for a late late pick they won’t use
He’s an UFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back